orange

Navy SEALS

Ever since I was a little girl at the age of 6 I wanted to be a Navy Seal. Everyday since that, I have been doing everything to become a Navy Seal. I am 14 right now and just figured out girls can't be SEALS. I was so mad, but who can stop me? I even made my own "O" Course. I do it every day after my school, it is in the forest behind my farm! biggrin.gif Still, it won't stop me till I truly become a Navy SEAL.

What is your guys' input on this? Are/were you in the SEALS?

Little Comment: Don't be negative on this thread only positive please!

Edited by orange

If I had the physical characteristics and a quarter of the ability needed to be a SEAL I'd be signed up already. Even the best of the best fail out of BUD/S. SEAL Team Six is a favorite book of mine.

My friend's father qualified and passed BUD/S, but then his son was born and he was severely injured in a training exercise, which was the end of the beginning of his career as a SEAL.

Aw sorry about your dad's friend sad.gif. I am the strongest 7th grader in my school which is Preschool-12th. Really really creepy *shivers*. I am going to be the first girl SEAL!!!!!! FTW

EDIT: Wait grammar correction. "I am the strongest kid in my school." Whew there!

Edited by orange

1) I want to prove that girls can be as or more powerful as men can

2) My great-grandpa was a WWII vet. and he was amazing, I just want to be like him. But only in Navy SEAL version. He was an Air Force Pilot.

3) I don't know. Just want to stop the military sexism.

EDIT: Level 6 baby

Edited by orange

One of the cool things about the SEALs is the fact that they don't allow girls...no offense but it seems like more of a guy thing. Another thing is that although it is true that some girls can be stronger than most men on average guys are stronger...it's not sexist to have separated sexes in the Olympics is it? tongue.gif

One of the best shirts i have seen lately read

Osama Bin-Laden - 0 | Navy SEALs - 1

Edited by Nightwalker

Well to bad. I am the kind of girl who likes beating the crap out of other people to save another, I love shooting guns, I love playing football. I basically have a guy personality with a girl body. I have massive guns! (muscles for all of you softies also i do have guns) Also. I don't care how many obstacles I will go through to become a Navy SEAL. I will be the best of the best. I don't care what others think of me. I am going to save the world one day.

Edited by orange

Ok, that is one hell of a worthy goal missy, thumbs up biggrin.gif

But, you wanting to be more powerful than us, as in physically ? blink.gif

I'm not saying don't go for it...maybe by the time you can they will allow girls...i am just personally not for it on many different levels tongue.gif

I shoot high and settle for less than my best. My favorite quote.

"Dreaming is the magic that can turn dreams into a reality."

(EDIT: The most stubborn girl here on these forums.)

My inspiration is the movie G.I Jane. Oh god I love that movie. Also, the shark. I don't know why when ever I see one I think. "I am going to be a Navy SEAL."

@Nightwalker I respect your opinion I get why a lot of guys don't want a girl fighting. A guy once said to me when I was talking about wanting to be a Navy SEAL.

"Really? You know that is a guy's job. Not a stupid girl's job. Girls are supposed to take care of the house and do laundry."

After that that just wanted me to be a NS even more.

Edited by orange

Well, this is the first time I've heard something like this and I must say Im impressed.

Wish you luck girly and really, if you want something that bad, dont ever give up on the dream, just keep going BUT be sure you know what you are getting into and dont confuse the romantic gesture of being a hero with the reality because the reality is not G.I.Jane....

Good luck !!!!! wink.gif

Yep I know. >> Tralalla working out lifting weights getting in shape getting biceps and guns!

It was just an inspiration of girls being of some importance in America. Cause really they don't.

Edited by orange

Orange that's not quite my belief...I believe girls shouldn't have to fight in battles for a few different reasons. First of all i believe that it is a man's job to protect his family and country. Men, psychologically as well as physically, are better at the physical protection of people. I am one of those guys who believes that the knights should have never gone away. At least the respect for women part. That's not saying that girls have to work on laundry i just don't think they belong in battle.

My other reason is the mental state of a man. Men are instinctively protective of women. That's just the way we are. Yes we can train with women enough to where we think that we can handle it but in the end every man has something deep down inside him that won't let him do certain things that might be needed in a battle. Even if the girl isn't all flirty and pretty guys can be attracted to her. Even if they aren't they would probably go out of their way to keep her safe which might endanger the whole mission.

This might sound really wrong to you but it's just what i believe...

Yep.. I read on the Wiki (not reliable source btw BUT ITS TRUE!) that girls are great snipers. Hehehe. I wonder if I look like a guy they will let me in >> <<

I am part of the Women's Equal Rights Movement so ya.

Yep I know. >> Tralalla working out lifting weights getting in shape getting biceps and guns!

It was just an inspiration of girls being of some importance in America. Cause really they don't.

Work the larger muscles first. Biceps are for show, you need a strong core and legs first. Then work on upper body in terms of back and shoulders. Finishing touches should be arms. Endless curls, etc. won't get you anywhere.

Many of the Marine ROTC programs around this area require their recruits to run 3 miles in under 19 minutes, they've got to be somewhat similar.

Looking good/buff/whatever does not mean strength. My SCUBA instructor is an ex-SEAL and he's fallen out of shape, but I've seen pictures of him when he was at his prime. He looked like a regular guy, plus ~15-20 pounds of extra muscle. He's never been a particularly big guy, but for a demonstration during class he tossed a kid (~120 pounds) into a pool like the kid was a rag doll.

edit: Sniper isn't an easy route either, arguably harder than just standard SEAL training. The disqualifying factor for me is vision, mine's terrible. I grouped 5 shots within a quarter sized spread from 200 yards a few times, (I've never been able to try longer shots) but that was with glasses. Being a sniper requires complicated on the fly math, including trig. The simplest of range problems in physics is d=vit + 1/2at^2 (this doesn't account for anything really, just gravity, not air pressures, etc). Bullets don't fly horizontally ever, they arc in a parabolic path and that has to be compensated for. Up to a certain distance point and shoot works, but on the longer shots, SEAL caliber shots, everything comes into play. Flight time, windage, angle of the shot and the Coriolis Effect (assuming that it actually is a long enough distance, I've heard of the best snipers taking it into account and that it makes a few inches difference, but I won't trust it until I see the math) can cause a bad shot.

Edited by spyro76

That is pretty inspiring orange. <3 I hope you do do it. Good luck!

@Nightwalker: I understand what you're saying, but I don't think it's fair to deny a capable woman a place in "battle" just because men are sometimes taught that women are pretty little things that need to be protected. :b In fact I think it's that teaching that would need to be changed. You don't remove the victim from a situation, you remove the one who put everyone at risk (aka the man who stopped the mission for the woman's safety). Women aren't responsible for how men behave. :3

I don't know a thing about the SEALS or the army in general though. I remember Phil talking about this before and that it would be a really hard change (esp. with facilities?), but I don't want to put words in his mouth. xP

Weights are for gym rats and muscleheaded, 'roid filled jerks. Bodyweight exercises get you strong, fast. They work more muscles, more effectively. 20 pull ups is far more impressive than benching a good weight. It's practical strength.

Start with push ups, pull ups, and hanging knee lifts. Lose situps, it's a waste of time and effort. Hanging knee lifts work your core more effectively, especially when you do side ones as well. When you're strong enough, do hanging leg lifts with perfectly straight legs. If you can't hold your legs perfectly straight, don't do leg lifts, do knee lifts. Build up. Don't push yourself too much. Once you get to several sets of 20+ leg lifts, you should try dragonflags. Look em up. The first time I did one, ONE rep cleanly, my abs were sore for 3 days.

Not to leave out legs, bodyweight squats are underrated. Do them. Lots of them. When they're too easy, try pistol squats (one leg, putting your other leg in front as you go down) and shrimp squats (holding one leg behind your back by the foot, like a runner stretch). Chair lunges are good as well.

Seriously, try bodyweight sometime. Even if you're good at weights, I bet you'll find bodyweight challenging. The thing is, hardcore lifters can't usually knock out 100 push ups or 20 pull ups, but hardcore bodyweight trainers can lift weights no problem. That tells me bodyweight is better for strength overall. Think about it.

I don't know a thing about the SEALS or the army in general though. I remember Phil talking about this before and that it would be a really hard change (esp. with facilities?), but I don't want to put words in his mouth. xP

wow, someone remembers my posts <3 haha tongue.gif

Yes, it would be a complex change. I'm not for it. But I'm not going to try to stop her if that's her dream. If she can be the leader of a change and show that women can do it, she should go for it.

Edited by philpot123

I don't really know that much about SEALs (army brat instead), but hey, if that is your goal, shoot for it.

I must say, though, that I agree with Nightwalker (4 posts up). Girls just aren't made for warfare they way guys are, physically and mentally.

I'm all for equality of girls in things, I'm going into astrophysics, a region ruled by men currently. But on the other hand some things are simply the guys realm, warfare I believe is one of them.

Edit: That is 4 posts up now.

Edited by OceanSecrets

I can se why people might not want female navy seals, but I don't really think they should ban women from trying to become one. If she's physically capable, why not?

But Orange, though I Think it's great that you've allready started working out and whatnot to prepare, make sure you do it properly, kay? You said you're 14, you shouldn't be lifting wheights until you're 16, you're still growing. Stick to using your own bodywheight as resistance for a little longer or you might end up with arms a fair bit longer than planned. Other than that, listen to the tips Spyro and Phil gave you and remember to eat and drink properly. With the wrong nutrition workouts can work against their purpose. Oh and remember "the worst enemy og excelence is comfort" :c)

I can se why people might not want female navy seals, but I don't really think they should ban women from trying to become one. If she's physically capable, why not?

But Orange, though I Think it's great that you've allready started working out and whatnot to prepare, make sure you do it properly, kay? You said you're 14, you shouldn't be lifting wheights until you're 16, you're still growing. Stick to using your own bodywheight as resistance for a little longer or you might end up with arms a fair bit longer than planned. Other than that, listen to the tips Spyro and Phil gave you and remember to eat and drink properly. With the wrong nutrition workouts can work against their purpose. Oh and remember "the worst enemy og excelence is comfort" :c)

Good point. Nutrition is a big deal. Don't buy into fancy supplements either. If you feel you aren't healing from your workouts as fast as you should, get straight whey powder and find something you can stomach it with. Milk, water, ice cream, whatever you can get a good amount down with that isn't unhealthy in the amount you're taking in. Stuff like muscle milk, creatine, that stuff can mess you up if you aren't careful. Just from personal experience, you get better results with JUST protein powder anyways. You might not even need any help though. High protein diet with tuna, peanut butter and a few glasses of milk should be enough to get you through tongue.gif

If you ever want to PM me, I can walk you through some good bodyweight workouts to get you started. I trained really hard for about a year, and at my peak I broke sets of 100 push ups easy, my max set of pull ups (clean) was 27, I did a set of 60+ dips... Here I am about a year without training and I can still knock out sets of 50 push ups and 20 pull ups easy. It's practical strength that stays with you, and prepares you better for the armed forces fitness tests. I blew some Marines away with pull ups at one of those stations they have set up at fairs wink.gif I did 23 clean without any kicking. Won a shirt. It was fun tongue.gif but yeah, if you want to get strong, give it a try. It's WAY worth it.

I'm tired of hearing the (unfounded) assumption that men are "physically and mentally better suited for warfare." What's that even mean? This isn't the 1700s any more. Being military personnel does *not* automatically mean that you'll be marching 500 miles cross-country, for instance. Also, men and women have separate but equally valuable physical strengths. Men have more upper body strength. Women have a lower center of gravity, and a higher pain tolerance. Both would be useful in a "foot soldier," if that's the concern.

And mentally? Really? No one has explained that statement. I've known several military women who handled their experience just fine, thanks. And please, please, don't tell me that "men are better suited for it mentally because men are more aggressive and like to fight." Puh-leeze. If anything, we should be selecting military personnel who *aren't* trigger-happy, people who will consider the situation and keep a level head. Both men and women are capable of that.

It's also fine to be female and aspire to a military career. If you want to be a Navy SEAL, I say go for it. If it ends up not being possible, you'll be well-suited for a number of other military or intelligence careers, which you may find yourself enjoying or caring about just as much. There's no reason not to aim for it!

To the people who state that men are naturally protective of women and don't want to see them fighting or at risk -- really? ReAlLy? That's their choice, NOT yours! Furthermore, men aren't any more "naturally protective" of other human beings than women are. In fact, I would argue that the "natural" argument falls more to the female side, as women are physically the bearers and nurturers of life. The male aspect of protecting women strikes me as more of a cultural creation. Sure, all humans should care about protecting all other humans. But men in war-torn countries also rape and/or kill women with abandon, even women of their own people. That doesn't sound like men "naturally" protecting women, to me!

When there's sexism afoot, it's a no-win argument. A man who doesn't want to see a woman in warfare could say, on one hand, that men are naturally the protectors of women -- and, on the other hand, that if women are more naturally inclined to protect, then they shouldn't be involved in a job where the taking of lives might be demanded of her. See what I mean? It can be twisted any way you want. But the bottom line is, we're all intelligent beings with free will, and can decide for ourselves if we're willing to join the military and follow difficult orders and a potentially violent career path or not. The end.

If you ever want to PM me, I can walk you through some good bodyweight workouts to get you started. I trained really hard for about a year, and at my peak I broke sets of 100 push ups easy, my max set of pull ups (clean) was 27, I did a set of 60+ dips... Here I am about a year without training and I can still knock out sets of 50 push ups and 20 pull ups easy. It's practical strength that stays with you, and prepares you better for the armed forces fitness tests. I blew some Marines away with pull ups at one of those stations they have set up at fairs wink.gif I did 23 clean without any kicking. Won a shirt. It was fun tongue.gif but yeah, if you want to get strong, give it a try. It's WAY worth it.

Does that go for the rest of the world as well? rolleyes.gif I need improve my strength...

Also while we were on nutrition, not only does proper nutrition make a workout more effective, it gives you more energy and makes it more fun. At least that's my experiance. So don't underestimate the value of proper nutrition. And sleep. Sleep is also important.

Also, do you stretch after working out? Flexibility may not be too important for a navy seal, but it's good to have anyway. It reduces your risk of injury and whatnot, so it might be a gold investment if you don't want an injury to ruin you career. And being flexible impresses nearly everyone, and it's always fun to be able impresses people tongue.gif

Does that go for the rest of the world as well? rolleyes.gif I need improve my strength...

Also while we were on nutrition, not only does proper nutrition make a workout more effective, it gives you more energy and makes it more fun. At least that's my experiance. So don't underestimate the value of proper nutrition. And sleep. Sleep is also important.

Also, do you stretch after working out? Flexibility may not be too important for a navy seal, but it's good to have anyway. It reduces your risk of injury and whatnot, so it might be a gold investment if you don't want an injury to ruin you career. And being flexible impresses nearly everyone, and it's always fun to be able impresses people tongue.gif

definitely smile.gif If you want to! I'll be glad to help and direct you to sources that can help you out.

Flexibility is ALWAYS important. Think about the physical exercises in training like rope climbs, obstacle courses etc. and how much easier they are when you're flexible! And it's always safer.

So, orange, I don't really know that much about SEALs. Other than that they are the Navy's elite. Could you maybe tell a little about them, for starters what does the acronym stand for?

(I could go look this all up, but it is finals week, and I'm feeling lazy. tongue.gif)

If you don't feel like telling me all about them that's fine, I'll look it up, but if you do, then great! If you're anything like me you like to ramble on about the things you love.

About boys vs girls in warfare and the whole mentality thing:

Boys and girls are different there is no getting around that fact. Boys tend to be more aggressive, they will make weapons out of anything. Give a child a handful of Lego mini-figures. A girl will make them play house, or something similar, a boy on the other hand will make them do battle. A generalization, but it is generally true.

This isn't to say that women can't or shouldn't fight, but our methods and reasons for fighting may not be the same.

And now the scientist in me is saying "You don't have any research to back up everything else you want to say (plus some of what you already said), it is all just personal observation and assumptions." So I'll be quiet now on that topic.

(Incidentally, I think it would be interesting and fun to debate this topic, so long as it is just for fun and people aren't getting all hyped up about it. I like arguing, 'cause it makes you think and gives you a firm grounding in what you believe.)

About boys vs girls in warfare and the whole mentality thing:

Boys and girls are different there is no getting around that fact. Boys tend to be more aggressive, they will make weapons out of anything. Give a child a handful of Lego mini-figures. A girl will make them play house, or something similar, a boy on the other hand will make them do battle. A generalization, but it is generally true.

This isn't to say that women can't or shouldn't fight, but our methods and reasons for fighting may not be the same.

I definitely see your point; they are different. In a very physical sense -- boys have more testosterone, girls have more estrogen -- as well as culturally, in the way the genders are raised. It just doesn't make a valid argument against women joining the military, which you've also pointed out. smile.gif

I think there are two main reasons that argument falls through: one, being "aggressive" isn't the key to being a good soldier (and can even hinder a unit, if you have one or two live wires in the group; it's much more important to keep a cool head, listen to orders, be prepared, have physical and mental stamina, etc. and *not* to be impulsive or stir up trouble) and two, it's not a question of the majority of women joining the military, but of a few who feel personally drawn to it, strongly enough to hurdle a high wall of sexism. So even if "most" women wouldn't be *inclined* to be a good soldier, clearly these few in the minority *are.*

Random "boys and girls are different" story -- when I was very little, only a little over 1 year old, and my brother was 3, we were on a short vacation and my mom was tickled to find that, as we walked along, my brother was picking up rocks he liked and pocketing them, while I was picking flowers. She was just so amused to see that kind of difference in interests so inherent, so early on.

And oh, oh, I ditto the earlier poster -- tell me more about the Navy SEALS, please! I'd love to know more.