Kila

Migration

Support only if:

1. ALL dragons that can drop in the biomes are affected, NO EXCEPTIONS. Yes, this means that your precious metallics, ultra-useful BSA dragons and the three elementals essential for GoN summoning are NOT exempt from temporary rarity increase. Allowing exceptions is just going to lead to suggestions about what should (not) be exempt from migrations and (accusations of) favoritism, which is basically opening a can of worms.

2. "Migrated" dragons remain available as CBs with increased rarity, instead of being completely unavailable. This way you can, at least theoratically and with much difficulty, get out-of-season CB dragons that you desire.

3. Breeding is unaffected. It makes no sense for dragons that you own to suddenly become largely infertile just because their wild cousins migrated somewhere else. It also ensures availability of "utility" dragons (basically all the BSA dragons) regardless of their current migration status. This will most likely require reworking of the ratios system (which frankly makes no sense in its current state anyway) in order to not have unintended sideeffects, the most simple solution I can think of is to just disconnect bred dragons from ratios and base breeding on fixed probabilities (which makes more sense to me anyway).
Other non-essential suggestions:
  1. Migration should be based on elemental affiliation (Creation/Change/Destruction/Neutral). This was suggested in another thread, which I think to be making more sense for immersion purposes, since with the current biomes in the game, any climate-induced migrations would realisitcally just result in dragons shifting through available biomes instead of disappearing for a time.
    • This currently presents a potential problem: Both gold and silver, the top-tier CB trading currency of the game in its present state, are affiliated with Creation. Without adding in more equal-rarity dragons affiliated with other elements, this is probably going to crash the trade market. Hard. On the other hand it may end the current stagnation of the trade market, which seems to be obsessed with metallics and metallics only.
    • A more serious problem with element-based migration is that the distribution of element affiliation is currently heavily stacked against all non-Creation elements. A possible quick fix is to dump all the neutral breeds into either Change or Destruction, which may very well not work for a lot of them. A long-term fix is to release new dragons in a way that keeps the elements (mostly) balanced.
    • Seasonals are basically screwed since they change based on season, not element. I am not in favor of making them completely exempt, instead I propose a completely different migration pattern that is only followed by them:
      • Instead of following element-based migrations, seasonals "migrate" by season with each season counted as a seperate breed.
        • This means that for a period near the season change, say from Spring to Summer, Springs gradually go rarer and rarer, and Summer starts out rare but gradually becomes more common, and the overall rarity of CB seasonals rise during the changing period, only gradually returning to normal as the last season starts to disappear (i.e. the rarity goes through a bell-shaped curve).
        • The period of season changing should be long enough for it to matter (e.g. it starts a month before season change and ends a month afterwards).
      • Probably not the best solution, but better than giving them total immunity or allowing them to be screwed by element-based migration in my opinion.
  2. The shift in rarity should be gradual, not instantaneous. Aside from making little sense, having instant migrations is probably going to screw with the ratios real hard. Having elemental seasons shift in a month (assuming that each "season" lasts a few months) sounds good to me, but that's still just an arbitary number that I'm using as an example.
(Off-topic: To anyone who wishes to partially quote this post, I wish you good luck for not breaking the BBCode *lol*) Edited by CNR4806