Jaceevoke

Do you want there to be more CB metallics?

@ everyone who says inbred/high-gen metals are still wanted

That is true, for some- maybe a lot- of people. However:

1) "Will take" does not mean "prefer". The desirability of cb metals is much greater than that of "badly" lineaged bred metals, for almost every person. I would gladly trade 20 of my old inbred metals (adults) for a single cb metal were it possible to do so. 95%+ of forum goers would want a cb metal over an inbred metal.

2) The chance of breeding a metal is the same for a 2nd gen as for a 20th gen. By breeding the insanely high-gen metals, lower-gen metals have less of a chance of producing. If you are gifting/dropping to the AP anyway, why not leave more breeding chances to the lower gens?

3) Breeding high-gen/inbred metals also produces a lot of inbred/high-gen commons that few people prefer. Often metals are bred to blacks/stripes, which is one cause of cb blacks and stripes being ridiculously rare as well. All those common eggs affect their ratios too. I'm also sure most of us would like those breeds to be more common and the AP to be less clogged with eggs with ugly lineages.

4) Those common eggs get picked up by newbies or people who don't care, who then breed them to more dragons, creating yet more inbred common eggs..

I don't see how enough people would follow OP's suggestion for anyone to notice, but let's face it, the reason each of us individually is not trying it is that we are greedy. That applies for me too. smile.gif

I don't breed my commons because I want to get all of them from the AP to help clear out the wall of unwanted eggs... besides, if the rares become more common they won't be as rare anymore.

Often metals are bred to blacks/stripes, which is one cause of cb blacks and stripes being ridiculously rare as well.

This one I think is particularly interesting. It's a self-perpetuating cycle - people breed metals to blacks and stripes since they're less common, therefore higher chance of getting a metal than if you bred with an extremely common type - and they're less common because people breed them so often? xd.png

I'd almost like to see more of a supply and demand type of functioning in the cave - if the same breeds sit around on the front page or AP, fewer people want them, so why is there a need for the cave to force there to be that many? Nothing against the breeds of course, they just maybe less "useful" in terms of lineages or BSA's. And it doesn't make a whole lot of sense when blacks which are supposed to be common (and ARE pretty common, if you look at click sites, just have long messy lineages) but a CB will trade for rares like metals and trios easily. Hell, the first gold I ever caught was a CB, but I've still never even seen a CB black yet.

I still think a limit on how long adult dragons are counted toward the ratios would help a lot, too. Make it so all the people who have collected a lot of them, or the ones who stopped playing the game for a long time, their adults won't continue to be counted toward the ratios and newer people can have a chance to get the same things.

1) "Will take" does not mean "prefer". The desirability of cb metals is much greater than that of "badly" lineaged bred metals, for almost every person. I would gladly trade 20 of my old inbred metals (adults) for a single cb metal were it possible to do so. 95%+ of forum goers would want a cb metal over an inbred metal.

I think the point is a bit different: most people, especially "newbies" can't choose between long gen-inbred metal or cb metal. Their only choice can be long gen-inbred matal or no metal at all. And by "newby" I mean also people here from about one year, like me.

If you don't have a cb holly (which a neaby can't have), a cb old pink (which a newby can't have), an alt valentine or 09 valentine (which a newby can't have) you have more chances at winning at the lottery that receive a cb gold. While if you breed your 5th gen - not so clean - maybe inbred gold you may be willing to gift the egg to someone else.

Imho stop breeding metals may increase a bit the number of cb metals, but almost all of them will go to people that can spend hours in the cave every day and to poeple who have really great things to trade for them. And they, like now, would be completely out of reach for almost all "newbies"

This (or similar) kind of topic is brought up every now and then for at least a year and half. Each time a new wave of members come and realize the basec mechanics of DC, smb come up with such suggestion. I agree with kadoatie, if there was a chance that at least 75-80% of players (all DC players, not only Forum registered) will follow, it would work. But unfortunately, people will never stop to breed metallics, and players wouldn't stop to breed even commons, because there're tons of lineage projects. And I would say, it's good, since, first, it allows everyone to play in their own, unique way, and second, and keeps metallics really rare, so they can be used as absolute currency. Make them common, and what would you trade?

I am really happy DC havent got any stated rules on how to play, other than the rules implented in the game... sutch as only two christmas etc.

This is still a game where anyone can play as they think make cense for them.

I for one, likes nice linneages and cb eggs. I have several metalics i breed for trading to get other nice eggs. Thats my way of playing DC... and sure, id like it to be more cb metalics too, but still... that would make them less rare, and not that good trades either. And from my point, Thats bad. wink.gif

And then theres another aspect as well... when we are talking about innbreeding, no breeding bad lines, etc... My daughter is also playing DC, and having lots of funn both breeding and collecting.

One of her favorites now is nebula and glorydrakes, due to their nice colors and good sprites.

And thats why i can almost guarantee that theese dragons will be both massbreed and inbreed. Simply becourse she loves the sprites and This is one way to get more of them...

If i where eihter the spriters, or TJ, id take this as å compliment. wink.gif

So, to stop breeding, inbreeding, or other things that are doable, but not well thougt of... might destroy the game for other players...

And even if i like even lines, i have to say my nine years old daughter seems to enjoy her dragons and the hunt as mutch as my self... even if shes got several inbreeds and none metalics...

Just my little experience... *s*

I am seeing CB metallics more often than I used to. And if you go to the Rare Trading thread, they are offering them up all the time for trades.

Personally, I am a gifter in 2 different threads for the rarer breeds, so I won't quit breeding my metallics at all, even though they hardly breed as it is. I do collect commons all the time, as I like them, but as probably more than 1/2 the people that use Dragon Cave aren't even on the forum, I doubt the plan would even have a shot at working.

Nah I think there is just the right amount for now.

Just to mention, the last post on here previous to yours is from Feb 1, 2011, and circumstances have changed, lol.

Just to mention, the last post on here previous to yours is from Feb 1, 2011, and circumstances have changed, lol.

I know tongue.gif

Sometimes resurrecting a thread that people might not know is there is a good thing. If it creates new interest, that's a good thing, right?

I missed a CB Gold yesterday and a CB Silver today so I'm back to my good ol' record of suckdom. But I did have to chance to click on them. rolleyes.gif

Sometimes resurrecting a thread that people might not know is there is a good thing.  If it creates new interest, that's a good thing, right?

Very true.

But I've read (somebody please correct me if this is wrong?) that apparently breeding ratios are now separate from the CB ratios.

In any event, this old thread encouraging people to load up the AP with bred commons, and likely producing among these more messy lineages that almost nobody can use, unless perhaps for Frozen hatchies, (and which bred messies, if bred by new owners, would mess up the 'gene pool' more, a problem finally much reduced) would not only create long-term problems in an increase of virtually utterly unwanted dragons over CBs/nicely lineaged ones people can use in the AP

but the unwanted messies would sit in the AP longer, piling up to prevent the potentially useful eggs in the AP from coming up where people can hunt through them for something they want/can use,

affecting the myriad benefits we now see from from the AP at a time when the Cave is often blocked with Blocker breeds and not moving much of the time, so that this alternative, if many people were following this suggestion, would be also chronically blocked with unwanted dragons, and hunting spoilt in both the Cave and AP.

Old problems don't need to be revived, lol.

I myself would like to see more. Esp. coppers, silvers and golds. As for the breeding part well don't forget too that there will be others like moi who tried breeding their cb metallics and get the so called finger with either a regular egg, no egg or a refusal. For example my last 2nd gen. gold was in 2010!!! And none since then. I have been trying but nothing to show for it.

And as for my 2nd gen. coppers I have tried breeding all 4 and none of them got me a copper egg sad.gif And it seems the traders are wanting cb metallic for cb metallic and some of us just don't have the time to sit half the day in the drops looking for one and due to the cave running so slow and there not being any in that drop.

The lists for the coppers is always filled and I was one of those who just never got around to getting any cb coppers when they were first released. I have a cb gold but that was way back in 2008 when the drops were a lot different back then. Not as many people then either. And I got a cb brown copper but that is it as it seems they are back to being sporadic again.

Edited by LuvDragons

My point on the topic: It is VERY unlikely that you would be able to get people to stop breeding their metals because of the people like me whom love metals of any gen, lineage, etc. and its up to Tj whether or not he adds more or less cb metals ^^

Just my opinion

And the ap is already full of unwanted commons, do we really need more?

My point on the topic: It is VERY unlikely that you would be able to get people to stop breeding their metals because of the people like me whom love metals of any gen, lineage, etc. and its up to Tj whether or not he adds more or less cb metals ^^

Just my opinion

And the ap is already full of unwanted commons, do we really need more?

I have been playing DC off and on since 2008 and the same issue comes up repeatedly. "Waaa not enough CB Metallics" "Waaaa the AP is clogged with commons and nothing good ever comes through there..." Metallics in the Cave are RARES they will always stay RARE hence their value. The AP will always be full of commons because they are COMMON and therefore easily replaced with another just like it.

My advice is everyone needs to take a chill pill, and do a happy dance if you find a rare in the Cave. Help unclog the AP by taking ER eggs, hatching them and sending the hatchling back into the AP if you don't want it. Someone will snag up a hatchling quick. If the egg is really poorly lineaged, turn it into a vampire, and it will be snatched up quickly. If we all did these small things the AP would unclog quickly.

Sit back, relax and enjoy the game, none of are the rulers of the DC universe (only TJ is) and people are free to breed anything they want, when they want, to what they want. After all, they are only pixel pets not real animals nor are they really worth anything but enjoyment to YOU.