RecycledHeart

Updating old sprites

If there is already topic for this, please merge them. Didn't find any when I searched though.

This is in no way suggesting for spriters to do this. This is just to get people's THOUGHTS on the matter and what they think about it.

A lot of the older sprites pale in comparison to the newer ones and I'm thinking we should update them. What I mean by that is this: The newer sprites are more anatomically correct, more detailed and have much better shading. The older sprites look more washed out (at least to me) because their shading isn't as good, their limbs tend to look odd thanks to anatomically incorrect placement, and they don't have as much details. This is for fixing anatomy and shading flaws.

Should holidays get updated?

"as for any Holidays I believe they would stay like the Hollies and never get update as they are a special release limited dragon only available 1 week out of the year." -Asketil

Thoughts on this?

Edited by RecycledHeart

From what I know there are several ideas at an updated silver sprite floating around, as for any Holidays I believe they would stay like the Hollies and never get update as they are a special release limited dragon only available 1 week out of the year.

Edit: Removed links.

Edited by Asketil

From what I know there are several ideas at an updated silver sprite floating around, as for any Holidays I believe they would stay like the Hollies and never get update as they are a special release limited dragon only available 1 week out of the year.

For me when I look at a pumpkin, their right wing membrane blends in with the pumpkin and it looks like they only have one wing. But I'll add what you said to the op.

Here are the lovely Seasonal updates that will likely never be implemented. D:

More polishes/replacements that will never be used. Got so much flak over these, was *****ed at and piled on and ranted at for so long, with only two or three people actually giving me GOOD concrit, that I just decided to pull out and not do it anymore.
Edited by Niyaka

Here are the lovely Seasonal updates that will likely never be implemented. D:

More polishes/replacements that will never be used. Got so much flak over these, was censorkip.gif*ed at and piled on and ranted at for so long, with only two or three people actually giving me GOOD concrit, that I just decided to pull out and not do it anymore.

That's awful what they did. They shouldn't have been so rude. I really hope that Verridith decides to use them again in the future.

I do also have 1 comment, if the sprites were to be updated I think they would need to stay as true to the originals as possible minus any flaws in anatomy and just make they more detailed...otherwise people will have a feild day over what pose they liked better. Or to make updates and have them posted in the 'News' section so people can comment and know what is up a head of time.

I do also have 1 comment, if the sprites were to be updated I think they would need to stay as true to the originals as possible minus any flaws in anatomy and just make they more detailed...otherwise people will have a feild day over what pose they liked better. Or to make updates and have them posted in the 'News' section so people can comment and know what is up a head of time.

Exactly. Just anatomy and shading flaws should be changed.

A lot of the older sprites pale in comparison to the newer ones

I greatly disagree with this

I like all of the sprites, but some of the older ones really are a bit less polished than the newer ones. For example, the shading on the underside of the Green's wing has always bugged me. The flatness of the Dorsals has made them seem rather bland to me. There were more restrictions on sprites in the beginning, mainly that they had to use far fewer colors. That may contribute to why some of their shading does not seem as "good" as on newer sprites.

I feel like you're misunderstanding me there and I'm gonna go back to edit it to make it more clear but here's what I meant by that.

The newer sprites are more anatomically correct, more detailed and have much better shading. The older sprites look more washed out (at least to me) because their shading isn't as good, their limbs tend to look odd thanks to anatomically incorrect placement, and they don't have as much details.

That's what I meant.

This has been suggested before and shot down because DC users LIKE/LOVE their older dragons. Sure, with practice the artists get better. The older sprites are 'historical' and I think they should stay the way they are and the artists should go on creating more and more beautiful new ones. I really enjoy watching the artistic growth that happens and not everything should look just like everything else. Just my own humble opine.

The new Seasonals look kinda weird. Hmm, how do I put it... looks like they're pretty emaciated.

NO.

I think this decision should belong to the spriters and to spriters only.It's a delicate issue in many ways and I don't think we, users, should discuss this.

And I also think it's terrible to come and say "A lot of the older sprites pale in comparison to the newer ones". I disagree. The silver dragons are one of my favorites and I consider them much better than some of the recent releases.

also

This has been suggested before and shot down because DC users LIKE/LOVE their older dragons. Sure, with practice the artists get better. The older sprites are 'historical' and I think they should stay the way they are and the artists should go on creating more and more beautiful new ones. I really enjoy watching the artistic growth that happens and not everything should look just like everything else. Just my own humble opine.

THIS.

Edited by danicast

Yes but lineage wise, they look awkward together to me. If you want historical then just look at the dates when you caught your dragons, or badges. Change isn't always necessarily bad. If a spriter gets better with time and wants to update their old work then I believe they should. If a spriter is no longer active here though, then it's up to Tj if he has the right to touch their old work.

NO.

I think this decision should belong to the spriters and to spriters only.It's a delicate issue in many ways and I don't think we, users, should discuss this.

And I also think it's terrible to come and say "A lot of the older sprites pale in comparison to the newer ones". I disagree. The silver dragons are one of my favorites and I consider them much better than some of the recent releases.

also

THIS.

I am not trying to hurt feelings here, or anything of the sort. It is a personal preference of yours that you think that silvers are better than most new releases. It is a personal preference of mine that I disagree. That is why I made this topic to get opinions. Ultimately the decision is left up to the spriters ofc. But I do not appreciate being belittled because of my opinion.

Edit: Don't attack me for saying something that is in no way trying to be negative, rude or insulting. I am 98% sure that if I was a spriter here and I had a dragon released years ago and I look back on it today, I would think to myself "I can do better than that now" It really pisses me off

Edited by RecycledHeart

Thoughts on this?

A bad penny always turns up. I wish the threads about the earliers suggestion of replacing the silvers weren't hidden (as I can't find them even in the list of my own posts) so we wouldn't have to go through this topic over and over again.

A good portion of the users - me included - loathe the replacement in itself, regardless of the quality of the replacement sprite. A replacement messes with the user's scroll and forcibly takes away something they played sometimes years to accomplish. A replaced dragon is nothing more than an imposter.

Unless it is either optional or only dragons caught/bred after a replacement, a replacement will anger many players, and rightly so.

Edited by Rally Vincent

I am not trying to hurt feelings here, or anything of the sort. It is a personal preference of yours that you think that silvers are better than most new releases. It is a personal preference of mine that I disagree. That is why I made this topic to get opinions. Ultimately the decision is left up to the spriters ofc. But I do not appreciate being belittled because of my opinion.

It's exactly because it is a matter of preference that this subject should not be discussed. The last time that we had a thread like this it ended in fights and spriter's feelings getting hurt.

Our job is to collect dragons and appreciate them, not to propose to the spriters to make changes in dragons that are already in the site for a long time.

Let the spriters decide if they want to update anything.

Edit: Don't attack me for saying something that is in no way trying to be negative, rude or insulting. I am 98% sure that if I was a spriter here and I had a dragon released years ago and I look back on it today, I would think to myself "I can do better than that now" It really pisses me off

I'm not attacking you. Just phrase your sentences better, then. Your comment was borderline offensive. I already saw spriters feel sad and offended with comments like this.

And remember, not everybody thinks like you. If you want to discuss anything you must keep that in mind, people have different opinions.

Edited by danicast

A bad penny always turns up. I wish the threads about the earliers suggestion of replacing the silvers weren't hidden (as I can't find them even in the list of my own posts) so we wouldn't have to go through this topic over and over again.

A good portion of the users - me included - loathe the replacement in itself, regardless of the quality of the replacement sprite. A replacement messes with the user's scroll and forcibly takes away something they played sometimes years to accomplish. A replaced dragon is nothing more than an imposter.

Unless it is either optional or only dragons caught/bred after a replacement, a replacement will anger many players, and rightly so.

Even if they were not drastically changed, just updated with accurate shading and anatomy? I don't think they would look terribly different, but better in a few ways. Would you hate the update on principle, even if it was really good? I know that some spriters have wanted their dragons to be updated, but they were still attacked for it. Dragons like the Guardian of Nature have been updated, but they still are recognizable as the same dragon. It definitely wasn't bad before at all, but can't you see improvement?

user posted image -> user posted image

Edited by Niyaka

Even if they were not drastically changed, just updated with accurate shading and anatomy? I don't think they would look terribly different, but better in a few ways. Would you hate the update on principle, even if it was really good? I know that some spriters have wanted their dragons to be updated, but they were still attacked for it. Dragons like the Guardian of Nature have been updated, but they still are recognizable as the same dragon. It definitely wasn't bad before at all, but can't you see improvement?

user posted image -> user posted image

It's a good example, specially because the GoN update was the spriter's idea and not public demand. If any other spriter decide to update their dragons I think we should support but I also think we should not suggest them to update. It must be their decision.

Would you hate the update on principle, even if it was really good?

Because it is not the dragon I caught and raised, and because it is respectless to take away something from other user's scrolls. Would you replace a painting of Rembrandt with a photo because it looks more realistic?

I will not comment on "really good" so nobody will use that to derail the discussion (like it always has been done in the past). "Really good" is a matter of opinion, that is all I'm going to say.

Edited by Rally Vincent

Vintage dragons are vintage.

They have a charm of their own, flaws and all.

I agree with the updating.

I'm not saying drastically changed, like those Seasonals (I personally don't like them), but the Silvers look great! They look the same, just with better shadowing and details. They actually look silver instead of gray.

Please don't missunderstand me. I really like some old sprites, that's why I reacted when I saw those Seasonals. Winters are my personal favorite and I really don't like how they turned out at all. However, I do believe that if the spriter agrees, they can take the old sprite and update it, it doesn't have to be a new sprite. Just add better shadowing and stuff, just to make them fit better.

Off course, this wouldn't be mandatory for every spriter and will be done only if they want and have the time.

Edited by Ylvanne

It's a good example, specially because the GoN update was the spriter's idea and not public demand. If any other spriter decide to update their dragons I think we should support but I also think we should not suggest them to update. It must be their decision.

Which I completely agree with. I'm not trying to suggest anything to spriters or force them to do anything. I just wanted to know people's thoughts on the idea.

I'm not saying drastically changed, like those Seasonals (I personally don't like them), but the Silvers look great! They look the same, just with better shadowing and details. They actually look silver instead of gray.

Please don't missunderstand me. I really like some old sprites, that's why I reacted when I saw those Seasonals. Winters are my personal favorite and I really don't like how they turned out at all. However, I do believe that if the spriter agrees, they can take the old sprite and update it, it doesn't have to be a new sprite. Just add better shadowing and stuff, just to make them fit better.

Off course, this wouldn't be mandatory for every spriter and will be done only if they want and have the time.

This pretty much sums up my opinions.

Yup. Those Seasonals I saw did not look like a good change to the current sprites. But those Silvers were stunning! However, it should be based on choice entirely