Sro

RWBY

Hi, I'd like to introduce you to my new favorite thing; RWBY. It's an anime-esque CGI series by RoosterTeeth (who made Red VS Blue), specifically Monty Oum. Basically, it's about four girls who go to a highly-respected school to become monster hunters. It's only seven episodes in, but it's really great, so I suggest you watch it.

Here's the link to it, if you're interested. Each episode, save for the pilot, is around 4-6 minutes long, so it shouldn't take you long to get caught up with it.

This'll serve as a general discussion thread for it. Have fun!

Necro-posting this because it's a great series. Just watched the latest 8 episodes and wow. I'm loving this more than I should.

While the series has some major flaws and the art style can be very... uh... irksome, I guess, It's definitely worth a watch.

While the series has some major flaws and the art style can be very... uh... irksome, I guess, It's definitely worth a watch.

That's exactly what I was gonna say. xd.png I totally agree with that.

My friend begged me to watch this, so I did. Since the episodes are so small, it didn't take long. It took me a while to get used to the style of art, but afterwards I began to enjoy it. It has some really funny lines in it.

*strange animal sound* I still don't think that's what a sloth sounds like.

I've seen the first episode. The style of art reminds me of MMD (Miku Miku Dance).

That's what I and my other friends assumed too until they announced it was done in Poser...

I had...really high expectations for this series and they have been shot-down various times. To put it as nice as I can, I was/am really disappointed and I wanted to love it but I've ended up feeling the opposite towards it I guess.

On a strangely good note; I actually quite like the side characters(Minus the Monty self-insert), Nora's simply adorable and Jaune's enjoyable.

I don't mind Yang either.

I adore Emerald, and I think she might become my new favorite in the series. Hopefully they won't use the villians just as props? But i can sorta see it happening with Emerald and Mercury.

I don't think so, they usually flesh out the villains in RvB fairly well and most animes do, so Monty will probably flesh them out.

Nice to see the animation is improved, probably my favourite moment is when Sun and Neptune walk into the cafeteria.

Have any of y'all seen the latest episode, because I'd like to know your thoughts and stuff. ((because the outfits omg so cute))

I tried the first episode, but I couldn't stand the art. It didn't really draw me in, either. I don't think I'm going to watch more.

Edited by KoalaNoob

The art style is generic anime... just 3D and that was never a complaint I had.

If I had a complaint it would be the animation outside of combat and the random boob jiggle they added in volume 2 (seriously flat chested women shouldn't move like that! And apparently they toned it down)

But it grows on you, give it another chance koala!

Wow, so little posts. Let's change that!

Really do love this show, even with all its flaws (and there are quite a few; won't even go into them). Can't wait for volume three to come out!

Curious, what did you all think of the last few episodes of Vol.2? And what are your favorite characters?

I think you mean Velvet Leviathin biggrin.gif

I just thought Coco stole the whole scene. Listening to the commentary the others all agree monty is horrible for not revealing velvets weapon biggrin.gif

all and all i enjoyed volume 2.

not showing velvet's weapon was funny for about 10 seconds but really it makes no sense for her to not use it when the entire city is being attacked. at that point it was unnecessary imo.

also it was a weirdly written fourth wall break on coco's part because the dialogue implies velvet has never shown her weapon to them either? like unless coco is somehow aware of us never seeing velvet's weapon her telling velvet to not "waste" the buildup makes 0 sense

also the last battle would have been a good chance to finally show off the rest of SSSN but they just. didn't. i don't understand why you would put characters in the opening only to have them never appear. then again sun and neptune did literally nothing during the fight either so shrug.

also i wish the entire love triangle never happened and i am very tired of jaune getting the most development. also them not taking up the many many chances they had to even reference any non-straight pairings.

plus there's a really big ren x nora hint in the soundtrack and it's like............. ok thats nice but can we have some variety...............

also love that palette swapped hair on raven pfff

no but seriously i did like volume 2 overall. c': i think they're aware of the criticism from 2 so hopefully 3 will be better.

i'm not terribly attached to any of the characters yet. maybe in volume 3. if we get a canonically gay character i will probably latch onto them instantly.

Edited by Switch

come on s3, I wanna know who that lady was at the last ep of s2 was that was talking to yang....... ruby's mother or older sister, or maybe cousin or grandma.......... monty oom pls release more lore vids, I wanna know more about dust and the other stuff.

One major aspect of why Velvets weapon wasn't revealed is because Monty hasn't designed it yet biggrin.gif And I've seen some people assume that her weapon relies on time and takes a long time to charge up (and decimate everything), that seems to be what people assume Coco is referring to.

Apparently Sun and Neptune were gonna fight but they didn't have the time to include it, but disappointed the rest of team SSSN didn't show.

I think the love triangle should stop... but to be honest I think it has with that summation of the dancing episode. And this volume was meant to focus on Pyrrah for character development for team JNPR.

I don't get your problem with the Ren x Nora hints?

Woah spoilers there switch! But it's obvious it's Yangs mother, they wanted to show the resemblance and that would have been hard without using yangs hair cause that is her most notable feature.

And I didn't see much criticism for 2, most people thought it was an improvement on the first, sure there were some things that could have been added in but the majority was airtight.

And I don't think they're going to reveal that one of the characters is gay in the final volume, they're probably going to wait for the next series, after volume 3.

By the way, I saw that you still liked volume 2 but I've been defensive of rwby since the first trailer, so it's sort of a habit.

One major aspect of why Velvets weapon wasn't revealed is because Monty hasn't designed it yet :D And I've seen some people assume that her weapon relies on time and takes a long time to charge up (and decimate everything), that seems to be what people assume Coco is referring to.

Apparently Sun and Neptune were gonna fight but they didn't have the time to include it, but disappointed the rest of team SSSN didn't show.

I think the love triangle should stop... but to be honest I think it has with that summation of the dancing episode. And this volume was meant to focus on Pyrrah for character development for team JNPR.

I don't get your problem with the Ren x Nora hints?

Woah spoilers there switch! But it's obvious it's Yangs mother, they wanted to show the resemblance and that would have been hard without using yangs hair cause that is her most notable feature.

And I didn't see much criticism for 2, most people thought it was an improvement on the first, sure there were some things that could have been added in but the majority was airtight.

And I don't think they're going to reveal that one of the characters is gay in the final volume, they're probably going to wait for the next series, after volume 3.

By the way, I saw that you still liked volume 2 but I've been defensive of rwby since the first trailer, so it's sort of a habit.

i hadn't heard of that. i heard monty say it was his favorite weapon so i thought he had designed it. hmm.

the last episode did feel a bit rushed i suppose.

i dont have any problem with ren x nora on its own, i just wish we had some gay couples to balance out the five whole straight pairings officially hinted at so far. :I

i see no real reason to wait. it's not hard to establish a character as anything but straight. like seriously all it takes is a male character casually mentioning they think another guy is attractive or a girl character casually mentioning they like a girl, or someone mentioning they're not a girl or a boy, someone mentioning they're attracted to everyone regardless of gender, something like the many times neptune, jaune, and yang have established their attraction to girls and boys respectively.

they had so many opportunities to do it and they just haven't and it got a little tiring.

i hope they edit raven's hair in season 3. palette swapping hair and sticking it on another model to establish familial relation is just lazy imo so i hope they change it. you dont inherit hairstyle?? unless for some reason raven intentionally styles her hair exactly like yang but that would feel like a cop-out. i get the anime style makes giving them similar facial features difficult but rly. hair swap.

Edited by Switch

I think the most likely characters to be gay are Yang and Neptune. Yang may have hinted at her liking of men in episode 3 but from the reactions between her and Blake... and Neptunes whole thing is that he's trying to be cool an popular which could potentially mean that he is in the closet and struggling to cope.

Hmm what are the straight pairings...

Jaune x Pyrrah

Blake x Sun (Seems a little one sided)

Weiss x Neptune (also seems a little one sided)

Glynda x Ironwood??

Ren x Nora...

Torchwick x Ruby (Miles wants them to become besties! It has to be like Gurren lagann with viral)

Emerald x Mercury? (They seem more like siblings)

Now that I think about it Blake seems a little recluse like Neptune... and bumblebee is the most popular ship...

And seriously with that art style its really hard to show familial relationships, tell me how else they could have showed Yangs relation to Raven? And considering how awesome the model looks with the mask on, I think its justified with copying the appearance.

But you never know they could update it a bit to make her look older, but I'm fine with her hair simply being a pallet swap when you take how detailed her whole model is (including mask).

the officially implied/referenced ones i thought of are jaune x pyrrah, jaune x weiss (weiss wasnt into that tho), neptune x weiss, neptune x yang, and nora x ren

i'm pretty sure monty said homophobia/heteronormativity isn't a thing in Remnant so i dont think anyone would be closeted for fear of not being popular? shrug

i don't ship anyone in rwby myself. maybe someday.

hhmmm regarding raven and yang, similar hair texture, similar eye shape, normally i'd say slightly similar face shape but unless they made their face lineart exactly the same it'd be difficult to tell from the art style and i dont approve of sameface. i think the best way to have gone about it without cloning her hair would be similar hair texture (all wild and sticking up in places like yang but not styled exactly the same) and actually now that i look at it their eyes are quite similar besides raven's being more lidded. they might be the same but it's difficult to tell if it's meant to emulate familial traits because of the art style... looking at the different characters their eye shapes are all fairly distinct from each other so maybe.

idk in some shots raven's face looks almost exactly like yang's and in some it looks slightly more narrow and slightly less long. i'll probably have to wait for a 3d turnaround of her to come out.

but yeah i think similar hair texture and very similar eyes would do it (the latter of which they already seem to have)

sorry i like to study faces

if they don't change the palette swap ill live but i probably wont be able to take raven as seriously as i did when she had her mask on.

i love that mask.

i remember when she first showed up i thought she was going to be my new fav but we'll see.

considering they made tweaks to emerald and mercury's designs from 1 i have hope.

Edited by Switch

I haven't heard anything about Neptune x Yang, and I think Jaune x Weiss was never intended. The rest do seem implied, but that does leave plenty of characters to be gay... Ozpin seems like he could be gay to be honest, reminds me a bit of my great uncles boyfriend.

Once again I restate that they had time problems, for all we know they could have planned on having her look different (at least have her face a little lined) but didn't have the time.

And I am an expert at studying faces (I scare myself at how I can see similarities and difference in all faces I see)... I can remember those who spite me...

And I think the colour is fine to be honest, the palette is meant to be the same as Qrows.

But yeah that moment when she showed up and scared Neo was amazing.

And they didn't tweak emerald and mercury's designs, they didn't have the time to properly render them. If you look close you'll see that they're just flat images, not models yet.

You should have a look at the Future Rwby AU, its got a lot of shipping (White Rose, Bumblebee) but the artwork is great! You'd easily believe that its what team Rwby (and friends) would look like in a few years. I know Arryn said she liked it (note that some aspects of it are 18+)

yeah i know time was an issue, that's why i said i had hope they'd fix things in 3 since they tweaked emerald and mercury's models from 1. ouo/

Edited by Switch