Hypnotic

Lineage Preview

So, I've been considering this idea for a while. (Did a search, couldn't find it.)

What about a tool that allows you to preview what the baby of two dragons would look like? (Obviously not what breed it is, but maybe the generic '?' egg like in the cave drops.)

I'm actually someone concerned with linage, so I think this might be a useful tool.

It would also be useful in preventing inbreeding. Now while I think it might be interesting for this to pop up before you breed a dragon pair for the first time (maybe pop up after you click breed and before you get your egg, or maybe have this as a setting you can turn on and off. Or simply something you can click on in the actions page like, say, 'Preview Pairing'.)

Now you could say: why not just print screen twice and paste the two lineage pages together and see how they look but-- doesn't that seem like just too much of an annoyance?

And you could say: Can't you just guess? Well, I personally cannot. I tried pulling up the lineage tabs of the dragons and flipping back between them and I'm having issues -- only with longer lineages, mind you.

And you could say: This is a useless tool. You're entitled to your opinion. sad.gif

Edited by Hypnotic

I would love this! I have two pairs of pure seasonals, and I want to breed their offspring together. But I'm not sure is the linage will look any good.

I PERSONALY love this Idea!

Edit: Also good for this situation;

I have a dragon that I want to breed, I want to breed it to a specific breed of dragon. I have two (or more) potential mates. I use lifemates, so if the linage turns out looking messy, I dont like to take it back.

Check potentail linage of Dragon A with dragon B. Open new window and do the same with Dragon c. Compair and Choose!

Edited by Zephyr_Drake

There already is an inbred checker at Egg Drop Soup. Just click on Tools and it will tell you if two dragons will produce an inbred offspring.

About the preview, I personally think it really isn't necessary. It's not that hard for me to picture the male's lineage on top and the female's lineage slapped on the bottom, but maybe that's just me since I usually only breed CBs or very short lineaged dragons. Other people might find it useful though I suppose.

This could be useful for those dragons with longer lineages. I myself tend to not breed long lined dragons, but those concerned about it could probably use this. Probably having it under the Actions page as a Preview button would be the best, or having it as an optional feature to check on/off at will.

I could see it being useful for some, though I personally wouldn't use it.

Neutral so far.

This seems to be a good idea. I can see it as being useful. So I support this... I don't really do lineages, but this would be nice to have.

Edited by Corteo

This sounds like a neat idea. It is a bit useless, but for those who care about lineages, it would make things easier. While I don't necessarily care about inbreeding, I'm not a fan of big, messy lineages. Having a preview to see just how messy a lineage will look would be nice.

Really, this sounds like it's more for convenience than actually improving the game, but hey, I'm all for it if it's not too difficult to code.

I have had a hard time selecting mates for some of my longer (but clean) lineaged dragons because I cannot visualize what the lineage will look like. I think this could be very useful for something like that.

The inbred checker on Egg Drop Soup is very handy for preventing inbreeding, but does nothing to help visualize what the lineage might look like. The shape and appearance of lineages change when combined, so even doing two screen-caps and combining them would not really give you a good picture of the resulting lineage.

I support this idea if it would not be too difficult to implement.

I made one for Pets Galore Spa.

Go to http://www.petsgalorespa.net/dragon-cave-tools

In the middle of page you will see:

Lineage of Potential Children

Here you can enter a male and female dragon code and it will not only check to see if the pairing would produce an inbred child, but also show you the lineage of the potential child.

Then just enter the female dragon's code and the male dragon's code. Click on Check Lineage. It will show you the lineage of the child from that breeding, with the generic question egg from the cave for said child. It will also tell you at the top whether or not the breeding would produce an inbred child.

I was about to post that NDER already has something like this, but a couple of ninjas beat me to it. wink.gif

That said? I would LOVE for DC to have an official one. The background of NDER (olive green, like NDs themselves) is vastly different from the tan of the DC background, and that sometimes makes it difficult to judge whether I like a certain color combo or not. It certainly doesn't tell me how it'll look on the dragon's actual lineage page, with the different colored background and all. I would so so so love for DC to have an official lineage viewer like this! biggrin.gif

A while ago (before it was against the ToS) there was an add-on to the site made by the creator of Eggs around the World that allowed you to view any dragon's lineage before breeding. This would be just as useful.

I would like to see this. I think it would work best the way Olympe suggested in the thread about a breeding confirmation: when you choose the 'breed' action, on the page with suggested mates, there would be two links next to each possible mate instead of one: 'breed' (the one there is now) and 'lineage preview'. On the preview page there could be a link to immediately breed if you like the lineage.

That way do we get not only the handy preview tool, but can also be used as a breeding confirmation (did I choose the right mates?) by those who feel the need for one.

I personally wouldn't use this, so I'd definitely want an option to turn it off, but I think it's something that could benefit other people. smile.gif I just prefer using photoshop and copying and pasting, etc. It just gives me more freedom to play around with any breed or combination I want.

So yeah, I don't think I'd really use it, but it sounds like a good idea. smile.gif So long as it's optional.

I personally wouldn't use this, so I'd definitely want an option to turn it off, but I think it's something that could benefit other people. smile.gif I just prefer using photoshop and copying and pasting, etc. It just gives me more freedom to play around with any breed or combination I want.

So yeah, I don't think I'd really use it, but it sounds like a good idea. smile.gif So long as it's optional.

I think the idea of this is to go and purposefully use it (perhaps like a 'breed preview' option under 'breed'), so it is optional. :3