Ding

Coding a Hatchery

I interpreted the http://dragcave.net/api.txt file to say that you apply for access and then get the keys (= access)

(I don't own a site, I'm only guessing here)

edit: I didn't read this through. The application form seems to ask for a key from you. Try a URL-friendly password generator? It's not like you would use it for anything else than just some coding in the invisible part of a website ...

Edited by Ruby Eyes

I interpreted the http://dragcave.net/api.txt file to say that you apply for access and then get the keys (= access)

(I don't own a site, I'm only guessing here)

edit: I didn't read this through. The application form seems to ask for a key from you. Try a URL-friendly password generator? It's not like you would use it for anything else than just some coding in the invisible part of a website ...

Aye, before I actually tried filling out the form I thought I'd get the key(s) in an e-mail or in response to the form submission, too. laugh.gif

I'd just like to know if I've fundamentally misunderstood the access form before I submit generated passwords that are, well, just passwords. I can definitely generate myself nice passwords, after all, that's not the problem. smile.gif Just curious if that's honestly what I should be doing, or if I've misunderstood something.

(And thanks for your response!)

I don't know of any place that will assist you in making your own hatchery, but I'm guessing that you can learn from this:

http://www.jaemeia.net/er/geter.php

It gives you codes so you can add an ER to a page, although this can easily be used as just a regular hatchie if I'm not mistaken.

Hope that helps!

link is doesn't work anymore

Newbie question about the API access form:

Am I really supposed to supply an arbitrary private and public key myself? The methods I use to generate keys are not exactly URL friendly, not to mention I'm... not going to share a private key from a private/public key pair, as from my usual understanding of keys that should be entirely unnecessary as long as I supply a public one.

So... I'm guessing the terminology means something else? Is it really just two passwords? I struggle to interpret it as anything else at this point, but maybe someone who has a site with API access knows?

*feels like a right idiot*

Sorry for the bump, but... anyone have input about this? smile.gif I'm still not sure what to do about those fields.

Sorry for the bump, but... anyone have input about this? smile.gif I'm still not sure what to do about those fields.

You type in whatever you want in there, the private key would be what you would use to access the api.

You type in whatever you want in there,

That answers the question for me. smile.gif Odd, but good to know. Thank you very much for the answer!

@Soti-Dragon

I am looking for a header/footer ER code i can use on my site.... possible help, please?

What's a good free site for hosting a hatchery like these?

Also, I don't think the first link works..

Edited by SollyStartles

What's a good free site for hosting a hatchery like these?

Also, I don't think the first link works..

Thanks smile.gif

I'll remove that link.

edit: If there are any other links that members would like in the first post please let me know and I'll add them.

Edited by rubyshoes

I think I can find a hosting for html.

Does anyone mind making/sending me a basic layout that I can sort of edit for a hatchery site? I need HTML. I just need the coding for the egg list and adding eggs with your scroll and whatnot.

Thanks.

Does anyone know how long it typically takes for an API access request to be granted? Does TJ give any feedback if things are wrong or missing in the application form, or is a half year long silence meant to be an implicit indicator that I did something wrong?

And, something I should have asked before doing so: Is it okay to resubmit an API request after half a year? ninja.gif

I got API access roughly a week ago, by the way! \o/ *happy dance*

I'm currently a bit confused about the /massview tool, though I'm sure it's just a simple oversight on my part... bear with me, please!

One of the hatchlings on my site, 9OmOg, definitely exists, but if I query that amongst the codes in /massview, I get no results for it, and if I query only that code via /massview, I get the error [6, No dragons returned]. It's a hatchling (an imperial fleshcrowne, to be exact) that's still growing. My best guess is that the owner has their scroll hidden, but I've tried to reproduce this with my own scroll settings to no avail:

I can get data for a sample hatchling on my scroll when I turn my settings to:

- hide scroll on, display username on, accept aid on

- hide scroll on, display username off, accept aid on

- hide scroll on, display username on, accept aid off

- hide scroll on, display username off, accept aid off

Even more confusingly, I can do an API /view request to get information for the code. Currently, no other code on my site is doing this, and the code isn't anywhere in the list of codes that suggests it might be an artifact of my code (neither at the start or the end, it's roughly middlish to the list) and I can't immediately think of a different reason why it wouldn't work (it's definitely not the only code in the hatchery starting with numbers, for example). Finally got around to checking this phenomenon with a REST browser extension to rule out script magic muddying the water - it's indeed the request itself that's doing it.

Does anyone know what that might mean? Any other suggestions? I don't want to prune legitimate entries from my database.

[ Edit: I still haven't figured out what caused this, so for the time being I've changed my script to notify me of "non-existent" codes rather than removing them. I would still really appreciate input, if anyone has any. user posted image ] See bbik's answer below. Thanks, bbik!

Edited by pinkgothic

One of the hatchlings on my site, 9OmOg, definitely exists, but if I query that amongst the codes in /massview, I get no results for it, and if I query only that code via /massview, I get the error [6, No dragons returned]. ... Even more confusingly, I can do an API /view request to get information for the code.

Probably, when you checked, it was in the AP. There's a bug in massview that doesn't return data for ownerless dragons. That same code is working now, and the hatchling definitely has an owner, so given its time and the times in the AP, it seems plausible that it didn't have one previously.

Probably, when you checked, it was in the AP.  There's a bug in massview that doesn't return data for ownerless dragons.  That same code is working now, and the hatchling definitely has an owner, so given its time and the times in the AP, it seems plausible that it didn't have one previously.

Thanks very much, bbik! user posted image I actually just came here to theorise that, since it just happened again on an egg ((wBYyG) to be precise), so I ended up thinking about what else is reasonably frequent and shows no scroll name.

In that case it should be safe to remove and I'll do that.

Much appreciated!

Edited by pinkgothic

Sorry to bring this back up, but on reflection, I don't think the AP theory makes a lot of sense, and I'm kicking myself for not realising this when I had the theory. If I'm not mistaken, hatchlings show up in the AP regardless of time left, since they're prioritised more highly, and people pick them up really quickly... right?

So two queries of the API for the code with a few seconds between the queries should give some information on the second query, at least.

However, my script just stripped (4gASX) from the site because /massview doesn't return information about it, and that, too, is a hatchling, and asking the API about it a few times doesn't alleviate matters. I'm confused. ohmy.gif

Apparently, this happens really rarely, but I'd love to have a chance of reproducing this.

(I tested with a code 'stuck' in a trade link, just as another theory; that doesn't seem to be it, either.)

Edit: At time of edit, (4gASX) is still exhibiting this behaviour.

See next page for resolution, but, tl;dr: I don't actually know how the AP works. Mystery solved. xd.png

Edited by pinkgothic

You're not alone. I've gotten lots of codes that don't work with massview. I resorted to checking each non-cooperative code with an individual view request, but that can be anywhere up to 20 or so extra requests on the API every time my updater runs. Not a very nice bug.

In fact I just ran the updater and got 19 codes that didn't work with massview (out of 750). 12 of these were hatchies.

In fact, here are the codes I just got. Maybe having some more data to work with will help. I probably don't have time to help solve this mystery... I'm taking exams in a week. But good luck, it would be great if you do figure something out! =D

tRQpA 
l5hrK 
Dy5eL 
ArKGy 
zOpBj 
xv22f 
gFRid 
Ua5jw 
SQG90 
y7wU3 
BJXes 
OIbOk 
TGwxS 
rvPVt 
WpMVq 
uSGSB 
NC6g5 
WqAdK 
hSM9H 

If I'm not mistaken, hatchlings show up in the AP regardless of time left, since they're prioritised more highly, and people pick them up really quickly... right?

That wasn't my impression :/ I've seen a lot of hatchies in the AP (though you're right they get picked up super fast) and never with longer to go than the eggs. I don't see why hatchies would be prioritised.

The codes MaidMarian posted don't all seem to be things that should be in the AP but a lot were non-alt altables with longer to go than the AP is currently at and one of the ones I checked was a hatchie released yesterday by an Evil Project member and should definitely still be in the AP backlog.

edit: and I think all of the ones I checked could have been in the AP at the time of MM's post given incubation and the time between her post and me checking.

Edited by ObsessedWithCats

That wasn't my impression :/ I've seen a lot of hatchies in the AP (though you're right they get picked up super fast) and never with longer to go than the eggs. I don't see why hatchies would be prioritised.

The codes MaidMarian posted don't all seem to be things that should be in the AP but a lot were non-alt altables with longer to go than the AP is currently at and one of the ones I checked was a hatchie released yesterday by an Evil Project  member and should definitely still be in the AP backlog.

edit: and I think all of the ones I checked could have been in the AP at the time of MM's post given incubation and the time between her post and me checking.

Huhn. Learn something new every day. I could have sworn hatchlings are prioritised and even a 7d hatchling pops up near the top of the AP pile. I don't AP hunt much, though, so that'll be the source of my misconception.

Checking some codes from the AP, the AP definitely does exhibit this API behaviour, that much is clear. So if hatchlings don't actually behave as I thought they did, then the AP theory does cover them, and my fretting is soothed again.

@MaidMarian: Thanks for your input! I've considered doing much the same thing (/view check for every code not returned by /massview). Good to know that's working for you.

Since as per ObsessedWithCats I seem to be totally wrong about hatchlings in the AP, I'm guessing some INNER JOIN is indeed pruning ownerless dragons from the result (dragonCodes INNER JOIN scrolls USING (scrollId) would eliminate all codes that have no corresponding entry in scrolls, for example; though that's not precisely what's happening, since eggs in the AP still report their former owner view the /view API, curiously enough).

Edited by pinkgothic

You may have had holiday hatchlings pop to the front with 7d left.

My question is, why should there be APed eggs and hatchlings in any hatchery at all? Just so that they can hatch and, at worst, grow up and run off into the wilderness without anyone being able to snatch it up? If you can safely identify APed things this way, I would suggest to actually remove them from your hatcheries.

since eggs in the AP still report their former owner view the /view API, curiously enough
Now *that*s funny. That could be a way to check if an egg has been picked up and dropped in the meantime. I imagine an input form with scrollname and APed egg's code, and if they don't match, the egg has been picked up by someone in the meantime already biggrin.gif Edited by Ruby Eyes

You may have had holiday hatchlings pop to the front with 7d left.

My question is, why should there be APed eggs and hatchlings in any hatchery at all? Just so that they can hatch and, at worst, grow up and run off into the wilderness without anyone being able to snatch it up? If you can safely identify APed things this way, I would suggest to actually remove them from your hatcheries.

I'd agree, but the problem is that we don't know for sure they're AP'ed. They're just mysteriously missing. My script continues to remove them, given ObsessedWithCats's input, since I have pretty much your stance on AP'ed critters and that seems like the solid theory at this point.

(Re: holiday hatchlings, I don't think I've ever even seen a holiday hatchling in the AP, unless the AP itself was also a wall of holidays. :c Chances are I just didn't pay attention to the "time left" the few times I did see a hatchling whiz by.)

Edit:

Now *that*s funny. That could be a way to check if an egg has been picked up and dropped in the meantime. I imagine an input form with scrollname and APed egg's code, and if they don't match, the egg has been picked up by someone in the meantime already biggrin.gif

Ooh, nice idea biggrin.gif

Edit II:

Sidenote, I think I understand where my confusion ultimately came from (aside from my lack of AP hunting experience, obviously). There's an old feature request asking for hatchlings to be prioritised in the AP backlog. That probably got misfiled as 'actually implemented' somewhere in my dodgy memory. (The fact the feature request exists is an additional solid case that I was just really confused, in case anyone else was still wondering about it. biggrin.gif)

Edited by pinkgothic

*bahmp*

So, I have a bit of an idea of something I'd like to slap into Daily Dragon Fix as a tool, but I'm actually struggling with the user interface part of it, because I find myself uncertain how even I would like to interact with this tool. I wanted to ask all you lovely people if there's anyone here that feels like they've got a good idea of UI design and would like to help a lady out in PM.

Basically, I am a programmer in search of a stakeholder. laugh.gif

(This is not a super secret project, the reason I'm not going into detail is purely because I don't want to get people's hopes up that I'll make it any time soon.)

*bahmp*

So, I have a bit of an idea of something I'd like to slap into Daily Dragon Fix as a tool, but I'm actually struggling with the user interface part of it, because I find myself uncertain how even I would like to interact with this tool. I wanted to ask all you lovely people if there's anyone here that feels like they've got a good idea of UI design and would like to help a lady out in PM.

Basically, I am a programmer in search of a stakeholder. laugh.gif

(This is not a super secret project, the reason I'm not going into detail is purely because I don't want to get people's hopes up that I'll make it any time soon.)

Aaand angelicdragonpuppy had the same idea and turned it into spreadsheets, so I guess there's no point in keeping it secret to avoid failed expectations - there is a solution out there now. happy.gif

Basically, what I've been hoping to create for a month or so is a checker database that requires no manual maintenance, is easy to maintain, gives you a few options to note down as to how people can best contact you, keeps track of how old the records are (and thus how likely it is someone looking for the checker is going to be able to contact you), and so on. I'd like to have support for pseudocheckers where the CBs are different in the one or other way, for "contains shimmerscales", "contains spriters alts", "is a Thuwed", maybe some other things...

My UI ideas for it end up in a conflict around "I'd like to have it be super simple to interact with (just take a few clicks / keystrokes; maybe allow batch-adding in an easy to provide format!)" and "CUSTOMISE ALL THE THINGS", and generally that's sort of crippled the project before it's even gotten properly off the ground. I have an awful habit of starting my website design by drafting out a database model, so I have one of those and some tables I could work with, but that's obviously the entirely wrong approach.

(I've asked angelicdragonpuppy if she wants to be my stakeholder, heh. biggrin.gif But I'm still happy to get various ideas tossed my way. Maybe it could eventually end up extended to stairs and spirals for people looking to make arrow or fork lineages.)

Edited by pinkgothic

Wouldn't automatic adding require your tool to recognize breeds? blink.gif

Wouldn't automatic adding require your tool to recognize breeds? blink.gif

Ah, we're picturing very different things in regards to what 'automatic' means. smile.gif I just mean you can add your data without that someone has to approve it.

There would be no verification that it really is a checker, which is along the lines of what you're picturing, because the API doesn't support that, short of this code exists. There also won't be a way to go through one's entire scroll to figure out which lineages are checkers, for the same reason (though hypothetically I could pre-filter a person's dragons if they're evengen and hope most of those are checkers... hmmm... that could actually lead to a UI idea xd.png).

Edited by pinkgothic

Well, using the API, one would at least be able to find lineage shapes like even-gen, stair, spiral. But scanning a whole scroll + every dragon's ancestors probably leads to quite some server strain.

What I'd like to do is an interface where I enter up to 3 codes: male, female, sample offspring, and select a breed for male and female (possibly from a drop-down box to avoid the infinituplety of spellings for each breed). Then the tool would display number of generations and each dragon's name, and lineage notes like "perfect checker", "alternating checker", "faux checker with silver Shimmer", "inbred checker" or even "would be a checker but refused 2016-02-02, need new mate". Basically, I've build something like that just last week as a spreadsheet which I would happily share if only google drive would work on this computer ... I'll get the link tomorrow at work if you're interested xd.png