Phalo

Our Guide to Basic Spriting

MS Paint can't make transparencies, however most good art programs can.

(Photoshop, flash, etc) (Though flash wouldn't be used for pixel art, and it's expensive if you don't have it.)

Edited by shikaru

Any good freeware programs that you can use to shrink images? I'm looking for one... I've got my own tutorial, but I need a program that will let people shrink images they've sketched or something down to sprite-size. >.=.<

>.> My comp sci prof recommends The GIMP or Paint.NET for all your graphics needs if you don't want/have Photoshop.

So, for spriting, my friend has Gimp. She says it's great, but she doesn't spirte. So, is that graphics gale really recomendable? I've never sprited before, and, well, I've only recolored and on regular paint.

Also, that Graphics Gale program, /does/ it let you save in other things other than gif?

Graphics gale lets you save in many different file formats. These include .ani, .cur, .gif, .png, .bmp, .jpeg, .tga, and .avi among a few others.

MSPAINT IS THE BEST PROGRAM TO USE WHEN SPRITING.

It seriously is. For the longest time I've been on the forum of one of the biggest Sprite databases on the internet. If I'm not mistaken for about 3 years maybe more. I'm a moderator there meaning I do have some idea on what I am doing when spriting.

Most noobs complain about MSPaint when their sprites turn to crud but if you look up the work of Dazz, Medri Fogmatio, Cleardeth (A.K.A TFGD), SmithyGCN, Badassbill, or any other really good spriter I can assure you that for their sprites they use MSPaint. (I only know the first 3 that I listed Personally. The other two I just respect and admire their works)

Also at the forums we give out really good Constructive Criticism. If you want to join for that then PM me and I'll be happy to let you know what it is.

Edited by Lunyka

There is a 10X zoom in paint if you feel like you need it. Click a few pixels below 8X zoom.

Fast cleaning of grey sketch lines after scanning:

Go to image -> attributes -> black and white. Then printscreen move to another document and clean up.

I would do this, but something's up with my scanner. It scans the image and makes it like 200 times its original size. Resizing it is impossible, you can't even tell what the original image was.

I don't think you can with paint, however Graphics Gale allows you to! ...

..... The free version does not allow you to save .gif files however.....

Just try to press STAMP button, then paste in any image editing program, cut the image from the screenshot and save as .gif (sorry for my english) tongue.gif I this trick should work tongue.gif

Edited by avalongirl

FOUND IT!!!

This is what I used to learn basic pixel art for spriting ^-^

http://www.natomic.com/hosted/marks/mpat/

Pinkdragon suggested this site to me.....before she quit

Thanks so much for posting this. I use PaintShop Pro, and love it, but this seems like a nice simple program that I can easily use also!

I am going to start working on some of these little guys!! yea!

This is such a helpful post! Thanks to everyone that has offered help and advice here, I think I might be ready to try my hand at spriting!

This might sound really dumb, but what is spriting and what is it for?

err... how can I explain this.. But Spriting is a form of artwork that is used in games like Mario, Sonic (Earlier ones that are on the Sega Gen) and the ever so popular Megaman.

I'm not sure if this is something most people do, but I find it useful.

If you have an area and you want to recolor it, you can select the color that the area CURRENTLY IS with the eye dropper tool and set the backrground color the COLOR YOU'D LIKE IT TO BE and RIGHT CLICK ERASE over the top of the area.

It replaces the old color with the new one.

I'm sorry if this has been posted already, I just thought I'd throw my two cents in.

GIMP is very free. I just downloaded it today. It's a bit confusing compared to MSPaint, though.