Fawkesian

ANSWERED:Permission To Cross-Stitch?

Go to solution Solved by Fuzzbucket,

Hi, just wondering - is is okay to use dragon sprites as the basis for a cross-stitch pattern? This would be for personal use; I'm interested in putting my favorite dragons on a jacket. Not sure if there's a global yes/no answer for this sort of thing, or whether permissions are granted per dragon by the artist/s.

Permissions are granted per dragon! There's a thread somewhere in the suggestions page that has all artist permissions listed!

1 hour ago, 04uni said:

There's a thread somewhere in the suggestions page that has all artist permissions listed!

Link here :) 

Thank you both! I remembered having seen a thread like that somewhere, but couldn't find it earlier.

The Derivative fan art category has been removed: You are free to create non-commercial derivative fan art(drawings of, plushies, etc.) for dragons that are in-cave. Spriter's Alts are an exception - you should still ask or check the 'Special' category. Some artists may also ask to keep fan art PG-13 or have other requests in the 'Special' category. " 

Am I correct in believing that this statement applies to cross-stitch, and therefore blanket permission is granted for all in-cave dragons? Or would it not count as derivative fan art, since I wouldn't be dramatically changing the sprites, only adapting them to the medium and recreating them?

That counts as derivative fanart, since you're making art derived from their designs.

That said I mean, as long as it's for personal use and you didn't post it anywhere it's not like they can actually stop you from doing whatever you want (like, how would they know if you did a cross-stitch for personal use you never posted online or sold or something?).  It's more of a courtesy thing.

Posted Solution

It specifically says 

You are free to create non-commercial derivative fan art(drawings of, plushies, etc.) for dragons that are in-cave. 

So if you are making a jacket for your own wardrobe, I can't see a problem.

I thought so, but wanted to be sure - and figured it was best to be polite and check in regardless. Thank you again! I'll mark this as answered.