Vic

DragCave-Approved Pixel Art Tut?

I'd like to try to make an egg for the Easter egg hunt but I'm not sure how.  I try looking up various tutorials online but there are so many different styles I can't figure out which is best.  I mostly use FireAlpaca with a tablet.

Is this thread any help ?

This post, specifically:

There really isn't "DragCave-Approved" tutorials, they are more recommendations than official word really. So if you do find tutorial that lets you understand the fundamentals of spriting, you're all good to go basically. The Ultimate Dragon Request Guide, which Fuzzbucket linked has some good material in it as well (though few links don't work atm, due to inactive DA accounts).

You should also refer to previous year's submission guidelines.

The most common things that has caused rejections (from top of my head that I've heard of):

- Contrast of the shading. Make sure that the shading doesn't blend too much with itself.

- The sprite is blurry, often caused either by using brush that has anti-aliasing (highly recommending to use only Pencil Tool), or having saved the picture at wrong format at any point of process (PNG lets you keep things crisp and clear)

- Color count is too high (can especially be problem with animation, when it inconsistently jumps to over 100)

- The shape of the egg isn't as easily seen as it should, egg needs to be seen there.

This is a fairly short/simple guide, but it can be a very helpful starting point for FoE submissions!

@Fuzzbucket 

@Diggie

@Moonlightelf

Thanks, guys.  I'll give them a try.  I'm still having trouble getting everything to look right since I'm not sure how to draw like this with a stylus.  I'll leave this thread open for awhile in case I have extra questions.