LadyVictorian

Reptile & Amphibian Keepers

I looked back quite a ways and couldn't find a discussion just for us. I saw cats and dogs but I don't really keep those animals to discuss them. So here is a quiet corner of the forum for those of us that love our animals with scales.  A place to talk about our pets, which ones we would love to get, which is our favorite species to keep and why, and of course pictures of your collection. 

I'll start with just a little list of what I keep. 

Amphibians:

African bullfrog 

Snakes:

Spotted python

Palmetto corn snake

Chelonians:

Redfoot tortoise

Sulcata tortoise

Lizards:

Argentine tegu (Red and blue hybrid)

Bearded dragon

Leopard gecko

Crested gecko

Classic Indonesian blue tongue skink

Ackie Monitor lizard

Leachianus gecko

244358481_4974802312537179_1543728959491151373_n.jpg

I don't have them any more but when I was married to my son's father we had:

Snow Corn snake named Whisper

Sinaloan Milk snake named Missy

Male Brazilian Rainbow Boa named Osiris

Female Brazilian Rainbow Boa named Isis

Hypo Jungle Colombian Red-tailed Boa named Gypsy

The Brazilian Rainbow Boas we were hoping to breed once the male was old enough. He was a hatchling and my husband couldn't handle him without getting tagged.....LOL. He even got nailed right between the eyes a couple times. Osiris was definitely mine and he would just wrap around my wrist while I was doing my homework. Isis the female was around 4 years old and 6 feet long. She was a sweetheart. The Brazilian Rainbow Boas are gorgeous snakes. Whisper the corn snake was how I got over my fear. Well, sort of. I got over my fear because my husband at the time had our 14 month old son behind me and we were at a pet store and I had shelving to either side of me and he motioned the guy with a huge albino Burmese Python named Popcorn to come our direction and I had absolutely NOWHERE to go. So that was how I got over my fear of snakes and getting Whisper. Missy the Milk snake was awesome too. I miss having them. When we had the snakes we didn't have insects in the house. I would love to have a Bearded Dragon and Crested Gecko. I am my Dad's live-in caregiver and he's very anti-pet despite us having 15 acres or so. I am eventuallygoing to get 3 or 4 rats. They are like pocket puppies.

Palmetto corn snakes are gorgeous. How are the Bearded Dragons and Crested Geckos care wise? My ex-boyfriend had his brothers Bearded Dragon for a while. Very interesting critter. Reptiles I have found can be easier to care for in some ways. I have had a lot of different kinds of animals in my life.

Bearded dragons are a lot more work than people realize. Babies go through a lot of bugs and of course they need greens daily as well. Adults are a bit easier to feed as they only need bugs about twice a week rather than daily like the babies. However adult bearded dragons need a min of 4ftx2ftx2ft enclosures which not everyone has space for. They also need a pretty high temp at their basking spot and UVB lights to grow healthy and happy. People think they are super chill and lazy because they are normally very cold but they are super active and enjoy climbing. In fact I have a BUNCH of branches in with my female. She only comes down to hunt and drink water.

Crested geckos are far easier. They like cooler temps so about 68-75 is perfect for them which is most people's homes normal temps. They can also be feed a crested gecko diet along with live feeder insects. Some won't eat bugs at all and just eat the powdered crested gecko diet which you add water to and make it like a fruit paste. They require a min of 12inx12xinx18in though I prefer the 18x18x24. They are arboreal so they like the height and well decorated setups with lots of places to hide. They also like high humidity so spraying them once in the morning and once and night. 

I think both can be very personable animals, my bearded dragon and crested are both jerks though.  Personally if they will bite I'll take the crested bite of a a dragon any day though. 

Oh wow, y'all have so many amazing creatures! I shouldn't be surprised, on this particular forum. Although I am surprised by how short this thread is. There's gotta be more reptile keeper on a forum for dragon collectors, right?

Anyway, I only have one beastie but he's been with me for almost 10 years now. Here's my favourite wyrm, Jordi ^^ (He's a corn wyrm)

fav_noodle.jpg

We do have the Rats/Ferrets/Snakes/Exotics pet thread, which is where previous discussion about reptile & amphibian pets has been held. 

I don’t mind a specific thread for just these guys, though. 

Personally I have my 27 year old Rosy Boa named Betty White (And Brown). I did have a blue eyed leucistic Texas rat snake but he recently passed away from an unknown illness 😭

Edited by hazeh

On 12/15/2023 at 6:22 PM, hazeh said:

We do have the Rats/Ferrets/Snakes/Exotics pet thread, which is where previous discussion about reptile & amphibian pets has been held. 

I don’t mind a specific thread for just these guys, though. 

Personally I have my 27 year old Rosy Boa named Betty White (And Brown). I did have a blue eyed leucistic Texas rat snake but he recently passed away from an unknown illness 😭

Ah, I'm sorry to hear that :( it's always hard to lose a pet. At least Betty White is still there, and 27 years old too! That's amazing!

Ooh! I own two Corn snakes! 

One is named Eclipse, and the other Kernel! 

One is Amelenistic (or, Amel) or Albino, idk

Eclipse is not the Amel-bino, Kernel is! 

Eclipse is very bitey, but Kernel is chill, and older than Eclipse by like, what, 10 years? But I love them both.