5icky

Small UI suggestions for quality of life

I've been on DC for a long time. I love all of the new things that have been added over time!

I have a couple UI suggestions for scrolls that could help with quality of life and may not be too difficult to code in!

1. After an action is done, reroute to dragon page/scroll instead of a confirmation page

Current

Example:

Click dragon -> Click "action"

-> "Abandon" takes you to the abandon page

->  you input password

-> routes to "you have abandoned this dragon" page with the option "return to scroll".

Suggestion fix:

-Instead of the abandoned page that gives you a return option, have a banner notification at the top of the scroll similar to the "You are currently hiding your scroll" banner notification.

-If you named the dragon, it then reroutes to the dragon's page with a pop up that says the standard "you write the dragon's name in your scroll" message as a banner notification at the top of the screen.

2. "Next dragon" button / arrow or "jump to" on  dragon view page

Current:

-> You open a dragon's view page to complete action/check lineage etc.

-> complete action such as naming

-> confirmation page

-> return to scroll

-> go to next dragon

Why: This makes it take a lot longer to complete, clicking around the page to get around, and making repeated actions like Naming on multiple dragons in succession difficult.

Suggestion:

- Implement a "next dragon" button or arrow that will take you to the next dragon listed. Button is inactive/grey if you're at the first/last dragon on the respective side.

- jumps to next dragon listed on scroll

- located mid-height on the page, a <- on one side and -> on the other.

- works in Groups 

- Allows easier movement around your scroll

- reduces total time spent loading page instances just for "you have abandoned this egg" or similar messages.

3. Breed To Page; Drop-down for: Groups, etc.

I know there's a million breeding UI suggestions. I think this may help solve MOST of them:

-Add a drop down on the "breed to" page that allows you to see only dragons in that group who are available to breed. 

drop down options:

[SHOW:        ]

v[All Dragons]

v[Same breed]

v[Group:]

vv["CB"]

vv["checkers"]

and so on.

Thank you for listening and I hope I can help!

5 hours ago, IcarusTheDragon said:

Naming on multiple dragons in succession difficult.

Support in general, but this in particular. I don't have to go on naming sprees very often because I try to name things as I go and keep track of what I've done with each dragon that way, but it does happen - especially during holidays! And I typically just open a new tab for each dragon rather than navigate back and forth in my actual scroll, which isn't easy or simple on mobile and still feels pretty clunky overall. Being able to return back to the dragon page and just hit next would be amazing, and for lots of other things rather than just mass naming!

I really like suggestions 2 and 3! Like StarlightLion says, suggestion 2 would be especially welcome on mobile, where opening multiple tabs is a hassle. I also agree with OP that suggestion 3 would fix many of the UI problems with breeding right now. Would love to see these implemented!

I'm not so fond of suggestion 1, however. After an action has been taken, the confirmation page often serves as a sort of 'climax' to the choice you just made, with important flavor text that adds context and depth to the game. While I understand that things like abandoning and naming don't seem all that exciting after a while, there are lots of actions that have more dramatic outcomes, like revive, freeze and many BSA's. Giving the 'result' of an action its own page - with nothing else to distract and the flavor text front and center - helps to sell the importance of the action. It delivers potentially vital information and allows the player a moment to sit with this information, before they move on to the next task. I think it's important for the pacing and feel of the game that confirmation pages remain as they are.

While reducing the number of clicks required to navigate the site is a good thing, I think this is one of the few instances where forcing the player to slow down and reconsider the current state of things before moving on is ultimately greatly to the game's benefit.

Edited by seventeendeer

5 hours ago, seventeendeer said:

hile reducing the number of clicks required to navigate the site is a good thing, I think this is one of the few instances where forcing the player to slow down and reconsider the current state of things before moving on is ultimately greatly to the game's benefit.

This. There are loads of suggestions that say "If only there had been a WARNING"....

On 3/19/2023 at 6:17 AM, Fuzzbucket said:

This. There are loads of suggestions that say "If only there had been a WARNING"....

There's definitely warnings and I'd love to keep it that way! You have the "Input password" option which stops you, as well as the confirmation popup when you go to abandon. 

My suggestion is more so an alternative, some sort of "pop up" on the screen, be it a banner pop up or an actual pop up on the screen that states "you have abandoned this egg" and perhaps it has a clickable image of the egg/hatchling's "lineage" (Not view page) so that you can still see which dragon you abandoned after the fact. This banner message or popup could be in italics and bolded or in red so that you still gain the impact of what action was taken.

Of course, I'm not as dead set on this suggestion, I just figured it was more of a quality of life feature. Ways to reduce overall page re-routes which would arguably beneficially impact the site's overall bandwidth(terminology correct? I dunno), especially during releases!

However, my primary focus with this post is the "jump to" buttons, this wouldn't negatively impact the site at all and definitely would reduce overall time spent using the back button or having to go back to your scroll to search for a dragon.

Suggestion: the "Dragons" page should show the generation numbers of the dragons. I think it is more important than the views or clicks numbers!

This new idea isn't part of this suggestion and would be better in a new thread of its own so that someone will see it... Though if this gets split off - it is possible to filter by generation when using fertility - could we have that added to other filters ?

Edited by Fuzzbucket

@Yahya sorry I missed your reply! 

I strongly agree. This would be great if it also showed on the breed page 👀 but I can only wish. There's enough issues with the breed page, haha!

Filtering by generation would be excellent too!