Cireth

ANSWERED:What's going on with Cave?

I've been away for a few years.

In that time something seems to have gone seriously wrong with the cave.

I haven't seen any rares since I've been back and some common eggs are really hard to catch too.

I ended up buying a Royal Crimson from the Market today because I didn't want to sit in the Volcano for a couple of hours hunting for one.

What's causing this? And what will fix it?

The issue, IMO, is rooted in the ratio system, and too many new breeds that said system isn't keeping up with. 

The ratio system is extremely outdated, it was probably nifty when there were 10 breeds and 40 players, but now it's just annoying and does more harm that good, it basically punishes players for liking things by taking them away while pushing the breeds no one wants. It's been the root cause of almost every issue with cave hunting that anyone's had in the last 5 years but it simply refuses to just die and be replaced with something more reasonable. And adding more breeds is a necessity to keep things interesting but everyone refuses to make rare breed concepts, you can hardly blame them though because the site seemingly all but refuses to add any new rares anyway, so the only rarities anyone bothers to use for their breed requests are common and uncommon, lest their breed be condemned to being a waste of an artist and writer's time by a rarity-based reject. And with every new common added, the other breeds, especially the rares, get that much rarer and hunting gets that much more frustrating.

So there's like 7 rare breeds out of 200+ common ones, any rares that are added are in high demand, which has the chain reaction of making them even rarer than the demand would due to the ratios basically fighting the userbase, and then the commons that are already less wanted get pushed even harder. The end result is that the only common eggs with a reasonable turnout are the uncommon breeds that people took a minor, but not major liking to, and the only rares with a reasonable rarity are uncommons that everyone took a major liking to.

Edited by blockEdragon

Pretty much everything that blockEdragon said. I went AFK for five or so years, but prior to that, Black Dragons used to be incredibly rare for no reason. Highly valued. Among other things.

In my entire time on this game(about 10 years, maybe more), I have seen two golds in the caves. Two. But I was AFK for a while. I mostly look for codes instead of rares. I can typically trade for a rare but it's extremely uncommon.

And then I see people selling multiple CB golds/silvers and asking for a Neglected. I'll never understand how they manage to achieve that.

Yeah. I've no idea how people end up with a boatlaod of rares to trade either.

I have given up all hopeof getting a CB Stat any time soon and gone back to my usual breeding projects. Which means a lot of sitting in the Volcano watching for CB Crimsons at the moment.