Impulsive_Egg

The Unofficial Hot Take Thread

Too much cheese on pizza is bad, actually! If you have to advertise ‘two pounds of cheese’ on your pizzas, I’m just gonna assume your sauce is mediocre and the crust is probably not great.  Also no matter how you bite it, thick sheets of cheese pull off and get pizza sauce on your chin : (

I like the way the Italians do it with pizza margherita instead! If there isn’t too much cheese the sauce really pops compared to a lot of American pizzas

Completely unrelated but strawberries are overrated and broccoli is underrated. Except broccoli with cheese. That's gross, honestly. I genuinely can't stand the smell of strawberries. They're just...gross.

Here's mine, might be a bit of a brain twister:

Our current (aka modern) conception of the "self" and the self's relationship with its surroundings is completely misguided. The separation of the ego is actually fairly new as far as human civilisation goes - most other "great civilisations" (such as Ancient Egypt and Ancient Greece) had a completely different conception of the self - it was less ego-centered and more along the lines of "we are all distillations of higher realms/principles, and are therefore interconnected with the fabric of absolutely everything in existence". This new conception of the self has actually led to misunderstanding human nature completely, and has created a lot of new problems we wouldn't otherwise have - a good example being the modern neurosis that can be attributed to the mind's extreme self-isolation and lack of meaningful understanding of its surroundings, along with the other various problems that in and of itself creates.

tl;dr: The modern conception of the self is mostly erroneous and can actually prove detrimental to the average person, let alone people that try to untangle what the hell is going on! Western thought and therefore the entire Western world especially have been degraded by this.

Pardon the dragoncave philosophyposting, it's just very interesting to me....

On 9/20/2023 at 4:10 PM, xingguang_ said:

Completely unrelated but strawberries are overrated and broccoli is underrated. Except broccoli with cheese. That's gross, honestly. I genuinely can't stand the smell of strawberries. They're just...gross.

I see your broccoli and raise you Brussel Sprouts.

(without cheese)

On 4/14/2023 at 11:42 AM, St0rmbringer said:

Too much cheese on pizza is bad, actually! If you have to advertise ‘two pounds of cheese’ on your pizzas, I’m just gonna assume your sauce is mediocre and the crust is probably not great.  Also no matter how you bite it, thick sheets of cheese pull off and get pizza sauce on your chin : (

I like the way the Italians do it with pizza margherita instead! If there isn’t too much cheese the sauce really pops compared to a lot of American pizzas

Totally agree! The most flavor from pizza comes from the sauce and the bread texture is what really makes it special. I will say, though, that properly presented cheese can be a real treat.

Interesting how many of these are about pizza 🍕 let’s keep it going: I eat pineapple on pizza and I love it and I don’t care who says it’s disgusting.

(also crying laughing over the golf cart one)

JRR Tolkien wrote a far more realistic fantasy world than George Martin ever did.

Also: Pizza with tuna is da best pizza out there. There is no contest. None, nada, zilch.

8 hours ago, Aldarion said:

JRR Tolkien wrote a far more realistic fantasy world than George Martin ever did.

Also: Pizza with tuna is da best pizza out there. There is no contest. None, nada, zilch.

George RR Martin is a tolkien wannabe and i hate him irrationally

Tolkien is one of the worst writers of his generation. The only thing he's good at is world building. Everything else? Horrendous.

It's a plague that has infected the fantasy genre to this day. The only good (popular) fantasy author is Ursula K Le Guin.

It's also really telling that when you point out issues with modern fantasy authors' prose, they think Tolkien is what you're talking about as an example of good prose. No. Oh my God no.

I have a lot of respect for his attention to detail and worldbuilding, and I like lotr, but you will never see me defend Tolkien's writing style or character development. 

Edited by Skadi

1 hour ago, Skadi said:

Tolkien is one of the worst writers of his generation. The only thing he's good at is world building. Everything else? Horrendous.

It's a plague that has infected the fantasy genre to this day. The only good (popular) fantasy author is Ursula K Le Guin.

It's also really telling that when you point out issues with modern fantasy authors' prose, they think Tolkien is what you're talking about as an example of good prose. No. Oh my God no.

I have a lot of respect for his attention to detail and worldbuilding, and I like lotr, but you will never see me defend Tolkien's writing style or character development. 

Yeah - I always took Ernest Hemingway as an example of good prose.

I STILL haven't read Lord of the Rings in English.

But the fact that Tolkien is so popular truly shows the power of good worldbuilding. Fantasy is escapism, first and foremost - so the most important part is well-designed world.

All of these hot takes have me cracking up. 

One to add to the books : The end of the toilet paper roll should be hanging OVER THE TOP ALWAYS. Not coming out from underneath.

Thank you for coming to my ted talk 😉

Apples and raisins belong in cheese and beef tacos. The sea is soup.