TJ09

Feature Preview: Notification Settings

Ever since notifications were added to Dragon Cave nearly five years ago, the goal has always been to expand the system in two main ways. First, new types of notifications to let people stay on top of things other than trades and raffles, and second, new mediums through which people can be notified, even if they're not immediately active on the site.

To that end, I've built out the ability to receive notifications over email and push, added notifications for site announcements, and created a new notification settings page that lets you manage all of these things. The default behavior is exactly as it is today: only on-site notifications for the same things you're notified for today; that is, trades, raffles, and important account notices.

However, with the notification settings, you can opt into more. Before fully launching this, I'll probably add even more types of notification, such as eggs hatching/dragons growing up.

It's worth calling out that push notifications are highly dependent on browser support. Notably, iOS does not allow web push, but this will hopefully change soon.

Screenshot of the notification settings page

The feature is currently available as a trial, and can be found at the link below:

Try it out

Note: This feature is not necessarily ready for prime time, which is why it is being "announced" in suggestions/requests. Please try it out and report any issues or feedback in this thread.

oh yes, very much like that. it'll be easier to keep track of stuff

Trades - Urls in the email seem to be a problem. Some of them link to "teleport/blahblah" instead of "https://dragcave.net/teleport/blahblah".

The unsubscribe link is correct.

Edited by FortyTwo

13 minutes ago, FortyTwo said:

Trades - Urls in the email seem to be a problem. Some of them link to "teleport/blahblah" instead of "https://dragcave.net/teleport/blahblah".

The unsubscribe link is correct.

I believe this is fixed, thanks for the information.

Sweet!  Trying it out now.  

Edit >>> Any chance you might add a notification to this of when THUWED's are bred?  :)

Edited by LadyAmlaruil2

Nice! Trying it out now!

I just switched on everything for site notifications and emails for account modifications/raffle announcements. Let's see how this goes.

Thank you for this.

Edited by Shokomon

I posted this in the Discord, but I'm also doing it here!

I ran a Neglected experiment and the egg hatched immediately. I got 49 email notifications about this single egg, as well as a wall of on-site notifications telling me it had hatched. I did this experiment through an auto refresher, so I think that could feasibly be the issue, but the emails kept coming even after I stopped the AR.

IMG_7664.png

image.png.acf7baed92f04daa2e60d68e4382d85a.png

Again, I think the issue could definitely be with the auto refresher, but I figured it'd help to post about it here in case it was something else! ^_^ 

EDIT: So I just hatched a regular Tercorn using the same auto refresher and the notifs seem to be normal now. I assume it has either been fixed, or that was just a fluke! :D 

Edited by KittyHawkMC

3 hours ago, KittyHawkMC said:

EDIT: So I just hatched a regular Tercorn using the same auto refresher and the notifs seem to be normal now. I assume it has either been fixed, or that was just a fluke! :D 

I did make a change that should prevent this from happening.

Thanks TJ, I've been waiting *ages* for my leetle tree to grow up, now I won't have to sit and stare at it ;)

Nice changes!

I would love a push notif for when eggs or hatchies get sick!  :D  Unless that's already in? 

Edit:  BTW - this finally helped me solve a mystery on my browser - now it's working the way it should've been all along, lmao!  Thank you!

Edited by simkim

Thank you! I usually miss trade notifs and then they retract the offer. This will help with that, really appreciate it.

Are you talking about the forum notifications or notifications for the site itself? because if it's for the site itself, how do I see those notifications?
EDIT: nvm I just found it. I had no idea that was there!

Edited by Impulsive_Egg

I can verify the email for the raffle works even if I missed it at first.

Screenshot_20230114-175827.thumb.png.9d0d2602b343f1e33afaa44750c0039e.png

On 1/8/2023 at 11:15 PM, simkim said:

I would love a push notif for when eggs or hatchies get sick!  :D  Unless that's already in? 

Oooh +1 on this idea! I know sometimes people don't check their stuff daily so sometimes they don't see when their dragons are sick and they end up dying.

If someone with an iPhone running IOS 16.4 or later could verify that push notifications work if the site is added to your home screen (Safari doesn't allow push notifications unless the site has been added to your home screen), that'd be helpful.

EDIT: Found some people to test on Discord and confirmed it works. The page now provides the necessary instructions for how to enable notifications in Safari.