Wylla

ANSWERED:Description Parameters

Hello, I'm new here and I hope it's ok to ask a mod question. See, I take my descriptions very seriously: build your dragon's life during the medieval period, aka the Middle Ages. I come up with a scenario that fits with the dragon's site descriptions, then research to make sure that scenario is plausible in the Middle Ages. I am trying to make them unique in their environments across the continent with snippets of reference to where and why they are placed there because I find it fun to add little known facts to my dragon's descriptions.

For example: For my Mint dragon, I based her in London because that's where a candy company is located called Peppersmith. But when I mentioned London which has been called that since the 8th century (700s by Alfred the Great), it was a no-go. I changed London to Lundenburh as that was what it would've been called during Alfred's rule before being shortened to London, and went to check my other descriptions for notices. My Sunset dragon had a description that directly stated that he would fly over the Black Sea, but there was no notice to change the name. So my question was: Am I allowed to use whatever assets/names/references/culture that is deemed medieval so long as it's not well-known or are there a different set of parameters that I should follow? For example, I cannot use Constantinople even though it's called Istanbul now because it's a well known city or I can't use Rome which was established in 753 B.C. because it's still called Rome even 3000 years later. It's nerve-wracking when I get a notice, so I want to try and fix the problem before you or another mod have to tell me that there is a problem.

Thanks for any advice you can give me (or if this is not appropriate, I deeply apologize for the trouble).

I'd make up place names if I wanted them anyway, but Galsreim is not the UK or Europe. That may be part of the issue ?

And not inappropriate at all.

But you can ask this stuff here:

(It doesn't look at first sight like the right thread, but people there can help.)

Edited by Fuzzbucket

1 hour ago, Wylla said:

Hello, I'm new here and I hope it's ok to ask a mod question. See, I take my descriptions very seriously: build your dragon's life during the medieval period, aka the Middle Ages. I come up with a scenario that fits with the dragon's site descriptions, then research to make sure that scenario is plausible in the Middle Ages. I am trying to make them unique in their environments across the continent with snippets of reference to where and why they are placed there because I find it fun to add little known facts to my dragon's descriptions.

For example: For my Mint dragon, I based her in London because that's where a candy company is located called Peppersmith. But when I mentioned London which has been called that since the 8th century (700s by Alfred the Great), it was a no-go. I changed London to Lundenburh as that was what it would've been called during Alfred's rule before being shortened to London, and went to check my other descriptions for notices. My Sunset dragon had a description that directly stated that he would fly over the Black Sea, but there was no notice to change the name. So my question was: Am I allowed to use whatever assets/names/references/culture that is deemed medieval so long as it's not well-known or are there a different set of parameters that I should follow? For example, I cannot use Constantinople even though it's called Istanbul now because it's a well known city or I can't use Rome which was established in 753 B.C. because it's still called Rome even 3000 years later. It's nerve-wracking when I get a notice, so I want to try and fix the problem before you or another mod have to tell me that there is a problem.

Thanks for any advice you can give me (or if this is not appropriate, I deeply apologize for the trouble).

Hello, I'm one of the mods that does descriptions!

So, the... problem? With this is that DC doesn't take place on Earth. It takes place on the fictional world of Valkemare, so our history and our places don't really apply. If you look at the map on the front page, it doesn't really correlate with any real world continent. So in descriptions we try to avoid direct references to real world places, because in Valkemare they don't exist. It leaves a lot more room for world building, because you make up just about anything.

Here's the world page for lore reference.

A "Black Sea" might be present on any world, as opposed to "London," I think.

Thanks for the explanations. :) I'm still trying to find my way around the site, so I hadn't found the history page yet. I'll be sure to be more sneaky and vague with my descriptions from now on. ;) Thanks again!

Personally I don't agree with the fact we're not allowed any real-world references. Like in Wylla's case, their personal lore for their dragons is based on them existing in the real world, which I think is fair as it's information that only exists in their small descriptions (and perhaps names) that doesn't affect anyone else's gameplay. Idk, it just feels restrictive to me.