Confused Cat

ANSWERED:Some scripts stopped working on all my computers

Summary: may be a routing issue, but can I do anything about it (or find out if it's something else)?

I noticed yesterday that the naming check script stopped working for me (post in TLQ), and now I realized the "Add to Group" dropdown also doesn't work anymore. (It probably stopped working at the same time, I just didn't use it yesterday.) I click the little checkboxes in the dropdown, but later the dragon still is not in the groups.

Tested and found scripts not working with:

- Firefox on Linux (with script blocker disabled, additionally tested in a browser profile that never had any script blockers, ad blockers or similar)

- Firefox on Windows

- Safari on iPad (shows the mobile version; I can't find the link to make it go to the desktop version)

- Safari on iPhone, with WLAN disabled so it doesn't go through the same router as the other computers and I have a different IP address

I just noticed the group dropdown shows "Saving..." (as usual) and then "Something went wrong" at the very bottom of the group list when I click a group.

(I don't normally see what happens there because my group list is too long. Maybe I should suggest putting those messages somewhere else, but that's a different topic.)

So I guess the site tries to add the dragon to the group, but... it can't, for some reason? So some script(s) still work, but not all (parts) of them?

Since nobody else has mentioned it so far, it doesn't really look like a DC problem, but (according to my tests) also not a browser problem.

So it's probably (as Ruby Eyes suggested, and she's usually right) a routing issue. Which as far as I know would mean "nobody can fix it, but it will go away"...

Anyway, does anybody have a suggestion of something I can do, other than just waiting?

Edited by SkyWolf25
clarified title

I'm not sure if you'd see anything meaningful with that (cannot check because everything works for me), but in Firefox, there is something in Tools => Web Developer => Web Console.

Go to a dragon's Actions page, then switch on that console and try to name the dragon (or go to the view page for the group-add).

You'll see a bunch of parsing errors (due to style statements intended for other browsers) and possibly 2 script loading errors for facebook and google analytics - those are okay.

Question is, do you see anything *else* there when you try to name your dragon, or to add it to a group? Like, any "loading failed" message for dragcave scripts or such?

On the naming page, this happens (a copy of the syntax error is added every time I type something in the name field): 

image.png.c2039a3cafcdc6b07cb79ad4b2154387.png

It doesn't happen on the view page when I click groups in the dropdown. (The "Loading failed" lines are there, but nothing else happens.)

I'm not sure what/where the "unexpected character" is* and if this could even be related to the problem... Just in case, I visited and refreshed https://s.dcave.net/cache/js/d/dhlczb.js in the browser, but so far nothing has changed.

It probably can't be a genuine syntax error anyway since that would have to happen to more users. I think. Who knows.

* Probably not even visible in the console or anywhere else I can see? Assuming "JSON data" is the server's reply to a script (but modern JavaScript is witchcraft to me).

I'm typing normal letters ("aa") in the name field, so there's no "unexpected characters" in my input data.

Ok, one thing I haven't done yet is find out if someone else changed anything on our internet configuration. I think I ruled that out by using the iPhone without WLAN (so it should connect directly to the internet provider) - but before I continue complaining, I guess I better make sure it's really not something we did here.

Those errors do look like the server response to adding something to a group is not coming back as expected, but I don't see any server errors indicating that saves are failing, nor can I reproduce this issue at all.

You don't happen to have an ad-blocker too, right? The URL for saving has "ad" in it, (because it has "add" in it), but I'd hope they know better than to do that (even if they do tend to block images that just mention "ad").

18 hours ago, Confused Cat said:

I think I ruled that out by using the iPhone without WLAN

The mobile site doesn't use the dropdown for adding to groups, so it hits a completely different path.

1 hour ago, TJ09 said:

You don't happen to have an ad-blocker too, right? The URL for saving has "ad" in it, (because it has "add" in it), but I'd hope they know better than to do that (even if they do tend to block images that just mention "ad").

The browser I'm normally using (Firefox on Linux) doesn't have an ad blocker, just NoScript with DC whitelisted.

I installed Opera on a Windows computer just now, logged in to DC, tried the naming and group adding - and got the same problems.

No checkmark/X while naming, and the "Something went wrong" in the group dropdown.

According to the person in charge, nothing changed to our internet configuration (firewall or anything). So, apparently it's not the computer, not the browser, not the firewall... but also not DC since nobody else is affected.

Very mysterious.

17 minutes ago, Confused Cat said:

The browser I'm normally using (Firefox on Linux) doesn't have an ad blocker, just NoScript with DC whitelisted.

I installed Opera on a Windows computer just now, logged in to DC, tried the naming and group adding - and got the same problems.

No checkmark/X while naming, and the "Something went wrong" in the group dropdown.

According to the person in charge, nothing changed to our internet configuration (firewall or anything). So, apparently it's not the computer, not the browser, not the firewall... but also not DC since nobody else is affected.

Very mysterious.

In your firefox dev tools, can you turn on the "XHR" and "Requests" options at the top of the console (you may have to click the funnel icon to expand that)? That should show the save request/response.

xhr.png

Test: trying to add the dragon (iF0t0) to group 7991.

image.png.bbfaa439b58cc1dd6c593d990de5fa4c.png

"Params" in the POST part has the dragon ID, "true" for 7991 and "false" for (I suppose) all my other group numbers.

... Too many groups?

The /view/nullg thing is probably not supposed to happen.

image.thumb.png.4e5076e4f36ad9abc8b79c66024c13d7.png

Hey, I hope its okay to piggy-back on this - I was doing a mass re-organizing of my groups and before the maintenance run (3 am server time, midnight for me) it was fine, but since then I haven't been able to add dragons to groups (and like Confused Cat, the name check icon is not showing up anymore) unless I do it the 'manual' way through the mobile site.

I am running google chrome on mac/el capitan, have disabled ad-blocker and I've attached a screenshot of the "nullg" error - its showing up on multiple dragons.

EDIT: I don't know if it matters at all but when the original maintenance run was concluded, I had a few more times when I'd refresh the page and get the "Dragon Cave is unavailable" notice, before it'd go away again. I don't usually have that happen.

groupissue.png

Edited by Gloometh

I think TJ is working on something? I'm getting lots of tombstones instead of view pages, but a minute ago I saw an "x" on the naming page (I was just randomly testing). Now there's nothing again, but I think I'll just wait and leave DC alone for a few minutes so I don't accidentally break everything.  :lol:

Just for information:  I can view my page but clicking on individual dragons results in an error message.

Oops, cancel that - working again now!

Edited by Draig Arian

1 hour ago, Confused Cat said:

Test: trying to add the dragon (iF0t0) to group 7991.

image.png.bbfaa439b58cc1dd6c593d990de5fa4c.png

"Params" in the POST part has the dragon ID, "true" for 7991 and "false" for (I suppose) all my other group numbers.

... Too many groups?

The /view/nullg thing is probably not supposed to happen.

image.thumb.png.4e5076e4f36ad9abc8b79c66024c13d7.png

Yeah, your browser is missing some code (particularly, the part that handles URLs, hence the null). It's sending data to the entirely wrong place.

I think I found a way for that to happen, but in the process of fixing it, I did have to clear some cached files, which would have extended the issue to everyone else. It's not obvious why you weren't hitting the cached (good) version, but that's not necessarily worth looking into, and overall things should be fine now.

It's working for me, too.  :)

Name checking works, and the group dropdown says "Saved" (and does save the changes).

Thank you so much for fixing this, @TJ09!

Yep, I get it now. Happens in two different cities on two different computers (work and home).

SyntaxError: JSON.parse: unexpected character at line 1 column 1 of the JSON data   dhlczb.js:2:481

Did it get un-fixed just for me? XD

I seem to have the wrong firefox version for the XHR output.

(also, thanks purpledragonclaw :))

Am I the only one this time who doesn't get name check results or who needs to jump through hoops to get something added to a group? :dry: Feeling somewhat left alone here ...

edit: works now. Thanks for fixing!

Edited by Ruby Eyes