Pyroik

Please delete/move this I didnt mean to post it here

Please move this or delete it, I didnt mean to post it here. I pmed a mod about it. sorry for the inconvenience. ill make a better one someday

(completely remaking design)

image.png.4ef941a83b782076a4411b77e2f48768.png Here is the new design, with shading. I can edit the colors for alts and all. the lines will be edited, just for now they look like this. this is the female, ill be making a male version very soon, with a mane on both of them.

Edited by Pyroik

For a start, this isn't half bad. Not at all. But you still have a lot of work ahead of you. And, no, I haven't seen anything like it recently, nor finished.

First of all, what you already noticed yourself, is that your dragon needs to look more dragon than fish. Especially the heads are very fishy. Another thing you should edit are the whiskers. They are rather thick - maybe turn them into whiskers like Eastern dragons have them to go for a more dragon-y look?

Another thing I notice is that the black fo eyes and horns can be easily mistaken for the black markings, which is something you hould work on, too. It's kind of okay for the eyes, but maybe you could give the orns a golden color? Something different enough, yet still typical for koi.

Overall, I'm quite worried that this might not get accepted by TJ because, no matter how much you alter them, they might turn out to be too much fish and too little dragon, unless you change something drastically. One way to go is to create any kind of dragon that is *not* aquatic and only named after kois due to their markings. Imagine an amphithere (like the red-finned tidal, for example), but with koi markings and long, trailing wings. Another thing that might work well for them is a typical Eastern dragon's body. You could keep the whiskers this way, add a long, flowy mane instead of the dorsal fin, still have a long, serpentine (or fish-like) body. Add a fluffy tail tuft, similar to what some kois have for fins. And, of course, the markings.

Once you've settled on a concept - and I totally understand if you want to keep it aquatic - you could also go for alts, since kois pretty much demand for alts. As long as you only offer them to TJ as an extra, without any obligation to use them all, this should be fine. (Choice is a great thing, isn't it?)

Alright, thank you so much. I definitely will work on it a lot more.

(also going to remake it completely)

this is very bare bones and only my first design, so I completely understand if I need to remake it. Yeah, I was thinking it looked way too much like a fish, the head design is something that needs to change definitely, and ill try my best to make some better whiskers, thanks for that lol.

the one thing I was trying to go for is a fisheye look, and from most pictures of kois, they have a black spot on their forehead. I'll try and make the antlers on the design a little lighter than the black markings so that you can obviously tell between pattern, eye, and horn. also, the gold is a great idea, since they're kois and a respected breed, their dragon counterparts should be as well, since you mentioned gold, they maybe could collect bits of gold or jewelry they find, and maybe even be attracted to shiny things I guess?? don't know. gold horns is a very good idea.

I could make them like that, though I want them to be at least partially aquatic, so maybe wings that are small and used mainly for steering instead. wanted to stray away from wings, but definitely can give it some to increase its dragon look. going to give it a more dragon-like head, with better eyes to make it more dragon-like. the mane isn't a bad idea, I'll keep that and credit you for your suggestions. thanks making it into an eastern dragon koi look-alike is totally something I could do as well, ill make 2 designs, one that is non-aquatic with koi patterns, and a more serpentine/sorta fish design with an eastern dragon inspired design, with fins and a more dragon-like head. I can change everything about it, I mainly want to keep the koi patterns, so its name is fitting. for alts how many would i have to make? I can try to make it have wings but that would be sorta hard to figure out, ( I think) Thanks and ill try my best to make a better design, will take a while but then again I want it to look as good as I can get it.

will credit you entirely for the newer designs, thank you so much. ill update the post in an hour or so, keeping the older designs are a progress sorta thing.

Edited by Pyroik

Don't worry about credit, suggestions aren't worth any anyway. It's still your concept and, thus far, solely your art.

Regarding alts: I mean, the most commonly known variety is the tricolored one you used as a reference. But there are some with other typical color combinations: red&black, red&white, black&white, gold&white, black&gold... you get the idea. Some have patterned scales, too. (And I'm not even going to mention kois with just a single color, as that would probably defeat the purpose.)

Which reminds me - a long time ago, there was a request for a koi dragon, I think it was indeed an Eastern? It's been a while, though. Plus, mulitple requests with the same name/concept are welcome here, so you don't need to worry about that.

Edited by olympe

well, alright. thanks.

Black and gold sounds fun, im working on a newer design that I can give many colors.

image.png.3a8b396ee6ffbf787ce8b89b702686aa.png Here is the new base, which will receive a mane and/or wings depending on what is wanted.

also will fix that hind leg digging into the ground lol. also 1 pixel wide whiskers will be added further into the coloring process. will put this into the original post.

image.png.789187431e17b93f731bd2b452939ddc.png (the sketch)

Edited by Pyroik

I just noticed that you posted this in the wrong section. Oops. It needs to go in Dragon Requests, and needs mod approval before being published. (Sorry!)

That being said, I'd suggest starting with the sketch and only line once you're satisfied with the whole thing - concept, anatomy, pose. Right now, both sets of legs look rather wonky, maybe you should look at various animal legs? I think dogs (with short fur) and horses are favorites here on the site, but gazelles adn the like would work, too.

oops uh

uhm

lemme just

try and get this deleted?

what do I do now lol

Contact a mod and ask for this to be moved to DR. It might not be visible for quite some time, but at least it'll be where it needs to be. Also, if you want some more feedback, feel free to PM me.