AroaraAngelwolf

The Black Fox

"I'll be fine! Don't worry your little nose on it!" He said with a grin. Jeremy stayed and talked for a while before slipping away again.

(Gonna skip two days))

The Fox returned the next day, running around and playing with the children yapping happily. When the kids went home for lunch he stayed and exchanged a few words with Clover than left. The same went for the day after. Jeremy has certainly seen stunning females, both human and fox (for being a Foxkin he can choose between a vixen or a human like he can stay in one form or the other) and she was rather plain in appearance, but there was something he couldn't put his finger on that he was drawn to. A certain tender nurturing aura around her that made her appealing and easy to talk to.

That and the fact she didn't run away screaming when he became human the first time.

It was the third day. The third day he came around was the day everything turned sour. Jeremy had slipped in as usual and was stalking up on a little boy helping Clover pick out weeds in the garden, when he got very very still. He was still quite far from the two humans then.

He didn't need to look behind him to know a hunting dog was loose. His quivering nose told him the cream and brown mutt was a few feet away from him. His ear twitched slightly as the dog crept closer.

Then it leapt. In a mad dash, the Fox kicked up dirt and leaves, ripping through the rows of plants heading to the gap under the bunny hutch. A long the way though, he missteped and tumbled head over tail. The dog who wasn't far behind him pounced, and even more dirt got turned up as high picked squeals, growls and yips sounded from the scuffle.

The fox -- well, the man -- came back the next day, and the day after. Clover expected to see him again on the third day.

She didn't know what he saw in her, really… other than her playing a part in freeing him from the torment of the villagers. And that was purely by chance that they met in the forest! Nevertheless, she had a strange curiosity towards Jeremy. She wanted to know more about his half-fox nature, or at least a little more about his life.

And he was so sweet in his gestures, in his laugh, his foxy gestures. His pretty face.

He was usually around the garden by this time, though it might have been too early to have a sense of his patterns…

The child who was helping her tend to the plants cried in surprise and tumbled backwards as a black fox dashed out of the bushes, followed by a viscously barking dog. The black and orange fur was unmistakably Jeremy's.

Without thinking, Clover rushed ahead to try to separate the two animals, not caring if she were bitten by the mutt in the process.

An older boy came and helped wrestle the dog away and put it in it's cage.

Jeremy was laying very very still. When the barking moved away his ear twitched and he snapped up his head, eyes wild and wide with pain and fear. His shoulder was bleeding, his arm appeared to be broken. His back paw was really bleeding badly, and his tail was missing a bit of fur hurt more from the coyote and dog attack.

He knew he wouldn't be able to shift until he was fully healed. This scared him, being more vulnerable to predators as a fox then as a human, then add being hurt....

He attempted to crawl away, to get below cover but he didn't get very far. A child, a little girl wrapped an cloth around him and carefully picked him up. He howls and yelped in her grasp, instincts with adrenaline telling him to run, and not liking the confinement but despite that, he only bit at the cloth and not the girl. Granted, he may have bitten the mouse a few times while she was trying to get the dog off if him....

((Yes.))

Clover got bit once or twice, from which animal she didn't know, and her arms had multiple scratch marks that were now welling up with blood. One of the helpers with the garden saw her struggle and rushed over to help as well, wrestling the snarling dog out of the fray by the collar.

The young woman felt faint for a few seconds, her vision blacking out for heartbeat before she regained her balance by gripping one hand on the side of the fence and squeezing her eyes shut. The fox had already started to creep back into somewhere more sheltered. Even if he could turn into a human, Jeremy wouldn't stand a chance in the wild while he was still wounded like that.

Amelia, one of the other girls helping her with the crops and other household chores, was quick to stop him from getting away. Ignoring her own wounds, Clover went over and thanked her before cradling Jeremy's fox form and bringing him into her house.

"Don't worry, I'll help you," she cooed to reassure him.

Inside, she laid him gently on a wooden table and examined him more closely. He was bleeding more than she initially realized, and one of his front paws hung limp.

With her hands free she fumbled through her front pocket for the can of herbal medicine he gave her a few days earlier. There was still quite a bit left even after she applied it to the rabbits.

She placed the can beside him. "I'm going to fetch some water to clean your wounds. Don't move, alright?" She was honestly worried that he would try to flee even in his condition, and she hurried to the next room to get a washtub, a cloth, and some water from the tap. Not a few minutes later, she returned with the items and begun her work.

Edited by TehUltimateMage

He didn't move, being unable to, swaddled in the cloth, but he did make a ruckus when she left him. Screaming and crying until she came back. He whimpers as she washed the wounds. His front leg definitely was broken, but no nerve damage as he was trying to stand on it in the tub trying to keep himself balanced.

His neck and shoulder wounds where not at all bad, the dog only grabbed loose skin and fur. His hind leg though and his tail would get some scars. Then his back paw was bleeding because he broke a little claw at the quick. He didn't help by trying to stand in the tub as she washed him, losing his balance and falling down with a yelp. He was trying to lick her wounds clean, sometimes ending up in the way then trying to help.

Her hand trembled a little when she wiped the blood away. She felt sorry as he struggled against her, because the process probably stung, but changed her mind when he fell back into the tub, soaking her clothes and splashing water on a portion of the carpet. How troublesome -- she would just have to clean it up and get a fresh change of clothes before her father came back and found out. And, she would have to bandage her own scratches and pretend nothing happened.

Other than the whines, Jeremy had stayed mostly quiet. "How silly of me to think that you would be able to speak while under the guise of a fox," Clover mumbled to herself. Carrying the fox back onto the table to carefully dry, she took the foul-smelling ointment, applied it to him, and bandaged him before starting to do the same for her arms.

He yiped when the salve was put on him. When she wrapped him up he looked at her sadly. He whimpers. Only for a little while. And with one. Our magic isn't like the Fox demons of distant lands. came a faint voice. It didn't pass from his lips like words, but certain sounds turned to words. It was weak, barely above a whisper. I can't speak for long

((I can't remember if I said he could or couldn't talk))

Edited by AroaraAngelwolf

The words came not to her ears, but directly into her mind. It startled her and the brown-haired girl looked around for the source of the worlds, before noticing it came from Jeremy even though he didn't move. His green eyes just kept staring at her. "Fox demons?" she repeated? "So you are a kind of devil after all? I mean, I understand why you would imply that you weren't when we first met in the forest..." Now that she was more comfortable with him and that he couldn't talk a lot, Clover let out all the questions in her mind. "There's more of you in the world?"

"Oh! I'm sorry! I don't want you to waste your energy talking so... Can you write? I mean it's kind of a silly idea since foxes don't have thumbs and can't grasp writing implements...!" She said the last part quickly, her face heating up from an embarrassed blush.

"Book on my kind in my home. Follow the big cat to find it. Not demon. We work with runes....." his voice was vary faint. More whines then words. "try and write..." He said softly as he attempted to draw a rune in water on the table. It didn't work. Not with one paw braced up. "Ink can hold.......... .... mounth on paper..."

Clover nodded. She'll have to keep in mind to find take a look by following his cat (it was a really big cat, he told her a few days ago). "If I ever go look for that book, I can bring some of your stuff back here for you."

She watched as he tried to scratch the table. "Right, writing with claws..." His words were getting weaker, but the ink pot was a good idea. "Hold on, I'll be right back with some ink."

The girl dashed to her room, searching her shelf for some of her writing ink and paper. It felt a bit wasteful to use it like this since Jeremy was probably just going to dip his nose in it and splatter it everywhere, so she poured some from the pot into a shallow bowl and diluted with a little water before bringing the ink and the paper to the fox. "Take care not to get it on the carpet! It's pretty important to my father."

His black lips pulled back in a foxy grin. He then delicately turned and licked the end of his tail. After making it very smooth, he turned around and, looking over his shoulder, dipped his tail in the ink and wrote runes on the paper until his makeshift brush ran out of ink. Making sure he doesn't knock anything over he turned around again and took a deep breath in, he leans over the paper and exhaled through his nose holding a note. The rune glowed orange like his marks before turning into words.

He sniffed indignantly with a huff. To think he would make a mess, he is more then a fox! The words said:

I wanted a brush so I can see what I am doing, it is hard to work with a unruly tail. Yes, there's more of my kind. No I am not a demon. I am a Foxkin, our kind has been diluted with human blood so our ability is limited to runes, and small visual effects. Like disguising my den opening as a cliff wall. Sorry about the mess. I was trying to help clean your wounds.

To say that Clover was surprised would be an understatement. From when the black fox used his tail to him painting a shape, the young woman didn't quite know what to expect, but he managed to subvert her expectations at every turn, causing her to put a hand over her mouth to hide her shock. A fox with a grin was the most curious thing...

The ink runes glowed orange like fire, and she nearly stumbled over her own feet again. And yet, the paper was not consumed by the flame-like effect; instead, they faded into recognizable english letters in neat cursive.

"No worries, the mess is nothing I can't clean up!" Her words tumbled out as she suddenly regained her voice after being stunned for half a minute. "I don't see how you could hold one, but do you still need a brush?"

Again he wrote, and again he did the same thing, making the runes glow.

I can hold it in my mouth. Thank you for saving me. I owe you a debt that dog would've tore me apart.

He tilted his head and leaned out so his nose brushed her hand. He licked her fingertips lightly with a whimper.

(To be real honest, I'm not as interested in this as I used to be but I'll post on Thursday and we can exchange some posts this weekend.)

She reached out with her fingertips to gently caress the soft fur of his cheek. "I barely did anything. You were saved by one of the boys outside, and any one of the kids would have brought you home to nurse. Not all humans are bad." His wounds were not severe enough to permanently handicap him or merit getting him put down, and so Clover was convinced that even if she weren't there, not much more ill would have befallen the fox. The villagers would help, wouldn't they? The magic and the fox's strange markings might have been something they feared, but fear came from the lack of understanding.

Although, it was a little suspicious that the dog became loose in the first place at this time of the day.

Jeremy rubbed his cheek against her fingers. His tail began writing once more and he blew in the paper.

That dog was let loose. I heard the gate creek. Someone in your town wants me killed. I don't know who. Could I stay here for a while? My injuries would heal enough in three weeks. I'll stay quiet and out of sight. In three weeks I can change back and stay at home to complete my healings. Although, if you ask nicely I might go to the autumn festival with you. Everyone has costumes so I'd fit right in. He looked at her with a cackle and a wink... then a wince right after followed by a whimper.

"Are- are you asking me on a date?" Clover stammered. She put a hand to her hot face, trying to hide her surprise. She didn't have anyone else to go with for the Autumn festival and usually she would help out the townspeople display their wares... "Well, I'll ask nicely, then." She gave a coy smile. "Will you come to the festival with me?"

"You can stay here." It was the safest place, after all. "My father should be alright with it."

The fox grinned again so wide this time he sneezed. This time he only did two runes before it changed to a few words. I would love to go with you, thanks for asking kindly. He let out a cackle and nosed her hand.

He yawned and wrote a final few runes.

I'll say out of sight then and yes, I was asking you on a date. Well more like asking you to ask me on a date, but still, same thing. I am quite tired. Let me clean my tail before you pick me up. I don't want a mess everywhere, I am a tidy fox, I don't like making many messes when I could help it. He yawned again and licked the now black tip of his tail until it was orange again. It took a while for him to do that, so she could clean up and get a bed ready in the meantime.

"Ill challenge you." A young white fox stepped into the arena, a staff in his paw and a blindfold over his eyes. He smiled, remembering this opponent. "Well, care for a rematch, Saito?"

equips Regal Staff: Str17