nlechoppa

Falconry

Are you considering falconry?  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

as in, hunting with hawks? I've always thought it's a nifty concept, but I'm way too urban. no hunting for me! laugh.gif

I'm tempted, but no.

I personally think a dog would be too much work, not to mention needing to board it if I wanted to go somewhere on vacation. From the research I've done, raptors are way more work than dogs, and there aren't any boarding kennels (boarding mews?) for them. If I recall correctly, only another licensed falconer (or possibly a wildlife rehabilitator) is allowed to care for them, so good luck if you ever want to take a trip.

At most, I would consider finding a local wildlife rehabilitation center and volunteer there; with any luck I'd get some training with raptors without having to commit to more time than I can spare right now.

While I would love to, in principle, I know for a fact that I don't have the time to dedicate to the care of the birds.

Oh, I do like birds of prey, but I don't think I have the time for another feathered friend right now... Maybe someday when I'm retired and no longer dedicate time to codeworks. rolleyes.gif

I was interested for like 5 minutes until I read about how to need to do an apprenticeship for a few years. No thanks. I would never even be able to find someone like that here anyway.

If I had the time and money in the future, I'd love to! Here in the UK, you dont need a licence to keep birds of prey.

I think i'd like to work with them in zoos and falconry centers doing displays and education and the such, rather than hunting with my own birds.

If I had the time and money in the future, I'd love to! Here in the UK, you dont need a licence to keep birds of prey.

I think i'd like to work with them in zoos and falconry centers doing displays and education and the such, rather than hunting with my own birds.

Ooh, I suppose there is a pretty long history of falconry there, so that makes sense. I would do it, if I had the time and proper training. I adore birds.

I'm planning to do Falconry myself soon, your thoughts on this?

I do not post often lately but I could not ignore this topic: I was a falconer. When I was living in Europe I got heavily involved in Falconry. The gentleman that persuaded me to try was a very special person. His name was Amedeo Arpa (google him), passed away few months ago, was a very well-know artist (sculptor and architect) and was very passionate about bonsai and falconry. He even wrote a book about falconry. He was the breeder of my first Falco Peregrinus and of my Falco Cherrug.

First of all: if you are squeamish, avoid. Your stomach will have a few problems the first time that your falcon brings you a rabbit, or, if you get a Cherrug or something that size, something bigger.

Second: take in consideration the heartbreak. You get easily attached to falcons. Falcons do not complain and by the time you notice that something is wrong, they are dead.

Edited by _Sin_

I absolutely ADORE falconry. Everything about it sounds incredible, and to me the reward is completely worth all the hard work. Unfortunately I just don't have the time for it, and I may never have the time.

If I ever had the chance, I would do it in a heartbeat. A red-tailed hawk is my dream bird. I already get to be around some bald eagles, a kestrel, a turkey vulture, and two owls at the zoo I JZK at. I don't get to work with them yet, but I've seen how they're cared for at least. I plan on researching it some more, just to familiarize myself. Even if I can't do it, I would love to know how it all goes. I already have a basic understanding, but I want to learn more.

Good luck to all the prospective falconers!

One of my chefs at the college had multiple birds of prey, including a bald eagle, horned owls, barn owls and several others. He showed them often.

Working with these wonderful birds is something to be treasured for the rest of your life. I know I'll never forget the years I spent working with raptors at Weeki Wachee Springs in not only the rehab, but the birds of prey show. Hubby actually got his apprenticeship, but never followed up on it (had a red-shoulder hawk for awhile, and building the mew was actually fun). I didn't get the chance to take the test, and by the time I could, the park was starting to close that area down. We were one of the few places that could still fly raptors over the audiences' heads (grandfathered in). There is really nothing like feeling the power of a golden eagle first-hand or the thrill of lure-flying a falcon to "Danger Zone"!

Hope the images posts...Me with several of the birds of prey I worked with. And these pictures were taken over 20 years ago.

user posted image, user posted image, user posted image, user posted image, user posted image, user posted image

That's illegal in every state that allows falconry IIRC.

I don't think it is in Canada, though?

That's illegal in every state that allows falconry IIRC.

Not in canada.

user posted image

Edited by Starscream