Santa07

What's the big deal about messy lineages?

I'm not one who cares too much about lineages but I don't breed dragons with messy lineages.

I'm more than happy to give the little mutts a home but there are some dragons I'm more selective about.

At the beginning I didn't care about lineages either. Then I ran out of dragons to collect and started collecting CBs. Then I had all the CBs... you see where this is going.

It's just a way to have something to do on DC.

They're also pretty to look at  wink.gif

This.

At first I didn't pay attention to linages. When I started to, I first went looking for all the inbreds on my scroll and abandoned them (or in case of Metals that had already produced an egg, killed them), and I'm just now, 2-3 years after I became first conscious of lineages, going through all my dragons again, renaming the ones that are not CB nor bred by myself, and releasing all with a messy lineage (except my oldest dragon, it will stay on my scroll for proof). I have so many dragons, I don't need the messy ones on my scroll anymore to have a full scroll wink.gif

I - really - like - looking - at - neat - lineages - now. smile.gif

Nice lineages are a goal to work towards. There's endless possibility available for breeding nice lineages, with tons of variety. Some people breed to a certain theme, like the rainbow lineages where they go down the hues to make it extra pretty. Some even make a theme based on TV shows or other pop culture references, and so on and so forth.

Then there's people like me who deliberately collect inbred, messy lineages because that's yet another thing to strive towards haha.

And some combine nicely lineaged with inbred hahahahaha.

I already have at least one of every sprite except some frozen hatchies and retired sprites. At this point, there is no reason for me to collect messy lineages. I am extremely picky about lineages because I like having perfect mates to breed eggs with perfect lineages. It's just the way I like to play. No one is telling you that you can't like messy lineages, just as we're perfectly allowed to prefer lineages that are bred a certain way. smile.gif

For me, it's also personal preference. However, I WILL grab any Red or Pink regardless of the lineage. BSA and all that. I also breed my Golds/Silvers with messy lineages and send them to the AP, mostly for people who just can't get one, usually newbies grab those.

And...what she said regarding when we could never see the lineages, and it was a true hassle. I have some pretty hysterical inbreds, as well as layers upon layers of lineages that somehow lead back to an original Thuwed.

Edit: back before TJ gave us our lineage viewers, I also had little to no idea about lineages.

We used to be able to look back at the lineage of our dragons only one step at a time, so I never really bothered, although I did eventually find out about a now long-defunct fansite which allowed people to see their lineages, so I knew and cared nothing about them when I first started either.

It was the lineage viewers becoming available on our dragons which made so many of us generally aware of 'ooooo, that's pretty' or 'Uck, what a mess' lineages, and opened up a whole new aspect for DC to the community.

Other have said it well enough, but there are also the lyric/ poem people.

Sometimes we make things like This!

Took me over a year but it was a lot of fun and sometimes other people appreciate it too.

Personally I don't care about lineages that much, but I do like to have most of my dragons CB or 2nd gen, unless they are really rare. When I started playing I didn't think about it at all, and I don't care too much now either. It happens, and not so rarely, that I pick up an abandoned egg just because I feel like it and keep it regardless of the lineage. I don't even bother checking if it's inbred. smile.gif

Took me over a year but it was a lot of fun and sometimes other people appreciate it too.

OMG that is the most fabulous song lineage I have ever encountered ohmy.gif

That is a gorgeous lineage! ohmy.gif

As a lot of other people have already said, seeing something like that lineage ^ looks much more impressive than picking up something like this. It just looks way prettier! happy.gif

I don't mind messy lineages or people who breed them. I keep them sometimes too if there's something fun in the lineage or it's a rare, but usually I will toss a messy egg back into the AP if I find it.

I used to breed randomly around with my dragons when I had no idea how nice you could actually make a lineage look and thus I bred a ton of very messy dragons and tossed them into the ap xd.png

I'm not much of a breeder, I just rescue eggs from the AP, but I only breed to get exclusive dragons like Shallow Water, or Hellhorse. I'm more of a collector.

I prefer messy lineages. Perfect two-breeds stairsteps or checkers are a tombstone on my fantasy, not to mention a misgendered dragon is enough to ruin the whole work.