sparkle10184

Indoor vs. Outdoor Cats

I have 2 indoor cats and one indoor/outdoor cat. About a month ago my indoor/outdoor cat, Elvis, was lost for 5 days. It was the first time that had ever happened with him. He got trapped in a fence and couldn't get out. It wasn't one of those wooden fences that he could grab a hold of with his claws. It was a black iron fence. The house owner saw him in their backyard and opened the gate for him to get out. He came home to me on his own. He was a lot lighter, he had a scratch on his nose, and he was really thirsty. My indoor cats are very curious to what is in that outside world. While i wa gone to fall retreat last week my mom's friend came to watch my cats and dog and when she opend the back door the first night i was gone Copper, one of the indoor cats, got out. It was dark so my mom's friend had to get a flash light and go searchingfor him that way. It turned out that the fence wasn't even closed. Copper had gotten outof the fence and into the front yard. Something had to have scared him because he jerked and ran back inside the fence and was brought into the house by my moms friend. He escapes into the garage very easily so i have to be quick when I go in and out of the house anywhere. He got out today when I had gone out to get something from the garage. I dropped what I had to get and ran to grab Copper. His brother Ember is indoor too but he doesn't seem to be as quick to wanting out. He slowly creeps up. He likes to look out the window. Copper is more mischevious .

We finished screening in my back porch a couple months ago, so my kitties can go watch the squirrels and birds to their heart's content. It's been quite nice for them. Granted, the kitten ran face first into the screen twice before he figured out something was there. tongue.gif

Out on the farm we had one neighbor that was legendary for the horde of cats on his property. He didn't spay or neuter any of them sadly or anything else. They have short lives there though. Many new strays get picked off by: Coyotes, vultures, dogs and a couple Great Horned Owls. Or they just run into the road.