kkkllleee

The smell of people

Do you find the smell of certain people totally unbearable often?  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

OK, so I'm interested, in the way different people react to the odor of others in different situations, just pay attention on the wording of the question. smile.gif

I'm very sensitive to scent, so being around someone that reeks isn't high on my list of pleasurable experiences. There's the good, clean sweat smell that's alright, then there's people with bad hygiene. I tend to avoid those, but it's impossible if one of them is standing right behind or in front of me in line at a store.

The blunt side of my nature wants to say 'You know you need a shower, right?' and the nicer part of me realizes that it might be some medical issue they can't help, or if they're obviously homeless I just grit my teeth and deal, holding my breath as much as possible, until I can get away from them. I really don't want to embarrass anyone. It's tricky. If you're working with someone that smells all the time, something has to be said eventually as diplomatically as possible. If they're friends of mine with no known issues and they suddenly let their hygiene go to hell in a hand basket, I'll say something in a skinny second when we're alone and ask what's up.

It doesn't anger me, it's not personal, I just find people that smell bad distasteful and really don't want to be in their vicinity.. Who does?

As a teen I never used to use deoderant. I see the use now. Even guys need deoderant. I no longer smell like sweaty gym socks smile.gif

Smokers make me physically ill from their smell. I won't be friends with smokers for this reason. Dirty feet/socks have a similar effect.

The poll needs another option, as a smell doesn't necessarily have to be a bad one to bother me... "Yes, when they drown themselves in their perfume or aftershave."

Worse, of course, is if doing so takes the place of bathing. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with a little honest sweat, especially on a hot day or when someone's been doing some kind of physical work. (Gym workout, lugging furniture around, etc.) But several days' worth of stale sweat does get to be a bit much, and then OD-ing on a fragrance on top of it just compounds the problem.

I don't like the smell of people who don't clean themselves/smoke/drink heavily.

There has been this one guy attending the same university program as I these past few years, and it seems like he's never taken a bath, shower or shave during that period of time. In the beginning you only noticed the smell when you were sitting right next to him, but this past spring, in the third year, the entire classroom would reek of sweat and dirt like a never cleaned locker room within minutes of him entering. If he'd sit near me I'd have to move further away, because as rude as it was, I don't think me vomiting in the classroom would be very appreciated.

I just don't understand what would compel someone to neglect their hygiene so. It wasn't a question about him not being able to pay the water bills or something, we had seen him spend money quite frivolously on other things. I've even considered the idea that maybe he was conducting an experiment or something.

The only other time I've encountered something similar was way back in like elementary school, there was this man who'd sometimes get on the same bus as me and my classmates and the entire vehicle would smell something awful when he was there. But he was a lonely old man, so maybe he had some hindering impairments or simply felt like he didn't need to maintain hygiene anymore.

Edit: Well, to make things clear; it wasn't just the smell that made me think they didn't bathe or shower, the guy in the same program as I lived in a house of student apartments and his neighbors (other students in the same program) claim they never heard a shower running, aside the fact that the smell also seemed to get worse with time. The evidence seemed to suggest it was a choice on his part. You could also see that they had old dirt clinging to them. The old man even had black stains like soot covering him in patches, so when he'd touch things he'd leave dark, greasy stains behind.

Edited by Ripan

As far as natural body odor goes, I can't stand being near people who smell like they haven't washed up in days and have been sweating all along. New sweat, like someone was just exercising in someway, is usually a smell I like(especially guys), as well as freshly cleaned body without any deodorant or body spray. I'm not easily offended by scents, but some just really get to me and old unwashed sweaty body odor is one.

I would probably never say, "Hey you smell." to someone's face, and I understand that some people just can't help it, but I do try to leave their company as quickly as possible without seeming rude.

Body Odor isn't always due to a lack of good hygiene as some others have pointed out. However, unless you live with them as in a dorm or home you are not going to be able to state this person never bathes as fact.

I have known people who seem to smell awful even after they have just showered with soap and used a deoderant. At the point I knew this teen he had had the problem since at least 9th grade and the doctor had yet to figure out what could be done. He is one of the nicest, kindest guys you will ever meet.

Another kid who played with my kids and spent weeks at out house had a horrible foot odor. He bathed often and I assume thoroughly. He was 10, I didn't climb into the bathroom with him. His feet just stunk. Hopefully both males have managed to overcome their scent problems.

I find perfume, aftershave, colognes and some room or car deoderizers way more offensive then sweat stink. I dislike the old sweat stink, but the perfumey smells make me gasp for breath, cough and wheeze. A little scent goes a long way. Church is a real challenge and I haven't been able to make it through a Sunday service with a filled chirch in ages. I normally don't attend any large gathering because of breathing problems brought about by the thoughtlessness of others.

Yes, I do believe the poll needs changing or just going away. Offensive smells, you manage to tolerate, you can't or won't or they make you ill and you leave or just don't go places.

I talk too much; sorry.