Kestra15

Rapture

Erin smiled at Nougat nosing her way under Emily's hand. "Good dog," she whispered and rubbed her back, "tend to your human." She kept her hand close to the dog's shoulders in case she needed to pull her away.

"If we're ready, I don't think we should stick around talking," Mak said, casting a nervous glance at the fire raging at the brewery. "If another silo goes up, we may catch ourselves a second explosion and I don't want any more injured. Oakington can't be far enough for here and I'd rather not sit about exposed. Emily, do you think you'd be okay to move?"

"Good call" Erin agreed. She unfastened Emily's neckbrace and offered her the ice pack. "Keep this on the back of your neck to help with the nausea" she suggested before turning her attention back to Mak.

"Quick," she said, "I'll help you pack this place up."

She turned back to Petra. "Could you start your car?" she asked, "Assuming he's still alive, we can probably be outta here before Juane comes back." She covered her heart and posed nobly. "I'm sure there's nothing he would want more than to Die in a Fire."

Edited by Fangirl05

Well it didn't look like Emily was in any serious danger. Now that everyone was starting to get ready to resume the trip James looked around for Whisperlee.

"Should we get going?" he suggested. He began walking back towards his bike again.

((Utter failure of a post. Sorry T-T))

"Again, yes" Erin agreed, moving back toward Petra's car, "preferably before our resident headcase comes back."

Wait, what if he came back on fire looking for help? Damn it all, she didn't think she had it in her to ignore that. Then again, out of sight, out of mind... Nah, it was best to get gone before he came back. Or if he came back; there was still a chance he'd walked straight into the fire as an offering to... Ho, was it?

Edited by Fangirl05

As Jaune trotted back he was thinking about how the fire started. He also wondered whether someone did it at the time so that they would see it, or whether it was purely by accident.

As he returned he heard the annoying witch proclaim "preferably before our resident headcase comes back". He didn't believe it was a harsh insult, rather boring, but knowing the witch she would only use that tone when describing him. Jaune snarled, they're having a picnic and they want to leave before he can get back.

He quietly sneaked up behind Erin, and then snapped his hands around and covered her eyes.

"Surprise! The headcase is back!" He then licked his lips in a very long drawn out manner, trying to emphasize the craziness.

"Mmm I'm getting hungry, perhaps we can use the fire to burn the witch hear and then have a little feast. I'm french, I can cook anything, and I hear Dingo is a delicacy!" He exclaimed. Obviously he had no intention of eating the strangely named cat, nor did he know if Dingoes were delicacies. He also wasn't sure whether he could cook anything but he felt he wasn't the worst cook out of their little group. He was probably better than James and the Witch.

He also realised he was probably going to get hit if he kept his hands around the witches eyes for too long and quickly stepped back, out of her reach.

((Why you wanna leave Jaune? He's so cute and fluffy sad.gif ))

((Again, Erin thinks he's a danger to the rest of them, so she figures it's better to cut him loose and keep everyone else alive.))

Erin squawked in alarm at having her head grabbed, especially by Juane, and shuddered hard at sound of him licking his lips so close to her ear. She remembered how he had sorta-kinda hit on her back in Hawkingsthorne; it made her feel like she had an ant colony crawling all over her to think about it now.

She glared hard at Juane mentioning killing her kitten again. She wasn't sure how she managed it, but she flipped him halfway around and yanked the ferret out of his hood.

"I think I'll keep this as collateral" she growled at him. She acknowledged that she was probably holding its scruff too tightly, but she didn't care; it might upset Juane to see it mistreated.

Speaking of which, she glanced from Juane to it and back and smiled nastily at him. "I think I know just the place to put it" she drawled. "A cat and five kittens and a ferret walk into a box..."

She loosened her hold on its scruff a little - didn't want it twisting out of her hand and running back to him - and carried it toward Petra's car.

Oh great. The kids were squabbling again.

While James didn't actually think of Erin or Jaune as children, the constant bickering between the two was starting to get on his nerves. When they set up base at Oakington, he'd have to make sure they got placed as far apart from each other as possible. He didn't want Jaune trying to set fire to Erin in her sleep, or for Erin to lose it and shiv the guy. Not that James would blame her.

Getting back on his bike James turned it around and waited for Whisperlee to do the same.

Wisperlee looked at Emily and breathed a sigh of relief when the girl cuddles with Nougat and seemed to get up. Although she didn't want anyone in the group to get hurt, Emily ranked pretty high on her new list of people she cared about.

Seeing that Mak and James were ready to move on (probably a wise decision, with the plant still burning nearby), Wisperlee nodded to them and got on her bike. She was faintly aware of Jaune and Erin bickering again, but paid it no mind. They were part of the reason she wasn't travelling in a car and it looked like that decision was validated. Other than that, it was none of her concern.

"Lunchtime, guys!" Erin chirped, shaking Juane's ferret by its scruff, and climbed into the car. "Let's shove off, then" she said decisively, shut the door and locked it.

She loosened her hold on the ferret and stroked its back in what she hoped was a soothing way. "Don't worry, little one" she said gently, "I bear you no ill will, only your owner."

It was all Mak could do to stop from throttling the two firestarters in the group - that, and his hand was still sore from trying to punch a door earlier. Intercepting Jaune before he could follow Erin, he somehow managed to keep an even tone to his voice. "She won't hurt ferret," he said slowly, "And I don't believe you actually will try and cook the kittens. But if you do keep yanking Erin's chain the way you do then don't be surprised if she does take some sort of retaliatory action against you. And don't think you're the only one who will get this speech," he added before Jaune could protest innocence of that Erin deserved a similar speech. She wasn't above reproach herself.

"Let's get Emily back in the ambulance," he continued as Nay started up her vehicle and crept forwards away from the fire, looking to their outriders as they too prepared and giving them the thumbs-up to set off. "Petra, you take the lead again as before. It won't take long to get to our destination, and we can lick our wounds there."

Erin smiled cruelly as Mak pulled Juane aside, then quickly balked when he turned a similarly angry look her way. She sighed and rolled down her window, prepared to take her earful like a man. Er, woman.

"Dingo, my love," she said seriously, "take good care of your family for me."

Petra also tried to ignore the bickering between Juane and Erin. The fright and concern of Emily getting injured, and her own aches and pains received from the explosion blast all went to make her feel tired, and emotional, and now that the adrenalin rush was leaving her body she just wanted to get to Oakington as quickly, and as drama free as possible.

She stayed to help Emily and Nougat get settled as comfortably as possible into the ambulance, and then walked over and got into her to her own vehicle.

Catching Erin's eye and noting how her brash facade dropped, Mak decided to capitalise on the moment and left loading Emily to the rest as he made his way to the forward vehicle. The struggle to keep a calm demeanor was evident in his eyes, and as he arrived at Erin's window he simply pinned her with a look as he tried to quell his anger.

"You are both as bad as each other," he said plainly. "There was no need to antagonise him to begin with, and while he may have deserved a slap for grabbing you like that death threats are out of the question, no matter who they are aimed at and no matter who made the first one. Learn to be the bigger person and walk away." He didn't bother making a threat as to what would happen if she didn't; if anything, it should be fairly evident by now that the rest of the group were tired already of the pair's antics and that if it carried on both would find themselves no longer part of the group. And in a world like theirs eviction could very well be a death sentence.

"Pass me the ferret," he said finally, holding cautious hands out. No doubt the animal would be getting skittish.

With Whisperlee ready to go James started off again. He did not envy Mak his role of peacekeeper in the slightest.

He wondered if Erin or Jaune would end up trying to kill each other. Jaune, well he'd believe anything of him, and Erin didn't seem too stable either. Bets to keep well out of it.

As he drove he kept a careful eye on his mirrors for any signs of further trouble. Thankfully it wasn't much longer before he started seeing signs for the turn off to Oakington.

"Be nice to Mak" she rubbed the ferret's head gently as she handed it over. "And you really think I didn't try?" she asked him with a frown, "This may shock you to hear, but I asked for a ceasefire outside the hospital, and I tried to help him with the funeral for that mantis. The first time he outright refused, the second time he just ignored me. If you or anybody else can figure out how to get him to believe me, I'm all ears." She sat back in her seat.

Apparently Emily wasn't seriously hurt. That was a relief. Micah didn't know the girl all that well, but she seemed nice enough, at least, and with the way she'd been lying on the ground earlier, he'd been afraid that there was something really wrong with her. Watching Emily get up and get back into the other car, Micah stretched legs that were stiff after the long car ride and got back into his seat.

He groaned softly at hearing yet another argument break out between Jaune and Erin - apparently the crazy boy had managed to not burn himself to death in the fire - and flinched as he saw Erin head back to the car he was in with Jaune's new ferret. He really did not want to ride in the same car with one of those, at least not loose. Micah didn't know much about the behavior of those animals as pets, but he was willing to bet that they weren't the most friendly creatures. He heaved a small sigh of relief when Mak came over to Erin and demanded the ferret back, though he was surprised at how easily the girl gave it up. He tried to consider whether he should get involved in the argument going on behind him. Apparently Erin was trying to defend her decision to provoke Jaune. Micah didn't want to do or say anything that would make anyone in the group want to cast him out, but he didn't think needlessly provoking a madman was a good idea, either.

"It's not about getting him to believe you, it's about not doing anything that will make him lash out. Who knows what he might have done when you took his pet away from him? I've known him for less time than you and I've already had more than enough cause to learn that that's not a good idea, as I'm sure you'll recall," he told Erin, tone laced with disapproval. He kept his gaze focused on the dashboard in front of him, briefly nodding at Petra as she sat back down next to him. He wanted to get out of here as well.

Erin raised her eyebrow at the back of Micah's head. "Well, you're awful quick to defend a guy who accused you of cross-dressing" she jibed, "And like I just told Mak, I swear to God I'm trying to bury the hatchet with the guy, I know us fighting isn't gonna do any of us any good, but he doesn't seem interested and there's only so much I can do." She frowned more seriously. "So I'm not gonna go starting anything, but I'll give as good as I get."

Micah frowned, having forgotten that Jaune had accused him of crossdressing with everything that had happened since then, but then, in a rush, it returned to him. Trying to ignore the anger that curled inside of him at remembering, he told Erin, "I'm not trying to defend Jaune, I'm just trying to avoid having him set off a fire like that one over there, or something along those lines," and he nodded towards the still-burning remains of the plant. "If you truly feel that it's necessary to provoke him even knowing the danger, at least try to do it when no one else is present. Of course I'd rather you remain safe as well, but please at least try to keep the well-being of the others in mind." Micah had no idea why Erin was insisting on continuing to provoke Jaune, even considering how volatile she seemed to be. Especially when it seemed to be because of an issue of pride. Micah knew that pride could be very important to a person, but was it really worth putting everyone's life in danger?

Erin sighed and touched her forehead against her window. What was wrong with these people?! Did they not hear her saying she didn't want to fight with Juane all the time?! Maybe not spending most of your waking moments thinking you were going to be doused with gasoline and set on fire made you stupid.

She fished Dingo out of the box and cuddled him into her chest.

Taking the ferret Mak left Erin to talk with Micah and returned to the ambulance, handing the ferret back to Jaune when he got there. With everyone finally going back to their vehicles he climbed into the driver's seat, went through his safety checks, and started the engine. Thankfully the blast didn't seem to have done any damage to the working parts, and as the engine idled Mak got out for one last lap of the ambulance to check the wheels and chassis were intact. By the time he returned to his seat the group were ready, and he waved at Petra to move away.

Jaune bowed as Erin took Juni from him. He stood up and wiped away a tear (he's a brilliant actor).

"Alas poor Juni, never fear for you are protected by thy lords hand and he shall deliver you back to safety" He chimed, waving his hand in farewell. Pausing he watched as Mak walked over and quickly took Juni from Erins arms.

Smiling Jaune accepted the ferret from Mak and casually placed her in his hood.

"How was your journey young one? She didn't torture you did she?" He asked with mock seriousness. Jaune skipped over towards the ambulance and casually hopped inside.

(By the way, he still hasn't noticed that Emily has been injured)

Erin sighed as Juance bounced into the ambulance. "He's probably gonna kill Emily now" she droned, stroking Dingo's fur, "All that effort shot."

Emily clinged to Nougat as the dog came closer to her. She was glad that the pooch didn’t get hurt with her falling over. When Mak suggested that they should leave Emily just nodded still hugging her dog. Her headache made it a challenge for her to get up but luckily with the help of everyone she got in with no trouble.

As Emily got in she decided to rather sit on the floor than on one of the seats. She had a small fear that something like that would happen again and she knew her head wouldn’t be able to take another blow like that. As everyone went back to their vehicles Emily made herself comfy resting against the seats. Nougat sat besides her acting as a bit of support. Eventually as the van went in motion Emily slowly closed her eyes and started to fall into a peaceful sleep.

The rest if the trip to Oakington was smooth, with many of the vehicles having coasted or crashed out of the way. Not that there were that many to begin with, there hadn't been too many cars on the roads whenever it had happened.

Oakington was the same as Hawkingsthorne and Stanleytone, eerily quiet and devoid of any movement beyond that of the wind and the odd pigeon. At least James thought they were pigeons. He wasn't much of a ornithologist. Maybe some of them were seagulls.

Remembering Mak had said something about an extended pub near the busway, James led the search for it. However when he turned down the street something else caught his attention.

"Aw censorkip.gif."

Stopping his bike he climbed off and ripped off his helmet. The sad figure dangling from the railings of the busway was...well...very sad indeed. Some guy in his mid fifties by the looks of it. Still in his pyjamas. Judging by the state of his slippers he must have walked all over the place. James spotted a dressing gown neatly folded on the ground underneath. The cord of which had been used to perform the act.

James walked a little closer, nearly leaping out of his skin with fright when a slipper suddenly fell off. He was no expert, but they didn't look like they had been dead long. James found himself wondering if they could have been a few minutes faster getting there.