Kestra15

Rapture

"Hey," Erin called up to Micah, "you want some help with that?" She raised her hands in a pacifying gesture. "If you don't mind, I mean."

Jaune turned and looked at the crazy man.

"Oooo, I'd love to help, but I have to say I think bringing your sisters stuff a long would be rather pointless. I think we should burn it! That way no one gets to touch it and we can also roast marshmallows!" Jaune exclaimed loudly.

Before anyone could stop him Jaune bolted up the stairs.

"I promise not to wake you James!" He chided happily as he rushed past him.

((Haha! The race is on!))

Erin's eyes narrowed and her lip curled back to reveal her teeth. "Come back here, you pervert!" she yelled after him and gave chase, "You've got no business poking around in a strange woman's luggage!"

"HEY!" Micah's eyes widened and, forgetting all about James for the moment, dashed up the stairs after Juane in a panic, hoping to beat the unstable young man to his sister's room. "You can't burn my sister's things!" he yelled at Jaune, suddenly sharply aware that they were now the only reminders of her - no, of his entire family - that he had in the world.

At the sound of their words Jaune paused in his running and turned, jabbing his finger into the chest of Micah.

"If anything YOU'RE the pervert! I merely want to burn the clothes as they have no use to us, but could provide a source of heat... you on the other hand have no reason for keeping your sisters clothes. What do you plan on doing them once you have them in your possession? Will I wake up in the middle of the night to find you wearing a dress and kissing your reflection in the mirror... I thought that went against your beliefs?" Jaune asked, jabbing his finger into Micahs chest. As if agreeing Juni let out a small growl and stood up in the hood, and leaning on Jaunes shoulder.

With a sigh and the roll of his eyes James ran up the stairs after the others. The upstairs corridor was narrow but he managed to wedge himself between Jaune and the other two

"Look, nobody is burning anything. We don't need a source of warmth, at least not yet. The heating system is still on so it'd just be a waste."

He looked over his shoulder at Micah.

"If there is anything of your sister's you'd like to keep, go get it. But I'd advise you pack lightly, I don't want to see you trying to lug around an entire wardrobe. If you'd allow it, Erin can give you a hand."

He turned back to look at Jaune.

"Can you just for once keep your mouth shut before someone decides to do it for you? We seem to be stuck with you and you're stuck with us, unless you'd like to try and go it alone. So lets all play nice and not start mouthing off all the damn time. I'm to knackered to deal with this crap right now."

Wisperlee sighed. At least they'd been able to finish dinner without any major upset, she thought. Of course, then Jaune had returned and despite the new outfit, nothing had changed. He hadn't set any new buildings on fire, but now he was threatening to burn people's possessions. At this point, as much as she wanted to give everyone a place to stay, she was beginning to question if Jaune's presence in the group was tenable.

She felt for Micah's plight and considered going after them, but really - Eric and Micah himself were already running to save his belongings. There was no reason for Wisperlee to become yet another player in the little fustercluck Jaune had created.

She rose and retrieved the bag of kitten food for Petra. "Here," she said. "I got it for Erin, but it looks like you can both use it." She didn't mention that Petra needed to share - Wisperlee assumed the other woman, as a mother of two, would know the concept.

Next, she prepared Cujo's food by mixing dog feed with some of the leftovers from dinner. Setting it down in front of the big Mastiff, she was happy to see that he dug in with gusto. That meant he was adapting, at least.

"I think I found a place to pick up a sidecar for Cujo," she said to the people still remaining downstairs. "If one of you could watch him for an hour or two, I could go pick it up."

“Yeah sure thing James.” Emily spoke as she finished her food as well. She sat for a couple of minutes in silence thinking about the farming. This country was a bit different than were she comes from and the certain pesticides have different names as well. Maybe Wisper could set up a file so she could research anything before the net actually goes down.

“Hey Wisperlee can you do me a favour. I need you to research for me the names of pesticides used in this country and with what sickness it is associated with? Where I come from things is a bit different and I think that could help us just a bit. Also can you search which crops should be planted in which season? I have a good knowledge of the basic stuff but others not so much.”

Edited by DragonSpirit009

Petra’s question about anyone having any existing medical problems got lost in the ether of the room, as Mak made his announcement about heading for Oakington.

His proposal sounded sensibly and well thought out, and she reasoned, there was absolutely nothing to keep here tied to this location any more, so she found herself nodding her agreement.

The entrance of Jaune, after a double take she did realise it was Jaune but dressed completely differently, broke her musings about what Oakington may hold in store for them.

She agreed that it would probably be prudent for them to obtain some addition transport, but discounted Erin’s suggestion of using a large van and trailer; with everyone disappearing it was probably that the motorways would be strewn with abandoned or crashed lorries and cars, who know what they could face so it would be better, she thought, to have small manoeuvrable vehicles, preferably once that could go off road if required. From her walk about the village earlier Petra know that there were several such 4 x 4 type cars available.

She was fiddling with the label of the cider bottle when she was called back to the group’s conversation by what Micah was saying. She had completely missed the arrival of the mother cat, but everything that Micah said regarding the kittens and their mother made perfect sense. Of course the kittens would be better off with her, for the various reasons that Micah had pointed out, and although her common sense told her that leaving the cats would be the best thing for them, it still didn’t stop a wave of sadness and loss from crashing over her.

James announced that he was off to get some sleep and then suddenly the room was a flurry of activity, with Jaune, Micah, Erin and James all off running up the stairs. Petra just felt weary of it all, and in order to try and fight off sinking into despair she decided that she should keep herself busy, and so began clearing the plates of those who had finished eating, clearing up the food and packing any that she thought could be used the following day, but not before Wisperlee had sorted out some leftovers for Cujo and Nougat.

Petra thanked Wisperlee for the kitten food, looking over to Erin’s kitten as it tussled with one of its siblings. “I’ll keep an eye on Cujo while you go and look for your sidecar.”

"Thanks, Petra," Wisperlee said as she rose. "I think Cujo was a family guard dog - Bulls Mastiffs are popular for that - so he should be both sociable and well-trained. I think." She added that latter because, really, she'd only had the dog for half a day.

Next she turned to Emily. "Sure, I want to get the sidecar while it's still light, but I'll set up a database when I come back." Admittedly, some people had disappeared during the day, but she'd still feel better in the presence of others before dark. Besides, she suspected that the database they needed already existed somewhere on the net - maybe with the Department of Agriculture - and all they needed to do was get into it and make it available offline. Speaking of which ...

"If anyone else wants a database made available after the net goes down, make a list for when I get back. I'll try to download the national toxins and poisons database at least. They need to be at least a little concise - I can't download the entire internet." She made a mental note to find a computer store and pick up some external hard drives to save all the stuff they'd be needing.

Edited by Mistress of Whispers

Looking over at Cujo Petra didn’t doubt that should he feel inclined the dog could cause some serious injury, but at the moment he looked like butter wouldn’t melt in his mouth, while he nosed at the empty bowl, and then looked up at them with a hopefully expression.

The thought of Wisperlee venturing out alone caused Petra to frown with worry. While Wisperlee looked to be a very capably kind of person - what with ‘everything’ that had happened recently the thought of one of them venturing off too far alone made her feel very uncomfortable.

“Urm perhaps you could take Emily or someone else with you? I could keep an eye on both of the dogs, and you may need an extra pair of hands when fitting the sidecar” she suggested quietly, while hoping that she hadn’t cause any offence.

Wisperlee didn't have to think long about Petra's suggestion. Just like she didn't want to be out after dark, she'd rather not be alone.

"I'd appreciate that, actually," she said. "So if anyone wants to come?" She posed the question to Emily mostly, as she made good company, but she wouldn't mind one of the others coming along either. Maybe she should take Erin? The others might appreciate it if she kept her apart from Jaune for a while.

((Basically Wisperlee is fine with anyone except Jaune coming along. So whoever is interested, is free to (over)hear the invite and jump in smile.gif.))

Edited by Mistress of Whispers

"Yeah, I guess I'll tag along" Erin agreed, reluctantly so due to the prospect of leaving Micah alone with Juane, "Like I said, I found something you'll probably wanna get a hold of."

"I'll be around to keep an eye on things anyway," Mak piped up as Wisperlee discussed going out for a drive. He didn't specify if he was refering to the animals or the people, and didn't want to admit to himself which of the two were more likely to cause him heartache at this point. "And I'll help Petra tidying up as well," he added with a smile to their resident mother.

“I’ll stay here as well. I’ll help out with sorting out sleep arrangements and so on.” Emily spoke as she patted Nougat on her head. Oddly she felt just a tired even though it’s not even that late. Emily then stood up from her seat and took her empty plate to the kitchen and placed it in the sink. She then returned heading towards all the animal food was.

Taking the extra bowl she scooped two cups of dog pellets into the bowl and placed it on the floor for Nougat to eat. “Good girl.” She spoke stroking the dogs head as she started to eat.

((I kinda don’t know if anyone else set out food for Nougat but in any case this will have to do.))

((GM: Unless people want to play out a little longer, I was considering skipping to the next day by the end of this week. -KM))

Rage ran through Micah as he heard what Jaune thought he might do with his sister's clothes. The ability to logically think briefly left him, and he was just about to strike the boy when James spoke. Hearing the other man's calm voice served to calm Micah down himself, and he smiled gratefully at James before heading into his own room, his earlier rage having dissipated. He was glad now that he hadn't given into his base nature and struck Jaune. The boy wasn't worth it, and as a Christian he always needed to provide an example for other people to follow, even if they didn't think they needed to do so.

It only took a minute for Micah to grab his old suitcase and leave his room, then quickly enter the one next to it, which was Esther's. He didn't need James to tell him to travel lightly; since airlines charged the traveler for more than one suitcase, Esther and Micah had put all their luggage in the same one to reduce costs. He noticed with a wave of somewhat guilty relief that Erin was nowhere in sight. While he had started to befriend the girl, the fact was that he had no idea how to handle her frequent mood swings, and Micah would rather keep his distance from her now if he could.

Micah quickly put Esther's clothes into the empty suitcase. He'd have to put his own clothes in there before tomorrow if they were going to go to another town, since he'd already mostly unpacked his old things, but that shouldn't be a problem. Once he'd put every bit of clothing he could think of into the suitcase, including socks and shoes, Micah went around looking for the other things Esther had brought and put them into the suitcase as well, such as her makeup, jewelry, and her Bible. It might not seem important but it meant the world to him now. Soon he had gotten everything he could think of and was ready to leave. As he went to close the suitcase, Micah noticed one drawer that he hadn't looked into - the one in which Esther and the other girls had put their underclothes. Anger filled Micah again as he thought of what Jaune had said earlier. No, there was no way he could bring those along. Those weren't for men to look at, even someone related by blood. He'd leave them here, where no one could see them.

Hefting the closed suitcase in his arm, Micah left the room that his sister and her friends had stayed in before. He felt a little bad that he couldn't take Esther's friends' things too, but he only had so much space. He probably couldn't fit everything into one suitcase anyway. As he neared the door, Micah listened to see if anyone was nearby. He had no idea where everyone had went since he'd gone into Esther's room but he sincerely hoped that no one was up here, especially Jaune. After being around his departed loved one's things, he didn't really want to deal with someone else right now. Those were his thoughts as Micah opened the door.

OOC: I'm fine with moving things to the next day. though I can't speak for the others. It doesn't seem as if anything is going on right now.

((Personally, I'm waiting for Wisperlee to post so Erin can show her that techie's basement.))

((I don't really have anything for Jaune to do so I'm fine for progressing time.

Also Avialae you keep having Micah refer to Jaune as boy, hes older than Micah biggrin.gif

Though I guess Micah wouldn't know that))

((It's because of how Jaune acts, to Micah he's so immature that he can't help but think of him as a boy, as well as the fact he probably doesn't look older than Micah, at least.))

After Erin had left and Micah had gone to pack James gave Juane a warning glance and then left the guy alone in the corridor.

There was another set of stairs at the end of the hallway. Curious James climbed up them and found what must have been the pub owner's private sitting room. There was a couch, a TV and a dartboard. James hadn't wanted to try and sleep in any of the beds on the floor below, not with the previous occupants having vanished like they did, but the couch looked okay.

Putting his stuff on the floor beside it James sat down, swung his legs up and lay back to try and get whatever sleep he could before the group moved on.

((I'm ready for a time skip.))

((Sorry for the delay - crazy busy work. Also timeskip at the end of this week is fine.))

Walking outside with Erin, Wisperlee took a moment to scrounge up the spare helmet from the bike's storage box.

"So what did you want to show me?" Then, without giving Erin an actual chance to reply, she continued: "Oh that reminds me - I got a bag of kitten food for Dingo since he's still so small. He'll have to share it with Petra's kittens though. Okay, I just needed to say that before I forgot. Now it's your turn."

Petra smiled at Mak and thanked him for his offer to help tidy up. She supposed that really there was no reason why they should tidy things away, but she couldn’t feel comfortable with leaving the pub in an untidy state.

She had located the dishwasher earlier so she set about rinsing the plates and cutlery that Mak brought through, and loading the machine up. There was some food left from the recent meal so she wrapped up and packed the food that she thought they could take with them tomorrow.

The left over vegetables and potatoes she crushed together and formed into burger shapes, and put them into the fridge to firm up, if people wanted they could be quickly fried tomorrow morning for breakfast. While putting the burgers into the fridge she noticed some sausages so she took them out with the intention of cooking them, once cooked they too cold be eaten cold tomorrow for breakfast, along with – perhaps some hard boiled eggs, Petra thought as her gaze fell on a try of eggs, it would be easier to transport the eggs hard boiled, and they would make for a handy snack.

The cooking all done and the kitchen tidied Petra wandered back out into the pub. There didn’t seem to be any noise coming from up stairs, so she supposed that James had managed to diffuse the trouble. Wearily Petra took a seat near Mack and Emily, to wait for Erin and Wisperlee’s return.

“So” she addressed the others with a tired smile “do you have any further ideas of the information we should ask Wisperlee to include on her databases?”

((Is fine with a time skip))

"The last house I searched had a ton of techie stuff in the basement along with the CB I grabbed" Erin explained, "I figured there was probably at least one thing in there you could make some use of. And thanks for the kitten food," she added, "it'll come in handy if and when wildlife gets scarce."

Helping with clearing and packing up, Mak set about emptying and sorting the longer-lasting dry foods that they had found in the kitchen and bar and made a start on packing them. Rather than have a series of carrier bags rolling around in their transport loosely he hunted around for a small, simple suitcase from the private residential area of the bar and returned to pack what he could in it. He doubted such food would be particularly sparse in their new, empty world, but it would mean they could travel and set up in whatever turned out to be their new headquarters the following day without the stress of foraging as well.

Joining Petra in the bar he got a round of drinks for the others and joined them, this time now having a simple glass of water to counteract the excessive soft drinks he'd already consumed. "Call me old-fashioned but I prefer books," he replied with a smile to the lady. "Cambridge has no end of libraries, and I'd rather not rely on us being able to rig generators in order to access important data. Maps, agricultural texts or electrical manuals...I'm sure we can locate them as required."