523ponygirl

The Hatchlings

Do you like this idea?  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[i was never shutting him down. What if I said that your character bursting into flames was unfair to the others, because they were afraid to touch him? Would that not be a form of control? He makes them afraid, then they cower, and boom, you have controlled them. Is it not the same? I will never contol actions. I can't do that. Manipulation is stealing memories, getting inside their head, twisting emotions, stuff like that. I never said control, that was you, jumping to conclusions. Now, this the end of this. You are aloud to have any power you signed up for. If you don't like the way I RP, you may leave. We will find someone else to RP in your spot. Pretty sure we could find someone real quick. Now, understand this. I will never make anyone's character do something they don't want to. The most will be having their mind messed with. Faen can always be as angry as he wants. The end.]

Shyann snarled, her sparks growing larger. 'You don't wanna fight me.' She whispered, eyes narrowed, tail lashing. The young female hatchling could inflict quite a bit of damage from a ways away because of her bolts of electricity. The female crouched down, a look of pure determination plastered on her face. Shyann and Faen were about the same size. She may be an inch or so bigger, being the breed she was, but that would make no difference. Shyann would never get close enough to touch him. Her plan was electric bolts from afar.

Arum turned to the electric hatchling, angry and ready to say that any arguing that they had been doing had been headed off by the shiny yellow hatchling, and that Shyann could...do something. He was picking through the words he knew to find something that would fit the vague derogatory thought in his head. He could not, so he settled for staring arrogantly and disdainfully at her while addressing the first thought. 'Kind of Stupid but Less Stupid than You and me arguing stopped by shiny yellow nice hatchling already. And why you in charge?'

Even as he projected that thought, he felt this odd sensation at the back of his mind. That yes, the hatchling with the lights was in charge. It was incredibly rude to have insulted Shyann, and Arum should apologize. His arrogant stare crumbled, being replaced with a confused half-apologetic half-scornful look. Arum found himself trying to sputter out an apology yet trying to stop at the same time.

Umbra quickly realized that she had nothing to say that would affect this conversation. These hatchlings were busy fighting and she couldn't do that. She had to be strong and improve herself for Kami's sake. She would get back to the grown-up if it took her life. That's what made the hatchling happy. The uncomfortable feeling of guilt for disobeying Shyann was overrun by her other loyalties. She slipped out of the cave silently while everyone else was yelling. The fog around her looked like the train of a dress, trailing behind slightly. She watched her paws as they took on the color of the grass below. She could see the blades as they flattened. Before long, she dissapeared in to the tall grass, nearing the rushing of a river.

Shyann quickly realized what she was doing, a stopped with horror. 'No!' She squeaked, bolting out of the cave, searing all connection from her as she got further away. They would realize what just happened in a moment. Once she could no longer feel their presence, the young hatchling flopped down beside a tree, scorching the grass and rocks around her.

Shyann shook her head, never wanting that to happen ever again. It felt as if he had mindless drones, ready to bow to her every whim. Shuddering, the young electric hatchling hoped they would not all hate her forever. When would she get to go back? Would they be angry? Faen would probably murder her. A rush of heat could be felt on her face when she thought of him. Half terror, and anger, and half admiration for being the one to take action when everyone else was sobbing on the floor.

Shyann decided the weather was too warm. 'I wonder if I can change the weather again!?' She thought to herself, and closed her eyes. The electric hatchling focoused on cold. Cold winds, and a light rain. Chasing every other thought from her brain was hard, and it was a while before she began to feel the light mist and chilled winds. They soothed her. Shyann, finally aloud to think in peace, began to sob. 'Again?! Ugh. Why must girls be so emotional?' Shyann did nothing though, and let her tears fall.

Edited by 523ponygirl

Chry watched in exasperation as the two hatchlings, Faen and a Electric named Shyann, bickered at each other. Always, always fighting. What was the point? She sat down on the ground with a sigh and glared angrily at a smooth gray pebble lying on the ground in the cave. To Chry's surprise, the small rock began to tremble, clattering against the stone floor. She gasped as the pebble moved from left to right, the same time her eyes shifted from the left to the right. Chry broke out of her trance and stared at her sharp claws in confusion. How did that happen? Did I do that? She put her powers back to work as she concentrated on something else, a fallen branch. She tried lifting it into the air, but with no luck. Maybe I need practice, she thought, and turned back to the pebble. When she tried, the rock did float in the air for a few seconds, until the strain screamed at Chry to place it back down. She turned around to the other hatchlings, wondering if they had witnessed her amazing feat. Edited by SpiritWolfe

Faen's anger was starting to wane as he continued to stare down the electric. Something was trying to calm him, he could feel it, but he didn't want to be calm, he wanted to be angry! How could anyone not be?

"Be leader then, I don't care, but don't expect me to follow you." He growled as he stalked out of the cave and walked away. He went a ways from the cave, over near the river before finally choosing a spot. He managed to concentrate hard enough to get fire to pour from his lips, and burnt a spot to a cinder before curling up on it. By this time, the flames on him had gone out, and he was instead feeling what the others were feeling, sad, betrayed, alone... It didn't take long for him to start to cry. Every tear that came from his eyes was wiped away, but eventually they were flowing so fast that he couldn't stop them all, nor could he conceal his sobbing.

Arum was bewildered. Why was everyone going out of the cave? First Shyann, then Faen, and where was that misty-looking hatchling? She must have left during the confrontation between the Red and Electric hatchling. Right now, he and Chry were the only two that he could see remaining in the cave. He wasn't sure whether or not to look for them or where they would even go. Maybe it was best to talk to the golden wyvern hatchling first and see what they could do. She seemed to be nice, anyways. And that weird feeling of needing to apologize to Shyann was gone.

The hellfire turned his body to face her, just in time for him to notice a pebble floating in the air and Chrys concentrating on it. He was intrigued. First the big hatchling with the lights made...lights and hmm. I think she made me feel weird and sad at calling her names too. And the angry hatchling can set himself on fire. Now this one can make little rock float. Arum wondered if he could do the same things as the others.

'How you do that? How you make little rock float?' Arum's tone was curious.

[shyann is an Electric, not a Thunder.]

Shyann didn't hear him, she had shielded her mind so that no one could talk to her, a common ability for dragons when they wanted to be left alone. The good thing about telepathically speaking to each other was that you could hear them better, and wind and other noises would not mess with the words. Telepathically speaking also had its limits, though. The words got fainter, and fainter, the further away you moved, until you could no longer hear.

Shyann, in sudden bursts of anger, shot lighting randomly, breaking off tree branches and splitting, or scorching, rocks. She growled to herself, stopping. 'Crap, it's cold now! I think I'd like something hot.' Shyann was treating her power like a play toy, buy hey, what else would help you improve with it? She pictured a hot wind, eyes scrunched tight. No rain. As if she had snapped her fingers, [if she had any,] it was so. Amazing. She settled down, basking in the warmth.

Chry shrugged at Arum, confused and bewildered. I-I'm not sure. I was just staring at that pebble for a second, and then it began to tremble. I tried moving it from side to side, up and down, and it worked. Chry blinked, bewildered. But I just don't know how I did it. Can you do something like that? She looked into Arum's eyes, searching for any signs of understanding. Faen is immune to fire and Shyann can control the weather. Chry's eyes strayed to the small rock again, and she began to shift it back and forth on the ground. Edited by SpiritWolfe

Umbra stopped at the river. It was long and wide, nothing that a hatchling would be able to cross. Even an adult dragon would struggle. Umbra would have to learn to fly before she could get back, but her wings hadn't grown in yet and she had no clue if they ever would. Most of the adults had wings, but what if she never grew any? That thought was terrifying. When the rain came, it stung her skin, adding to the hopelessness and rage. She yelled shrilly at the water and lashed out at it, getting herself even wetter from the contact. The river became cloudy and dark in the downpour, then like a soup around a good section of it. The rain suddenly stopped, leaving a sun baking the fog on the water. it felt like a swamp. The humidity was unbearable. However, the sun would quickly get rid of the concealment. It was likely that fog did form here in the mornings, but had evaporated by the time they had arrived. What should she do?

Arum shook his head. 'I don't think I can.' Then his eyes lit up with glee. 'But maybe I can do it. Maybe better?' He stared at another pebble intensely, trying to get it to budge. For several seconds he kept staring at the tiny rock. In none of those seconds had it ever moved. The hellfire hatchling gave up, rubbing his head with his wing to try clear the odd feeling it had from trying to move the rock. 'I can't do it. But do you think it bad that all the other hatchlings are just leaving? Should we look for them?' Something bad could happen in an unfamiliar place.

In all of her anger, Umbra hadn't heard the tiny voice of a nearby hatchling. She let out a sigh and then breathed in deeply, feeling instant releif. For now she could do nothing. It would be best for her to spend time remedying the others instead of flaunting her pent up emotions. She continued the calming process and her mess lightened to at least less than a soup and continued evaporating. She approached the tiny voice. It appeared to be the red hatchling when she stuck her head through the grass. She was immediately unsure about this. "You shouldn't cry." she said dryly. "There's no use. You'll just have to get stronger so that you can fly back to the cave some day."

Shyann lifted her head, a fuzzy, soft voice coming into her head. Something about crying? Who was crying?! Shyann stood up, and followed the sound. It was Umbra, and... wait, no, this can't be right... Faen?!? She crept up behind Umbra, peering down at Faen. 'I'm sorry.' That was all threw as simply needed. Shyann sat down with a soft thump, a slight apologetic smile on her face.

Faen looked up as Shyann and Umbra appeared from the bushes. He immediately wiped his eyes and cleared his throat. "I wasn't crying." He said, trying to sound angry or tough again, but failing miserably. "I was just getting warm in this spot of grass and I... Laid on something that hurt. That was all." He tried to glare at them both, but the red from his tears could easily be seen around his yellow eyes.

Umbra laid down beside him and nudged at his cheek where there was still some wetness. Faen wasn't so intimidating anymore. He just looked sad and lonely. "It's alright. We'll figure something out. I promise." The fact that Shyann was here too didn't bother her, though these two were the ones fighting. It would be fine as long as no one was too upset. Again, the was facinated by the fact that she had changed color. She was part red, part green and yellow. She watched Faen to make sure he didn't run away or cry again. "Are you hungry? I bet there's meat somewhere." she said, oblivious to the fact that meat came from hunting and that hunting was probably the most diffucult thing yet in her life.

The corners of Chry's mouth twitched into a smile at Arum's failed attempts to move the small rock. Its okay, you can probably do something amazing too! she reassured Hellfire hatchling with a gentle nudge. And yes, let's go out there. We don't want to be left alone if they leave... Chry scrambled out of the cave, glancing back to see if Arum was following her. She was surprised and dismayed to see the redness around Faen's eyes. He had been crying, and he was struggling in vain to conceal it. Chry was glad when Umbra settled down beside the Red to comfort him. She shuffled over to Shyann. What happened now? she thought darkly to the Lightning, who seemed to be apologizing.

"I'm not sad or crying! I'm just getting warm!" He said, raising his voice slightly. "I already said I was going to get back at Thisnan, and I am!" He glared around him before finally sitting with a thump, his gaze downcast. "He didn't even say goodbye. He just left. I knew something was wrong on the way here. He wouldn't talk, or play a game or tell me a story. He just flew." Faen said, focusing again and breathing fire onto the spot where he sat, warming himself.

Arum followed after the Golden Wyvern and was also surprised to see the most of the other hatchlings around Faen, who appeared to be crying and getting mad at the same time. Was this hatchling perpetually angry? Then again, they had been dumped here by the adults without any idea why. It was easy to be angry. But every time he tried to blame Isti for this, he just couldn't. It was obvious that Isti didn't want to abandon him;it was probably the same for the Thisnan dragon that Faen was raging at. 'I don't think he wanted to do it. Isti didn't want to.' Then suddenly, the hatchling had a question. 'I don't know why they do it though, don't ask me. Maybe someone make them do it?'

Edited by Durppie

Umbra laid her head down when Faen spoke, avoiding the flames he was using to warm the ground. She was tired, but now was not the time for a nap. She supressed a yawn and blinked away sleepy tears. No. She ordered herself, concentrating on the other hatchlings to keep herself awake. It was as good as impossible not to feel at least a little tired. "Faen doesn't wast to talk about it." she held back another yawn. "We should all go back to the cave, then we can sleep and eat and talk if we want. We won't get all wet in there either."

Shyann shifted, a slow smile spread across her lips. 'Wait, hold on a sec. We all have some powers, correct?' She cast an apologetic look at Arum before adding, 'Or we all will have powers, right? So why not use them to hunt! I could stir up a small wind, and zap something down. Chry? Faen? Umbra? Arum? You have anything?' She grinned, standing up. Shyann pulled Arum to his feet, and then ran towards the cave. 'LAST ONE THERE IS A ROTTEN EGG!' She laughed, wishing she had wings so that she could fly there.

Faen shrugged and looked at the little hatchling that he had gotten angry at before. It was being kind to him now, which was odd considering what he had said and did. When everyone said they should go back to the cave, he stood and began to walk in that direction, watching Shyann run back. How could she be so happy and content? They had been abandoned by their friends, left in the middle of nowhere with no help, no skills, and no idea how to get home. Not the best position at any time.

Shyann bounced back from tragedy quickly, and was never sad long. Although if she got angry, she was not, and I say not, easy to talk out of it. Yet at her young age, that had not completely set in yet, and she was happy-go-lucky. She didn't yet hold grudges for long, as children are quick to forgive. Shyann would grow up to be quiet, powerful, and somewhat reserved, yet always loving a good laugh or game. She would be a great fighter, always using her head, not running blindly into battle. She was smart, yet not so brave around heights, which was weird for a dragon. She hated heights. Hated them! It was not being up high that bothered her, it was the prospect of falling from up high. Once her wings grew in, though, that fear would fade.

Shyann bolted faster, her legs pumping on the hard ground. The sparks that encircled her lessened as she ran faster, the wind blowing on them. She had this soft radiant glow as her smile broadened. She could sense slight confusion, yet joy at being caught up in the moment of racing. Her mind-manipulating powers were coming into play ever so slightly as she was able to sense other's emotions. She was absolutely horrified at the fact she had made the other hatchlings into mindless drones, and was determined not to do it again, but hey, who can resist mind-reading? That wasn't so horrible, right?

Edited by 523ponygirl

Umbra followed slowly behind, wondering how this hatchling knew her name. It was a first. No one ever seemed to remember her name and she had not even said it. Of course, it wasn't a problem if they did. Actually, it would be better for her if she was a little more noticed, if not noticeable. Umbra gave up looking at the things distorted through her skin and walked slowly, tiredly to the cave, not bothering with the game. She wasn't usually up for games unless she knew the dragon personally. Well... They were getting there. She collapsed against a patch of weeds in the cave and closed her eyes, tucking her legs up to her chest and breathing slowly, her chest rising ever so softly before collapsing back.

When Faen got to the cave, he went off to the side where a little overhang of rock made a cave within a cave. It wasn't very deep, more of a divot really, but it made him feel safe. Before laying in it, Faen focused again and breathed fire against the stone there, marking it for his own, as well as making it warm for himself. He flopped into the spot where a few small patches of fire still sparked and rested his head on his forelegs, watching the others move around and talk. His eyes lingered on Shyan for a moment before continuing to explore what the others were doing.