Ruins

Neverending Nightmare

He was staring. He was staring this meant that he wasn't trying to recognize her, just size her up or something. Then he asked her not to blow up the party. A whole side of her face twitched when he mentioned it, but she didn't say anything. "I'll try not to sir." She replied, breathing a sigh of relief. He didn't know about the fruit bats at least. One thing at a time she supposed. At least he didn't say anything about her 'student of the princess' status. She might have died on the spot. "And you... try not to kill anypony?" That was terrible joke! She was never very good at jokes and conversation. Then again, she heard that the mayor wasn't very good at it either.

She went inside, hoping that she wouldn't cause a mess of things.

A week after the delivery

Letterform strode down the grand staircase of his home, decked out in a new outfit for the Summer Sun Celebration. His usual black suit and red ascot combination was very sharp, but it wouldn't do to wear your usual attire. Instead, the stallion wore a tailor made silk tuxedo vest. It was black like his normal suit, with a wide satin lapel, tails and three shiny silver buttons going down from the lapel in a vertical line. The white cuffs of the suit exposed his hooves and were also fastened with a silver button each. A black long tie with curling, sea-green loops embroidered on the fabric was affixed below his head. He had mused over whether or not this was too similar to his normal dress, but right now it was of no consequence. If he wanted to make it to the party in time, Letterform had to go now.

Even if seeing Princess Nightmare Moon in the flesh was barely tolerable at best, Letterform comforted himself with the idea of champagne as he said good-bye to Pumpernickel and walked down the long path away from his home. Many of the servants were off to indulge themselves in Summer Sun Celebration festivities. A good amount of them would probably end up drinking themselves silly, but who didn't? Though personally, the stallion tried to avoid imbibing too much. A drunk stallion made a lot more stupid decisions than a sober one. Who knew if some of the nobles present at the party would try to exploit this?

As he arrived to the party, he could see an indigo pony briefly chat with Night Haunter and go inside. Hmm, that shade of indigo is familiar. The unicorn couldn't place where he had seen that hue at the moment, so he turned his attention to the Mayor. The bat-pony looked impressively dashing. Combined with Night Haunter's intimidating aura, the Mayor of Neighstrasmo looked like a king. Taking out his invitation from the satchel he carried with him, he advanced towards the steps. "You look quite impressive. Scarcity Belle's exquisite hoofwork?" Letterform said with a nod.

"I can make no promises." the Mayor had muttered at the unicorn's back before turning his attention back to the handful of guests filing through the wide doorway, just in time to catch Letterform's arrival. Though the bodyguards at his side narrowed their eyes in distaste at the sight of the sharp-penned pony, Night Haunter couldn't stop a small and rather wicked smile from flashing across his muzzle, almost like that of a small child who sees trouble in the future and looks forward to it with glee. He was keen follower of the unicorn's social commentaries, ever since his infamously scathing critique of his predecessor. Night Haunter had no love for most of the upper-class ponies, so it amused him a great deal to see their overblown egos and bloated lies pierced with a poniard of truth; many of the unicorn's victims had come to the Mayor to ask that Letterform be arrested or otherwise... dealt with, but he had always refused the requests and sent the inquirer away with his scornful laugh ringing in their ears. Or just plain boxed their ears. In a way he felt they had something in common, with Letterform doing to corruption and crime with his words what Night Haunter did with his hooves and teeth.

"Mr Letterform. I am honestly glad you could make it... It seems tonight won't be as bone-numbing tedious as I had imagined." Night Haunter took the invitation from the other stallion and made only a token inspection of it before handing it back. He didn't really care if it was his or even real; he probably would have let him in even if it were written in bright red crayon on the back of a sandwich packet. "Thank you kindly. And Miss Belle's work? It was indeed... You might see her later tonight- I realised I lacked a partner for tonight and since someone overlooked Miss Belle when handing out the invites I thought I might rectify the situation." And besides, between Letterform, the writer with the wasp's sting, and Miss Belle, the slum pony made good, I imagine there will be a lot of ruffled noble feathers... Perhaps I will see some fun tonight.

Vocal Glory trotted up to the Mayor's Palace, her partner Autumn Strings was following her. Autumn String's fur was a beautiful chocolate-brown, and her hair was a blend of different shades of orange. Miss Strings wasn't an upper-class pony, but she would be allowed entrance with presentation of her performer's note. Of course she would be expected to leave immediately after the time on her card expired or she'd be thrown out. Since Strings was no upper class pony she worn only a white bow-tie, she looked quite plain compared to Vocal Glory. Vocal Glory was one of those ponies who went all out at social events. She wore a most magnificent cape, it was the color of a coral rose, and the end of the cape had two layers beneath the main build. Holding the cape around her neck was a white topaz amulet, the topaz was a perfect diamond shape and what looked like silver butterfly wings reached out from behind it. Coming out of the amulet was a white ribbon which looped around Vocal's back. Glory wore white/pink metal shoes, which had white fabric vines and leaves wrapping around her legs. Part of her hair was wrapped in a bun, but most of it was free to whoosh this way and that. Glory was a classic upper class pony, adding too many details and enjoying every moment of her temporary beauty. Since Vocal Glory is a performance pony, many might wonder how she can afford her upper class life. Truth is her father, Major Glory, sends her money. Major Glory is a soldier for Nightmare Moon working in another city, sending money and the occasional letter is all he can do for her. Vocal Glory was raised by relatives, whom she didn't enjoy at all, which was why she moved out on her own at such a young age.

Vocal Glory spotted Night Haunter immediately, everypony could recognize this important figure-head. He looked very regal tonight, unlike his normal appearance, his ribs were hidden under his clothes, and his face didn't look so sleep deprived. Night Haunter was a very intimidating stallion, Glory was half tempted to turn around and avoid his gaze. But Glory was looking forward to this and wouldn't be swayed by this beautiful example of authority, she had deadlines to keep. Don't forget to smile. Vocal pulled out her invitation and performer's note and presented them to Night Haunter, Autumn Strings showed him her performer's note.

"Evening Mr. Mayor."

Edited by CaptainCute

Psychosis Sonority had gotten quite sidetracked on her way to Mayor Night Haunter's palace. She had somehow managed to convince herself to take her attire out on a test drive, which was for the best. Psychosis needed to look just as chic after her routine as before it, for appearances sake. If Psychosis looked ragged and worn out after her magic/air show, it would look bad for her in the eyes of the critics. Psychosis looked at herself through a window of a passing house, she looked fine. If anything, this was a good time to retrieve her invitation, which she had hidden in her gown. She carefully folded the paper under her wings, like she usually did with everything.

Psychosis's hoof tapped softly on The Mayor's home, a servant immediately allowing her in. She nodded appreciatively at the servant she recognized as Knobbs, a chestnut brown earth pony with golden hair. Psychosis cracked a soft smile.

"Nice to see you again Knobbs, did my harp arrive here safely?"

"Yes Miss Son."

Psychosis's bound burgandy tail swished delightedly, her posession was safe.

"Thank you Knobbs."

The lad nodded, heading back to his work. Psychosis glanced around at the frivilous beauty of The Mayor's palace, the first time she gazed upon it's design, she had felt somewhat overwhelmed. This room was saturated with expensive decor, and yet they had dared to deem something as common and as glorious as the night sky upon it's ceiling. The ceiling gave the illusion of the sky's expansion, but it wasn't; she was trapped between for walls, the likeness of her sky mocking her. Psychosis sighed, putting such thoughts behind her. She waited patiently to greet Night Haunter and present her invitation, her instrument was waiting for her to inspect and do a quick tune up before it was too late.

Sea began to respond to Glory, but she seemed to just zoom out the door right after she responded. While she'd hoped to see Glory before the performance, she knew it would all be fine. She'd see her during and after it, and that was probably enough to last her until she got to the party. Sea slipped on her dress and pushed through the door, then began her way to the party at the Mayor's Palace. Maybe she'd be late and wouldn't have to attend the boring bits of the Festival... Ah, but that was simply wishful thinking, wasn't it? If she missed a bit of the Festival, Glory would be upset with her, especially if it happened to be the bit she was performing at. Who was it she was performing with this time, again? She knew it was some talented violinist, but Sea tended to forget names. Names seemed to blend together to her. Wait... What was the Mayor's name? Mayor Autumn Night? No, no, no, that couldn't be right. It was something creepy, if she remembered right. Night Haunter? Yes, that was it! That was the name! She gave a sigh of relief as her short moment of panic ended. If she ended up going and not remembering the Mayor's name, she would likely just die of embarrassment.

Once at the steps, Sea retrieved her invitation from under one of the front straps of her dress and waited for the Mayor to greet her so she could show the invite and head in.

"Ah. I see. Have a nice night, Mayor." Letterform bowed lightly, something he rarely did. Night Haunter was one of the few ponies that the unicorn genuinely respected, even if he wasn't the most mentally sound and killed other ponies. But you couldn't justly deny that the bat pony was looking out for Neighstrasmo's best interests. There were also rumors that the Mayor liked Letterform's writing, which could be possible. As he took his invitation back, the stallion couldn't help but wonder if the Mayor had a hoof in his pardon. He decided it would be best to get inside and perhaps rile a few members of the upper crust up with his presence before the guards glaring at him satisfied their desire to do him bodily harm. The beige pony walked inside with dignity, looking over the inside of the mayoral palace.

Hmm. Very few friendly faces, quite a bit of hostile ones. But that was to be expected. Hopefully any fighting between himself and another pony would be strictly verbal. Most of the time it was, but there had been that tussle between Jet-Set and another pony over some trivial matter. I've a good amount of fountain pens and things to use if it comes down to hoof-to-hoof combat.

After Letterform bowed and left Night Haunter looked back at the line of ponies waiting for him to validate their invitations, realising with faint alarm that he had attracted quite a crowd. Maybe I should have had a servant do this... The feeling of so many expectant, attentive eyes on him sent a shiver of nervousness down his spine and straight into his stomach, one hoof shuffling before he clamped down on his feelings and put his calm face firmly back on. He had a job to do, one of many to come in the evening ahead, so he couldn't chicken out now. Taking a breath through his nostrils, he went through the rest of the newcomers with polite efficiency, mentally noting names and faces as he did so.

Vocal Glory, the musician. Autumn Strings... No invitation, but with the band.

"The door to the gallery where you will be performing is just there, Miss Glory, Miss Strings. Good luck." he said to the pair, gesturing at the small door tucked between the stairs and the entrance to the Dining Hall; it lead to a smaller and rather cramped staircase and then to a balcony that ringed the entire Hall. The musician's gallery itself was opposite the door, directly behind and above where he would be sitting at the end of the table.

Psychosis Sonority, the guard's daughter. May have mental issues. Watch her.

Sea Cloud. Lives with the musician, I believe? Not a threat, but- Aha. My date has arrived.

Just as he had been returning Sea Cloud's invitation to her, Scarcity Belle had descended the great staircase behind him in a cloud of glitter and perfume. She was wearing an elegant, light purple silk gown which complemented her mane, decorated with looping yellow ribbons and bows, sparkling with tiny amethysts; the skirt covered her entire flank and trailed on the floor, while the top had a high collar of dark purple and matching ruffles on the end of her sleeves. On her head she wore a simple golden tiara set with purple gems.

Smiling with obvious excitement, she went to Night Haunter's side, who gave her his best smile in return. It made him look rather shark-like, but it was obvious he was trying. "Miss Belle. You look like royalty itself." he said, taking her extended hoof and bowing his head slightly so that his mane just brushed it- he didn't kiss, he wasn't that sociable.

"Why thank you, my dear. You look like a king yourself." she replied with a genuine laugh, tapping the end of his muzzle lightly; it may have been a trick of the light, but it could be said that the Mayor's cheeks coloured a little.

Recovering quickly, he swept a hoof towards the Dining Hall. "Shall we go in? ...Adamant, Westwood, take care of any more arrivals and send the rest of the performers on their way."

"Lead on, Lord Mayor."

Edited by Ruins

"Gaaahh!" Moon Blitz grumbled as he watched the line of upper class ponies enter the Mayor's Palace. There was no way he'd be able to sneak into the building with all that security. Luckily he'd have another chance to crash that high society scene when they moved to the park. Security will have a harder time keeping trouble like me out, they'll probably have a force field around the park. It'll be easily enough to bypass their security if I look buddy buddy with another high-class pony. I'll try to find a mare who needs company, turn on the Moon Blitz charm, and I'll get in. Moon Blitz was wearing his cape tonight, it was torn from use, but with the money LetterForm gave him he was able to fix it up like new. Some mare named Scarcity fixed it up nice, needless to say he was quite rude to the skilled tailor. Of course he could've bought a new cape, but this was his fathers, he wasn't about to part with it. Moon Blitz begrudgingly walked up to one of the street meals the un-privileged ponies got to feast at. A problem with these feasting is sometimes ponies would carry food to their homes and come back for more. So they had guards making sure ponies didn't try to carry food home with them until the end of the festival. That didn't work too well, most guards got too drunk to do their duties once enough time passed. Blitz faded into the crowd of celebrating ponies, the entertainment here was weak, but it was enough to keep ponies smiling. Moon found his old group of trouble makers slamming some beers and feasting on fruit. Well it seems the gangs all here. We have WildRide the earthpony, my favorite racing companion, too bad he's busy working in the mines. RedPolish the unicorn, I'd mock his name, he'd mock my hair, not sure what he is doing. Last but not least, the only girl in our group, Pixie Peach the pegasus, bloody spitfire of a lady. Works the family business selling peaches, but she's the only pegasus in her family. I think she and WildRide are dating, about time.

"Why if it isn't my favorite group of rebel rousers, mind if I grab a seat?" I am going to get so drunk.

Twilight was happy about the quiet. It gave her time to escape, to hide away from the other ponies for a while. She took some food, sat down somewhere alone, and waited. Naturally ponies wanted to talk to her at first, but if she just remained very, very boring, they would ignore her and move on to someone more interesting. Provided she could keep it all together of course. That was the key thing to do. Not go insane and remain calm. She did this every other year and could do it this year. She just had to keep calm... it's a four letter word, calm. Like love and hate, four letter words. Oh, she was getting off topic again. She hated when her mind wandered around without her. It was irritating, no, vexing.

Psychosis gave Night Haunter a polite bow, she didn't have the desire to lolligag in small talk with him. She entered the Main Hall (?), a wavering trace of fresh woodchips lingered in the air. Psychosis knew she probably didn't know anyone in this room personally, she knew most of their names, but that meant nothing. So Psychosis didn't bother with investigating the ponies around her, but she did give a quick glance to see if a certain Miss AppleJack and her brother Big Macinposhtosh, had arrived yet, or if they're arriving at all. The apple family was just a bit older than yours, if not more numerous than her family; since her family has fought and died for Nightmare Moon since she decided she wanted to expand. The Apple Family though, if they hadn't found a way to work around night eternal and create the factories that help create the food, a lot more ponies would have died. Psychosis had an abundant respect for the Apple Family, even if it was only for their ancestors. Psychosis was glad for the Apple Family, healthy earth ponies were hard to find in this poverty.

Psychosis flew silently up to her harp in the preformers section, which probably sent a few gawking looks her way. Ponies that got invited to the dinner in the mayor's house usually didn't preform. Well that was too bad, you wanted to be recognized by skill instead of class. Ha, and yet you still want to be classy on a fabricated level. Really quite drab if anything. You cannot help but run your fingers across your harp, the magnificant sounds you'll drain from it during the middle of the Mayor's dinner. Psychosis glided down from the entertainers balcony, landing gracefully, if not silently all together. Her demeanor dripped of elegance as she strode about the table, searching for her designated seating. She had no reason to mingle. Psychosis sat down with her hind legs directly under her, every pony had a different way of sitting this was hers. She was confident in her ability to jump across this table in the event she felt like she was going to be attacked by behind. Of course this would result in her using the ponies across from her as blockcades to any ranged attacks. Being short does have some perks. Now don't waver in that stoic face in yours, stay calm, you can handle yourself in a fight with any of these ponies, even Night Haunter. Your more disciplined than most ponies, you don't have the physical decrepit nature his past has worn into him. Though he has more experience, but in the end you two don't even have a reason to fight. Personally we didn't know the members of the family's of his victims. Nope, not a one. Focus on the party and don't look too suspicious.

Letterform took a seat at the end of one of the tables, noting with a detached amusement that other ponies around him quickly scooted away and glared at him. Barely concealed whispers of "Well, here's the lower-class lover!" and "If it isn't that vile unicorn! Ugh!" and the such reverberated across the table. He simply smiled. He had gotten used to being insulted daily in person or through other means like mail. Speaking of mail, Letterform had received some more death threats and one vulgar letter that made him chuckle just by thinking of it. Of course, the death threats were less amusing to think about. It was unlikely that his enemies would kill him in the middle of the Summer Sun Celebration, as a certain bat pony would be on the lookout for trouble. But sometimes he found himself stiffening and looking around for potential assassins whenever he opened yet another letter ordering him to cease writing or cease to live.

He watched as Psychosis flew up to her place in the performer's section. It was odd to see. Why was a clearly high-class pony performing? And why was she familiar? With a start, he realized that this was the mare that he had seen at the park. The pegasus that had taken the book. He wanted to talk to her and make sure that she hadn't done anything stupid with the tome. But Letterform knew that it would look rather odd if he were to do so. And besides, there was a giant crowd of ponies. By the time the stallion ever got there, the mare would likely already be playing that harp of hers. Teleportation was an attractive thought, but there were more and more of the upper crust frolicking about. If just one were to move into the spot he was teleporting to, the spell could fail in a horrific way. In fact, teleportation could fail regardless of this. The writer resigned to talk to Psychosis at a later time.

Letterform glanced around, bored. Was there anyone he could talk to that wouldn't launch insults at him? Verbal sparring was fun, but even he wanted at least one non-hostile conversation. As he looked around, he saw another familiar face: the indigo mare with the mental issues. After much deliberation, he decided to slowly make his way over to her. Judging from what had happened in Ponyhide Park last week, he would need to be extremely cautious.

Night Haunter trotted into the Hall at Scarcity's side, his gait a purposeful but dignified stride while she seemed to glide along under her cloud of purple silk; he had his characteristic serious look on while she smiled happily and nodded a happy greeting at any pony in the crowd she recognised. Neither seemed to notice or care that some of the guests were whispering behind their hooves at each other, wondering why the Mayor would choose someone like her- a pony born and raised in the slums- to take to a ball like this, an event that was supposed to be the height of refinement and class. It was bad enough, they said that he had invited that horrible pony Letterform, but to arrive on the arm of a jumped-up pauper was really the last straw. When was the Princess going to do something about him, for the Moon's sake?

Inside himself, Night Haunter was trying not to smile, not regretting his choice of partner or guest in the least. So what that the upper-class ponies were buzzing like a kicked nest of hornets? It did them good to be reminded who was in charge- that he could do whatever he wanted, it was his authority as Mayor and they couldn't do anything about it. Half of them elected me to this position, anyway. They thought they could control me, that I was some illiterate, brainless street thug they could put on a leash and use as their personal attack dog. I proved them wrong very quickly, didn't I?

He became aware that Scarcity had tugged subtly on his cloak: she wanted to talk. "Yes, Miss Belle?"

"My dear, I see a good friend of mine, may I?"

"Oh, of course. I will take my seat, feel free to come back in a few minutes or...?" He shrugged, not knowing if this was the proper etiquette for grand meals. It probably didn't matter, anyway.

After Scarcity had wended her graceful way into the crowd, chatting and making small talk to anyone and everyone as she did so, Night Haunter found himself at a loose end. Looking around, he found that Letterform was not that far way; within a few paces he was next to the writer, noting as he did the unconscious tenseness in the unicorn's muscles. He feared for his life, even here. How curious. "Don't worry. I'm more than a match for most assassins in the city, and they wouldn't dare strike somewhere so crowded. Of course, if you think you'll be poisoned, don't eat..." he said bluntly, ignoring the odd glances nearby ponies were giving him. He was always honest, and always blunt.

Meanwhile, Scarcity smiled at one of the performers, the young pegasus mare who'd flown down from the box.

[Okay. I'm kinda tired and drained. So I dunno if it'll be long enough or not...]

Twilight, sitting in the corner didn't see the pegasus climb to the stage, and it didn't help that she wasn't looking to watch the performance. She just wanted to stay out of the whole thing. She watched the crowd, bustling around and talking. The indigo mare was content to remain in the corner and away from any and all interaction. She didn't even understand some of the tensions in the room. Petty arguments, class warfare, were all easy. However, the ones started at the drop of hat were often confusing. She couldn't say she was any better about that. Especially with other ponies.

Then she noticed a pony coming towards her. The one who had pushed her own book at her and forced her to panic and confuse it with a different book. Okay. She had to remain calm, because he might know where the book is now. Hopefully he hadn't read it. Or maybe he had -and oh Celestia,

He was Letterform.

Miss Sonority bore an essence of regal demeanor, despite the fact she probably looked silly being alone at a social event. Thinking back, she probably should have worn some kind of armor to this party, but if something went wrong she'd be the first target; a lineage of protecting this country and dying for its causes be damned. People will point fingers at what they fear, but even moreso what they don't fear enough. Psychosis reviewed her schedule, she'd begin playing her harp sometime after she had eaten a bit, which for the others would be during the meal. She'd catch up on fueling up on food during the dancing, no one with regards for reputation would dance with a mysterious mare who bothers to serve by preforming when she herself should be entertained as a pony of the upper class. Psychosis had to let them know she wasn't some impudent preformance pony, preforming first then joining the party would look bad for her, people would be raving on Night Haunter's ability to seperate the classes.

Let it be known that- that... Psychosis noticed a glint from the corner of her eye, her gaze immediately went to it. A glint of light could be anything, a lanturn, teeth, a knife... Her eyes were greeted by the form of a lovely unicorn mare, smiling at her. Psychosis made her expression gentle, smiling tenderly back with a hint of mischief engraved there for anyone looking for it. The idea of a pony approving of her indifference to the others were nice. Though she looked familiar, or at least the dress did. Yes, that dress was the design of none other than Scarcity Belle. So perhaps by definition this white unicorn had a fancy for odd things.

"Yes, thank you Mayor. Good to know..." How the hay did that pony know he was frightened? Perhaps it was just a guess on Night Haunter's part? It was good to know that he was indeed safe in the Palace, though. His poise relaxed unconsciously as the stallion continued to slowly and gingerly approach Twilight. I should probably give her a fair bit of space, who knows what may happen? Letterform stopped just three feet away from the mare, wondering what he should say that would not cause Twilight to freak out and make a scene. Should he address the book? No, there were too many ponies around and that alone could trigger a panic in the indigo mare. A unicorn who desperately believed her life was in danger would be likely to have less control over what magic she used. And speaking of dangerous panic induced magic, wasn't there those incidents in Canterlot and one in one of the past Summer Sun Celebrations?

"I'm truly glad that you are unharmed and able to attend the ball, miss." Like he did before to the Mayor, he bowed. It was a polite thing to do, and perhaps if the writer showed some respect it would make her less wary. Or it could do the exact opposite. But it was worth a try.

Edited by Durppie

He was coming closer. Holy Luna he was coming closer. She couldn't run away, she would be in the crowd. Her ears flattened, somewhat worried about what this pony was going to do. He could mean to fling her around with his magic. Just like her classmates... Then he said something, In her fear, Twilight nearly missed it. She stood there for a moment then realized what he said. He was lying, They always tainted their honeyed words with poison. However, she'd accept the compliment and move on. If she panicked now, they would be looking at her. All eyes on her... "You know you checked out a book and never returned it right?" She snapped. She was referring to the Elements of Harmony book, but to an onlooker, she was just a librarian looking for a book returned. "It's a rare copy, and I'd like it back." Why had she picked this corner, now she was boxed in and trapped. She couldn't run away from him here. She would just have to wait it out. Hopefully this encounter would be short and she could get some food afterward. She figured Letterform extremely selfish, and rude.

Vocal Glory and Autumn Strings followed Night Haunter's instructions and found themselves among many other musicians. Vocal admired the view from the musician's box and curiously took in her surroundings. Vocal spotted Sea Cloud and planned the route she'd take to the table after her performance. This is going to be the best night ever. This was her first time performing in the Mayor's Palace, and Vocal was very nervous. Vocal recognized some musicians and sought friendly encouragement, they reassured each other that they'd do great and words of good luck were exchanged in hushed whispers. Vocal was glad to have found company, it was a pleasant distraction from the delicious aroma of food filling the air. She watched from above as the catering staff brought out appetizers and served them to the party guests. Hope my performance comes up before they serve dinner. Vocal had signed up for an early performance time in the name of being present for dinner. Vocal felt someone touch her shoulder, it was Autumn Strings, the moment they had been waiting for had come. Thank goodness Strings was paying attention. Vocal took a deep breath and began her performance, she sang slow ballads which were pleasant to the ear. Soon her work was over and Vocal retreated downstairs, she waved goodbye to Autumn Strings who went to join the celebrations in the street.

Basilisk-Soul had passed out, his conscious only shifting back when he felt something move in front of him. The early morning air was filled with his cursings as he began to beat the lifeform in front of him. The pony proved to be a unicorn as it stumbled away from him, the moonlight gleaming off her ebony horn. Basilisk would have pursued, if his body had allowed him, but it wouldn't budge, consumed with his empty paranoia. Speaking of bodies, that unicorn's body looked familiar. Oh, Brains.

Basilisk snorted in distaste, his body was wasted from all of the magical energy he used up, hell, he wouldn't have-NO he would have lasted, he would have been able to set Night Haunter Aflame! Cocky imbecile... Basilisk-Soul hissed in a dark whisper, not daring to bring any attention to them with that monster still about. "Since I can only assume your well enough to move now, I'd suggest getting back to those foals of yours." He stifled back a groan as he brought himself to his hooves, his body trembling from lack of energy and his usual nervous ticking. "You'll get your money later." Basilisk added on a second thought, for the sake of not stirring up trouble within his own ranks. Everyone knew that Basilisk-Soul tended to attack anything that moved when being awoken, but it was a different thing to be suddenly thrashed in the flesh, not that he actually cared but, business y'know. Aggrivating manure that it is!

Basilisk began to slick back home, everypony he passed would just take him as they normally took anyone they saw wobbling along the streets, silently. There was no need to speak, they were either going or heading back from work, life at it's fullest. A weak chuckle broke the silence, lingering in the stillness of the moon.

One Week Later.

Basilisk-Soul and his crew had planned everything out carefully. The gaurds around the tables were keeping an eye out for anyone just taking food home, that sort of business was only ment for after Nightmare Moon left and the party was over. Just so those pompous mules could save their pocket change. PffffffffffftHAhaHahAhAHAhahaha Basilisk watched, a smirk gracing his lips as one of his lackeys chatted it up with a soldier, only the most cheery of his crew, a ginger pegasus whose family had managed to make it to middle class, Orange Charm, and man was she a charmer. The only thing more charming was the perfume she had made herself, not that anyone would consider actually producing and buying it from her, Orange Charm had been marked as a bane to society in her early teens after snapping during her factory work, and tra lala that's how she met her current coltfriend, who knew Basilisk-Soul! And she'd been with them and him(The coltfriend) ever since, there was no point in flirting with a pony already taken, but one could appreciate such a flank. They had obviously chosen the youngest looking gaurd. Somewhere near them, Brains was sitting with her foals at the table innocently, fussing over them as any mother did. No one seemed to notice how food would just disapear here and there, straight into a bag Basilisk-Soul was hiding with his illusion magic. Luckily for them Brains had a nice long range to her magic and could things on the table from afar, they had already filled several bags with food they deemed to last a bit. They of course moved to different tables for every bag but hey, still got the job done. Food Aplenty.

Basilisk scoffed, his tone slightly amused as he examined the next table they were going to hit, he actually knew one of the ponies there. Moon Blitz A washed out pride-talker, in fact! Basilisk actually had some business to attend to with a pegasus like him. Basilisk-Soul began to pull the bag away. Brains flinched in response, her magic immediately pressing on Basilisk-Soul's mind.

Is something wrong?

Nah, just some business to attend. Eat! Drink! Be Merry Ebony Talks, (Brain's name if I haven't already given her one)enjoy your foals and inform Orange Charm she can join her man now, we'll begin again later.

Ke.

Basilisk-Soul looked on as she nuzzled her youngest foals head, he'd make a good runner one day. He trotted off, being careful not to bump his invisible bag into anyone as he deposited off back at their 'hidin' spot, taking great pains to ensure he wasn't being watched or followed. He brushed his vibrant red mane back and out of his face as he headed over to the young speedster known as 'Moon Blitz'. "If you would stop drinking for a moment Ihave a proposition for you."

Moon Blitz felt like the cats pajamas, he was reunited with his gang and life felt like skittles and beer. Although he was overjoyed at this current moment, he realized how much reality's sick race of survival had separated them. If only we didn't have to waste every moment breaking our backs for the upper class. Catching up on everyone's lives was amusing and time consuming, it was a wonderful way to pass the time. But by now the beer was blurring his brain, Moon could never hold his liquor. He could barely comprehend what was being talked about anymore, right now he was just laughing at anything being said. His old gang had begun to ignore him by now, they already replaced his supply of beer with water, not that Blitz noticed. Even though it was a festival and getting drunk beyond belief was expected, there was no point in wasting good drink on someone who was too intoxicated to appreciate it. RedPolish was saying something about having a marefriend, exaggerating her graces to his audience proudly. RedPolish explained that she couldn't join him tonight because she was working as a maid for the fancy dinner party.

"Hahaha," MoonBlitz laughed uncontrollably, "how do I know you aren't hic making this up?"

"It's the truth," Red grinned as he brushed him mane back, "you're just poking fun at it because you can't hold onto a relationship."

"I can too!" Moon said rather annoyed but his quiet chuckles made it hard to take him seriously. "I just haven't found a mare who can hic hold my interests."

"It's not about if someone can keep up with you, it's about if you're willing to slow down for someone else." RedPolish shook his head in agreement to his own statement, "You'll never find happiness if you continue to think like that."

"I'll be happy once I become a hic shadowbolt, you only have a gal because you're one hic heck of a pretty boy." MoonBlitz slurred, then he followed up his reply with a chorus of laughter.

"If you would stop drinking for a moment I have a proposition for you."

"What's that?" MoonBlitz laughed as he met Basilisk-Soul's glance, "Well looks who is it is, hic graced me with your presence eh? And hic at a festival no less, must be important!"

In the corner is his eye he could see WildRide and PixiePeach begin to leave, ponies like them knew better than to mix with the likes of Basilisk-Soul.

"Don't bother, I'll be back." Moon struggled to claim his balance as he pried himself away from the group. "Where shall we hic talk business?"

((Ah damn! My greatest apologies, I've been busy.))

"Extenuating circumstances prevented me from returning the volume by the due date. I assure you that I fully intend to put it within your care. Would it be convenient for you and I to discuss the matter in private?" Now Letterform had his chance to speak with her about what had happened to her book. He still had no clue whether the madmare would continue to act rational or not. There was honestly no guessing her reaction, seeing as he barely knew Twilight Charmer. He didn't even know her name, and if he had heard it uttered in the past, the stallion had forgotten. There was still an interested crowd, but some had walked off in boredom. Just a librarian talking about an overdue book! That lovely performer singing was so much more interesting. Now, if only the unicorn could see a quiet area to speak. From his current position, he couldn't see any such place. And if he just randomly looked around, it would be weird to say the least. But hopefully that issue would be rectified later. But this accursed crowd!

As he waited for the mare's response, Letterform impatiently tapped his hooves on the floor.

Edited by Durppie

[No prob Durppie!]

Twilight searched for somewhere private, but had very little luck. Besides, if there was somewhere private they could be, she'd already be there. If only she could perfect that teleportation spell... "It would be convenient, if there was somewhere to be alone. However, we're just going to talk about that book later. I'm at the library. When you visit is irrelevant." For now though, she had realized that the stares from before had faded away. She was thanking the other sister, what was her name? Celestia? Thank Celestia for that. However, she was now aware that if she did anything out of the ordinary, people were going to stare. It would be some at first, then everypony.

Buck that though, they weren't looking now. She could do something about that later... Why was he tapping his hoof? It was really bothering her. Couldn't he do something else? Like stare off into the distance? Or just vanish into thin air?

Basilisk-Soul couldn't help but roll his eyes, Moon Blitz and his buddies had been talking about mares. Why only a week ago he'd-

Basilisk-Soul's face scrunched up in distaste, no. Basilisk-Soul wasn't going to muck up today thinking about that wretched whelp Night Haunter, he was probably to occupied with nobles to even be allowed to bother. Oh the burdens of running a city~ PffffahahHAHAHA

"What's that?"

Basilisk could feel the layers of his fur prick with annoyance as the fool known as Moon Blitz laughed at him.

"Well looks who is it is, hic graced me with your presence eh? And hic at a festival no less, must be important!"

Basilisk-Soul almost couldn't bear to look at the disgusting stallion. He would have loved nothing better than to BREAK the jaw that mocked him. Or rather the jaw who that he was mocking his employer. Basilisk-Soul was actually a pony who took great pains never show his face, he always played in the shadows. Which is the main reason the guards hadn't busted Basilisk-Soul's operation yet, they needed to know who the leader of their organization was; Basilisk-Soul would make sure that never happened. On the streets, and even to his own gang, he was known as "Wisp", to keep true to his cutie mark of the grey wisps of smoke. The ponies who would even known his real name probably wouldn't have even given it any attention, and had forgotten it by now, he was fine with that.

Basilisk-Soul- no, Wisp, was the voice of Basilisk-Soul. Ponies involved in Basilisk-Soul's business generally referred to him as 'the angry pet' most of the time. That was fine, to protect his business and himself, that was fine. One day Basilisk-Soul would come to power, and he would reveal himself and how STUPID everypony had been. He wasn't sure how he was going to do that yet, he was going to keep himself and his property alive until then.

Oh good, Moon Blitz's group is beginning to leave, though them leaving might also attract attention but Basilisk-Soul knew better than to worry about that during a festival, everyone had their hooves filled with ponies. Basilisk-Soul felt a serge of pride knowing that cowards like them wouldn't dare mix themselves up with his business. Wouldn't want to mess up your coat now~ You'll come crawling after you've been properly broken!

"Don't bother, I'll be back." Moon struggled to claim his balance as he pried himself away from the group. "Where shall we hic talk business?"

"Moon 'Ditz' it would do you well not to abuse your tongue rights."

Not that an intoxicated Moon Blitz would catch the name mispronunciation anyway.

"I saw a dragon's hoard worth of Hayfries back at table 203."

Basilisk-Soul indicated him to follow as he walked, swearing silently to the both of them that if Moon Blitz so much as poked him he would burn his tail off. He would need to keep a normal level of presence, so he wasn't exactly going to begin YELLING AS WAS HIS RIGHT. Idiots needed to be reprimanded.

"You drunken fool, the 'Princess' won't be here for another good three hours, besides, you're hardly presentable. Festival's are the peak of activity among the finer ranks, guards are too busy with food grubbing ponies than anything else. Hell, if they didn't hold Nightmare's speech in the garden anypony could probably steal all the flowers. I can only assume you did try out for a piece of the entertainment time before the Princess speaks."

Moon Blitz's love for Nightmare Moon wasn't a secret, why should it be? In the eyes of the law Moon Blitz was politically correct. One of the many advantages of having Moon Blitz deliver packages for him; most over-achieving Princess lovers were overlooked by most of the ponice (police, inform me if this is to awful a pun).

Basilisk hissed under his breath thinking of the time he was going to lose waiting for Moon Blitz to sober the hell up, greasy food and water should help with that in the very least. He could only wait as he saddled himself up onto a bench, brushing his contrasting locks out of his face only for them to fall down by gravity's whims again. Basilisk-Soul began to partake of the potato themed food, beginning with the baked potatoes, as frankly baked potatoes were amazing. They hid in the ground until they were strong enough to face the world, just like he was going too, except he doubted the princess would care enough to eat him like the potato in his jaws.

This was going to be a long night.

In the very least the best thing about Moon Blitz was that he didn't go blathering his mouth about since no one cared but the law, and the law would make it hard for Moon Blitz attempting to go to any actually good! flight training camps, or university s. But Moon Blitz had to get money somehow, oh yes, somehow.

Edited by Limn