Qwackie

Folk Music, anyone?

So I listen to a lot of folk music and was wondering if anyone here on DC is as nerdy when it comes to their music. If so, what regions' sounds are you attracted to?

I usually listen to a lot of Scandinavian music. I do, however, love Celtic sounding folk songs as well.

Celtic music is beautiful. I also like folk metal (Finntroll, Turisas, Ensiferum).

Celtic music is beautiful. I also like folk metal (Finntroll, Turisas, Ensiferum).

Folk metal is great. I'm listening to the acoustic version of Turisas's March of the Vangarian Guards right now, heh. Ever heard of Tyr?

Folk metal is great. I'm listening to the acoustic version of Turisas's March of the Vangarian Guards right now, heh. Ever heard of Tyr?

Mathias has such a beautiful voice :3

I've heard of them, but I've only listened to them a few times. Checking out By The Sword In My Hand right now. Pretty good, nice catchy chorus tongue.gif

I do^^ I also like listening to nordic folk music.

especially Icelandic folk music, they're the best so far smile.gif

Me too, I love Celtic folk music it's the most beautiful thing in the world, Altan, Julie Fowlis, Paul Brady, Enaid, John Doan... and Germanic folk too, I listen a lot to Baltic and Slavic as well, folk metal is great too, I like mainly Heidevolk, Eluveitie, Vanir, Korpiklaani, Skyforger, Falkenbach... I love new age and ambient music too, Loreena McKennitt, Celtic Woman, David Arkenstone...

I enjoy a lot of folk music, and filk music as well... what I've heard referred to as "music for folk who haven't been yet" with modern and even sci-fi themes. Although it's not limited to that; many musicians within the SCA write songs either to fit the style of their chosen historical period, or about the SCA, or both. Mercedes Lackey, author of the Valdemar books, has written four or five CDs' worth of songs relating to the Valdemar books as well as some other music.

Anyway, for some examples:

Joe Bethancourt, known in the SCA as Iospeh of Locksley, performing "I'll See Your Six" at the Pennsic War back in 1999... the audio and video are out of sync, but the sound quality is pretty good for something recorded live at a camping event.

Here's another SCA type song, performed by Leslie Fish, called "Serious Steel".

Another offering from Leslie Fish, "Gremlins" is a cute take on what happened when technology started to displace forest sprites and such.

Here is a Mercedes Lackey-written tune called "Philosophy" about the character Skif from many of her Valdemar books, as performed by Dominic Bridwell on her CD Heralds, Harpers, and Havoc. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccZgbpankKo

Another Valdemar song, "Her Father's Eyes" is also from Heralds, Harpers, and Havoc, and this one is performed by Mercedes Lackey herself.

And finally, an old favorite of mine from Heather Alexander, "The March of Cambreadth". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCrnF844_ww

I don't know many Folk songs. xd.png

I've listened to some Irish/English/Celtic folk music (though I don't remember their titles/artists). They're beautiful smile.gif

Some of the songs I enjoy listening to:

The Swedish song by Detektivbyrån - En Annan Typ Av Disco. (Beautiful! No vocal. Thanks Pewdie xd.png)

The Swedish song by

. (Beautiful! No vocal.)

The Swedish song by Garmarna - Månpolskan. (Beautiful as well, no vocal.)

The Swedish song by

There's this other version sung by a German singer

. (The lyrics (meaning) are rather awkward, but... it sounds beautiful anyway!)

The Finnish song by

. (Catchy!)

Some of other Garmarna's songs are nice, only their meanings are a little awkward for me, so I'd rather not to post them here. The same for Folk Metal. I enjoy listening to songs in foreign languages in general but it depends on the lyrics and genre. I like to learn, memorise the lyrics for fun. smile.gif

If I ever find other nice songs, I'll share them!

Edited by Slytherin7

I adore folk metal. Especially Korpiklaani (my favourite Louhen Yhdeksäs Poika) right now, but Finntroll is also nice, as is Týr or Moonsorrow. Trollfest is funny, especially live. laugh.gif

Actually, folk metal is always best live. The atmosphere can't compare to any other genre. Anyone from Europe been to Heidenfest? I loved it.

Sorry, I'm derailing this towards folk metal. xd.png I just got excited that there's a topic.

I've been listening to a lot of Julie Fowlis lately and the majority of her music is Scottish Gaelic folk music. I had no idea she'd done songs other than the two from Brave until YouTube led me to her version of Wind and Rain, which is a very old folk song.

Julie Fowlis songs:

Ged A Sheol Mi Air M' Aineol

Edited by tyto_alba

I love all the kind of folk music, except from some remixes with pop. I love of course folk music of northen regions, such as Scandinavia, Scotland, Ireland, Poland etc, but I also like the balkan folk music and the Meditterenian islands' folk music.

Here are some examples

1)One traditional song I first heard it from my grondmother, who is an emigrant from Minor Asia, in greek, but I lately heard in turkish and I loved it here is a video with both versions

2) I don't know if it's the original version, but it's a good one. It's from the regions of South Italy and Sicelia and the language is Italian with a slight mixture of greek.

I also like songs from native tribes as Native American's music or Maori music

Here is one example of Maori song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV88zD55_zc

I am also looking for a traditional song in Romanian called "ploua" (I think), but I can't find it in youtube. Can anyone give me a link?

i enjoy some good celtic folk as well but i dont actively seek it out

not celtic and hardly folk, but the closest i have on the ol' I Pod is alexander rybak

I like my folk. Folk-Metal, Folk-Punk, straight up Folk... my kinda tunes. I've actually been to a Folk Festival in Devon repeatedly. Mostly Western-style stuff, but I do enjoy a bit of African folk now & then.