Astralite

Marching Band

Are you in either? Both? What instrument do you play and what's your show like this year?

Marching season just started up at my school. I'm not quite sure how to feel about it; it's my second year so the music and marching is a lot easier for me to do, but the others in my section can get on my nerves. I miss a lot of the seniors that left last year, too >.< Our show is called Pictures at Exhibition or something along those lines. Like I said, the music is pretty easy. We haven't actually started the marching for it yet, but my guess is it will be fairly simple as well. Our flag corps only has five people this year, so I don't think we'll be winning to many competitions, which is a pity.

So, any other band geeks?

Well, I used to march until my university's director made some choices that forced me to quit.

But I still do Kappa Kappa Psi, which is a good time. :3

Marched in high school, for five years! (we allow eighth graders to march tongue.gif )

I have to say though that marching band taught me so many things that my kids are doing it! (unless they take on something equally time consumming >.< .

My first year I learned band was hard, the next year I fainted all the time but had the best section leader in the world. Sophomore year I had to deal with a section leader who didn't like me and lip bleeding and hyper extending pinky (I played alto saxophone and my pinky could barely reach one of the keys leading me to hyper extend it).

My junior year we got a superior at state and was the best band season I had. Then year I was section leader however I had a section that I couldn't control. One had 'second year syndrome' (meaning she thought she was doing everything right because she had already done it one year), another wouldn't listen, and one was a terrible marcher but was dedicated and knew his music early but lost it with his confidence. I wish I could do that year over, I think there were some things I could have done better as a section leader.

Im a second flautist (flute) in a concert band we haven't started rehersals yet for this academic year but we do 3 concerts a year winter, spring and summer

I love playing instruments! biggrin.gif

I played violin in my middle school orchestra 6th-8th grade.

The flute for 9th grade (I'll be continuing it hopefully).

And the piano since the beginning of this summer.

Freshman year, I was in a marching band, but my schedule is too packed for it next year (though I might join jazz band, which is after school, next year).

Edited by Dauntingale

BAND FOR THE WIN.

Trolololol

I suck at Mellophone during marching band (I really need to practice >.<) The section leader last year was a pain in the arse, but she just graduated. Now I'm the only Mello left (besides the incoming freshies, so there's about three of us.)

But I'm a huge win Oboist during concert! |D Been playing for... going on five years. I think I'm going to be the only one there also. Not many oboists coming in and I think our other is switching to bassoon. That traitorous rat... >n>

And I kinda taught myself piano, but I'm not really that into it. I like using it to tune though. |D

Our show last year was Led Zeppelin, which wasn't too bad, but this year we're doing Billy Joel. -n- Not that I'm not a fan of his music, just... For a halftime show? REALLY?!

Edited by mickiloo97

I play clarinet and saxophone in concert band

Edited by wonton55912

I play the Flute and Piccolo smile.gif I graduated so I'm no longer in marching band but i did it 5 years and the shows we did were really amazing...except one we don't talk about it haha biggrin.gif

Band Geeks unite! xd.png

I was in a concert band on flute for my entire junior high through high school career, and since I was homeschooled I went back and played as an alumna for quite some time as well. ^>^

I briefly dabbled in the double bass in the orchestra, but that was a way more expensive proposition to continue.

Edited by LibbyLishly

I miss it. I played flute from 5th grade right through college.

Marched starting in junior high. Got a piccolo in high school.

Those were fun times!! I'm dating myself here by saying so, but my freshman year included the band marching in Clinton's second inauguration. It was phenominal.

I played viola for only an year for school.

Right now I am playing flute and loving it! biggrin.gif

I played violin from 5th to 8th grade. I played flute in 9th grade and was in a marching band that year. Great experience. Now, I'm playing piano. smile.gif I hope to stick to this one.

I played piano since I was 4yrs old. Played clarinet from 5th grade all the way to 12th grade when high school ended. Was in Symphonic from 5th to 6th grade, Concert in 7th and 8th grade. Symphonic again in high school when 9th grade started to 10th grade, Concert from 11th to 12th grade.

I did marching band from 9th grade to 12th grade in New York state. We competed with other marching bands of our state in the New York State Field Band Competition and this year we came in first place smile.gif

My last year of high school, last year (I am now a freshman in college) we placed 2nd.

Even though I'm in college now, I'm very much involved with my old marching band family and the bands in my high school smile.gif Even the newbies who have showed up. I went almost every weekend to see the competitions and found out a lot of the marching band was very happy for me that i was able to go off to college and they all missed me smile.gif

I don't plan on ever not being active in those groups. They're my family. I'd take up an instrument at my college in a band, but we don't have a marching band here and the symphonic or concert bands we do have don't currently fit into my schedule. Instead, I try to find when a piano isn't being used and go play on that.

I play in both :3

Keyboard in marching band. I may not have to suffer the pains of marching, but rolling a massive keyboard around and then setting up all of the sound and power in a span of 15-30 seconds makes up for it tongue.gif

Concert band is now. No keyboarding for me and there's not enough room for any more Xylos, so I'm just gonna hit a gong. xd.png

It was many many years ago (and I mean many) but I played flute in marching band and in concert band. The college I went to didn't have a marching band.

I used to do color guard for my high school during marching band season. During concert band I would play the flute. Some of my best memories are with my band friends smile.gif

It really wish I could continue band in college, but things got a bit crazy and I had to do more of a focus on my literary stuff. Anyways. Band is fantastic!