fainewebbe

Insomniacs Unite

I searched for an similar topics using the search engine, so my apologies in advance if one already exists. smile.gif

Anyone else often have trouble sleeping? I've had trouble sleeping for a lot of years. It especially sucks because I get up for work at 5:30am and usually can't fall asleep until 2-3. I've just recently found ASMR [Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response] vids. They use soothing sounds or movements to help you relax. Hearing sounds of rock salt crinkling or someone whispering helps me lull off (weird, I know xd.png). Anyone else find anything that helps them?

I am so an insomniac! I don't fall asleep till its time for me to wake up pretty much every day!! But something that helps me get to sleep, is listening to slow music at a hushed volume. It works for me so maybe it will for you! smile.gif

Thanks--that's a great idea! I've tried music once or twice but stopped because I woke up with a song stuck in my head. laugh.gif Next time, I'll turn the volume lower.

smile.gif It used to happen to me all the time! Especially with the most annoying songs ever, but that's when I realized I needed to turn the volume down! smile.gif

I have a lot of trouble falling asleep (although luckily, once I do I sleep like a rock)!

I usually take melatonin and vitamin B6 before I go to bed (by at least an hour)--they help me fall asleep more easily than I would otherwise. I also like I listen to ambient or calm electronic music on low volume before I go to sleep. I have pretty comfy earbuds that I can lay down in and slide out easily once I'm about to fall asleep, but even if I sleep in them it doesn't bother me biggrin.gif

Thanks for the information on vitamin b6! I had no clue that helped you fall asleep! I'm going to have to try that. biggrin.gif

I got the same problem too...what works for me is somthing my ma calls "magic milk"

Milk + pinch of pumkin pie spice + little vanilla+ tiny bit of a sugar replacement (not sugar though because well...it's firetrucking sugar) I use splenda -> warm it up in microwave for a minute -> let it cool if its crazy hot -> SHAABAM sleepy in five minutes...

Works like a dream

(just realized the irony in that..)

I used to have a problem with insomnia when I was in the habit of repeatedly checking my forums, scroll, forums, cave, twitter, instagram, tumblr, forums, scroll, cave...Internet K-Hole.

I try to get off the computer now around 10 and do stuff around the house to wind down without any tv, phone, computer. I also used to rely on xanax to get to sleep (because my mind just races about stuff) and now I get sleepy after just drinking a cup of Traditional Medicinals lavender chamomile tea or warm almond milk with turmeric, honey, fresh cracked pepper and ginger.

Not being able to fall asleep until late night/early mornings is actually not uncommon. Human circadian rhythms can vary widely, and when you add in things like computers and TV and work, it's almost common to hear of sleeping patterns that begin around 2 in the morning and last until afternoon. Not that everyone has the luxury of sleeping the day away, bah =p

So no worries to those who may be thinking they have actual insomnia; your internal clock is probably just a partier =) I used to do word scrambles and crosswords when I couldn't sleep, myself.

While not inbsomniac I do suffer form the occasional bouts of depression-related sleeplessness. And I do mean sleeplessness. Bed at 9 after a long day, and I'll spend 8 hours in bed not sleeping a wink before I have to get up for work again. It's most unpleasant.

I don't usually have trouble getting to sleep (picking up the DS and playing a game like pokemon usually puts me out) but it's staying asleep that's a problem. I don't think I've ever not woken up repeatedly in the night. That's not insomnia, but I do have trouble staying asleep and sometimes falling back asleep. If I do wake up and am not tired, I usually do not try to force myself back to sleep. It fluctuates but I guess I just don't feel tiredness at times or I just don't need much sleep.

Fully-certified insomniac. I find massive difficulties in falling asleep - it can take literally hours to do so - and I often get only 4-6hrs. When I do sleep for extended periods it is incredibly-broken sleep as well; I was in bed for ten hours last night but I am consciously aware of waking up five times. And as an added bonus I also suffer night terrors. So not only do I have difficulties sleeping, when I do sleep I run the risk of being scared awake.

Have been suffering for about half my life now - it started at about 13yrs and has only gotten worse over the years. However it is partially due to my lifestyle and not entirely due to my mental problems - I take part in shift work and have always worked late/shift patterns.

Yeah, I'm going to die very early.

If you use your computer late at night before you go to bed it might also help to install f.lux. It adds an orangey tint to your screen at night that's more natural looking for your eyes. I don't know how much it's helped me sleep, but it definitely looks better than staring at a blinding blue-white screen at night biggrin.gif

If you use your computer late at night before you go to bed it might also help to install f.lux. It adds an orangey tint to your screen at night that's more natural looking for your eyes. I don't know how much it's helped me sleep, but it definitely looks better than staring at a blinding blue-white screen at night biggrin.gif

Thanks I'll definetly try this!! I haven't slept in a few nights and I'll try this when I want to sleep! Now, does annyone have any tips about staying awake during the day haha??

Thanks I'll definetly try this!! I haven't slept in a few nights and I'll try this when I want to sleep! Now, does annyone have any tips about staying awake during the day haha??

Red Bull wink.gif

If you use your computer late at night before you go to bed it might also help to install f.lux. It adds an orangey tint to your screen at night that's more natural looking for your eyes. I don't know how much it's helped me sleep, but it definitely looks better than staring at a blinding blue-white screen at night

Oh, that's a cool idea--never thought about that. Thanks for the link!

I'm trying to look for more natural ways to fall asleep. My doctor prescribed Ambien a while back, and when I read the side effects to my significant other, we were cracking up. It warned of having conversations in your sleep, eating in your sleep, walking, etc. I took some that day because I was so exhausted, and lo and behold--I wake up to find I had called someone and had a long conversation with them; heated up and eaten all the leftover Chinese food in the fridge plus a box of cookies; and then I found a rough draft of a note I evidently left the Fed-Ex man about how he could leave an expected package at the door without my signature because I had drawn him a pic of the Kool-Aid guy battling a dinosaur instead. xd.png Now I stay clear of things like that.

Oh, that's a cool idea--never thought about that. Thanks for the link!

I'm trying to look for more natural ways to fall asleep. My doctor prescribed Ambien a while back, and when I read the side effects to my significant other, we were cracking up. It warned of having conversations in your sleep, eating in your sleep, walking, etc. I took some that day because I was so exhausted, and lo and behold--I wake up to find I had called someone and had a long conversation with them; heated up and eaten all the leftover Chinese food in the fridge plus a box of cookies; and then I found a rough draft of a note I evidently left the Fed-Ex man about how he could leave an expected package at the door without my signature because I had drawn him a pic of the Kool-Aid guy battling a dinosaur instead. xd.png Now I stay clear of things like that.

LOL I DIED LAUGHING! No offense to this topic or anyone here, but you are not an insomniac unless you are diagnosed by a docter. My insomnia is real and is caused by a disorder which I would not like to share.

LOL I DIED LAUGHING! No offense to this topic or anyone here, but you are not an insomniac unless you are diagnosed by a docter. My insomnia is real and is caused by a disorder which I would not like to share.

Wrong. Not everyone is able to get a diagnosis. Did you have insomnia before you were diagnosed? By your logic, you didn't. Unless you are the person in question, you have no right to tell them that they do not have something simply because they haven't had a doctor confirm it.

Obviously self-diagnosis is far more prone to incorrect diagnoses but that does NOT mean that every person who does self-diagnose is wrong.

Please don't tell others that their experiences are invalid when you have no proof (and are not a doctor yourself).

And anyway, it's not like insomniacs are the only ones with sleeping problems. Just because we're all posting in this thread does not mean we all think we're insomniacs. If someone claims to be something they're not, that's wrong. But there's nothing wrong with discussing it regardless.

But there's nothing wrong with discussing it regardless.

This. ^

I've gotten some really great advice. I hope others have, too. (And I installed f.lux--that is one of the coolest things ever. It helped so much with eyestrain because I'm on the computer a lot at night...another bad thing if you're trying to sleep xd.png).

Hi. I really am certified insomniac.

What causes insomnia? I'm not an insomniac myself, but I'm curious as to what causes it. Do certain disorders like ADHD and/or dyslexia cause it?

Anybody who can help?

What causes insomnia? I'm not an insomniac myself, but I'm curious as to what causes it. Do certain disorders like ADHD and/or dyslexia cause it?

I think it's different for people--some are physical and some psychological. I've had trouble sleeping since I was in high school and now I'm in my thirties. For me, I can't seem to turn my mind "off". I think of all the things I need to accomplish for the next day; things I need to get finished at work; or that's when I worry about things I otherwise push out of my mind.

The mind has a powerful hold over the body. There are times where I don't sleep for a good 24-36 hours even if my body is completely exhausted. The longest I've gone is about 72 hours.

*Re-edited for spacing fail. xd.png

Edited by fainewebbe

No, I have such strong opinions on this. I'm leaving now before I explode my opinions on you people. I will not be in general discussion for a long while.