fainewebbe

Insomniacs Unite

I don't have insomnia, but books seem to help my mind calm down when I need to fall asleep earlier than usual. Although that kind of backfires if it's a good and/or exciting book that I've never read before.

I think I sleep better in bright light. That's not good for someone who needs to go to school early, though, since I don't want to leave the lights on all night and am usually busy during the day.

Anyone heard of ZZZquil?

I used to have really bad insomnia, but now depending on how tired I am it usually only takes me about a half an hour or less to fall asleep. When I'm really stressed out(or scared from reading too many creepypastas), I sometimes take melatonin and listen to music on a low volume. Also I find I fall asleep faster if I read a book for about a half an hour before going to sleep.

i have had severe insomnia issues all my life and found that burning lavender and sage helps a lot. it doesn't make anyone pass out necessarily, but it helps me relax and get into a more sleepy state

It's now past 3 o'clock at night here, sooo... unsure.gif

I don't think I have insomnia, it's just always taken me a long time to fall asleep, all my life as long as I can remember (and I can remember when I was 2 or 3 years old) so it's kind of normal (though rather inconvenient).

I know the "putting off going to bed for fear of not being able to sleep" cfmtfm wrote about very well, what usually helps me to overcome it is having a kind of going-to-bed ritual (little things I do in the same order every night, like "check alarm clock then brush teeth then go to bed").

Me. Every night, tossing around just thinking about the day or about the future or some other sterff. I usually read until I'm tired out though.

What helped me most, was adamantly controlling my sleeping pattern. No naps!

Additionally, controlling the conditions:

keeping a window open

not falling asleep in daytime clothes

no tv, no reading, no internet before sleeping

bedtime rituals, stuff like showering and using body lotion

scented candles

no eating right before bed

"Turning my mind off" is a problem for me, too. A couple of things help.

watching my breath/heartbeat

audio dramas

meditation tapes

I have eventually bought the recording that appealed to me most, but you can even find a couple good ones on youtube.

Of course, not all of the above at the same time, but they're things that can work. I don't like drinking milk or anything, not because it didn't work, but because I become wide awake again if I have to brush my teeth after drinking it.

One last thing maybe: a cheap mattress is not a good idea.

Wow, hi, guys! It swell my heart that I am not the only one who wakes up too early and can't fall back asleep or can't fall asleep at all. I have a guy friend who is an insomniac, but I get very sick if I take pills like he does, so I just live with it.

I find that listening to alternative music helps me. I used to listen to rock, but it made me energetic, so I don't anymore. I feel that the music calms me down by a good amount. It also helps if I'm actually tired, but I need to start going to bed early and am still adjusting.

I hope y'all have good fixes or find some.

Happy travels!

one thing that allways helped me was to turn my fan on high for 2 reasons.

1. to get a little white noise.

2. to make the room as cold as possible.

this definately helped me sleep more

I've started sleeping at about 6ish because it's kinda light and kinda dark, but most of the time I'm just sitting there... Ever tried sleeping upside down? It works...

Sometimes I *always* feel like I'm the only one in the world who is sleep deprived. It's all my school's fault. I used to have to be at school by 11:30 AM and now they switched my whole schedule so I have to be there by 8:30 AM. That means I have to wake up around 6 AM. I live in New York, but I have to take the train to New Jersey just to get to school. I don't even bother with caffeine because it doesn't work for me. I still feel sleepy even after having a cuppa.

I also can't help the fact I am a night owl. It's been years since I even slept at around 10 PM. In high school, I had the freedom to choose my own schedule of classes at __ time, so obviously I went for classes that started at like 10 AM rather than 8 AM thus allowing me to sleep in more often.

But I also think a few main issues with letting myself fall asleep is :

Going to bed late out of habit

Anxiety associated with sleeping/thinking too much about tomorrow

Bed not very comfy (I still have a bed with mattress springs, ugh)

I try to read before bed in the hopes it gets me tired, but all that does is make me want to read more and more. LOL. I am a reader, after all.

Total Night Owl right here. I usually get my second wind around 10:30, which peters off at midnight. Not good because school starts at 8:00am and is an hour away from my house, meaning that I have to get up at 6:00.

I've found that listening to music helps me sleep, or any sort of rhythmic white noise. Cats' purrs are rather soothing. I usually exersise right before I go to bed to tire me out. Nothing hard, I just walk in circles around my bed. It's kinda hypnotic... I once did it for 2 and a half hours and probably walked a mile. I'm gonna wear a track in my floor one of these days.

For turning your brain off, it helps me to focus on one thought until I can see it in my mind's eye and it turns into a dream.

Last night I had a lot on my mind. I don't remember if I fell asleep. I just recall a lot of tossing and turning all night long. I might've passed out at one point into unconsciousness, but then I was awake again and couldn't sleep. I got up later at the sound of my alarm.

The combination of valerian tea, melatonin pills, and a machine that makes rain noise saved my life. Literally.

I am currently PMing people's inboxes on Howrse with total randomness because I can't sleep. xd.png Would that be allowed on here?

Edited by Princess Kiara

I can never sleep at my one friend's house. It's soooo uncomfortable and she always leaves the lights on. *sigh* And then she always asks for slumber parties... dry.gif

Haha i'm starting school monday and it's currently 5 am here! I don't even know what sleeping during the night is anymore :P

I should be doing homework or sleeping (12AM), but no, I can't bring myself to get off DC and Howrse! biggrin.gif

i try and imagine someone hugging me, and i try to move as little as possible. that, or sleeping with minimal covers helps put me to sleep.

Yet another sleepless night (it's now 5.20am, I'm due to get up in two hours). I had a 90min yesterday afternoon which is probably what did it for me, which is annoying as I'm supposed to have lectures 9am - 3pm, help with a recruitment fair until 7pm, and at work for 9.30pm. Might have to skip the recruitment.

But hey,

Edited by Kestra15

I use to go to bed at a decent time. Usually I'm in bed by 10 pm and get up at 7 am with no problems. But since the beginning of the year I have slowly became an insomniac. I blame it all on my college schedule because I was taking three online classes for the first time. Plus I have a procrastination problem which caused me to wait till nighttime to work on my assignments. But I found out that I am more focused and I tend to do a lot better on my homework late at night. Some nights I would stay up til 5 am in the morning typing up college papers, and only get about 2 hours of sleep before I have to get up and go to class. I'm more of a nocturnal person. laugh.gif

Edited by Rockelle-275

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia a few years ago. One of the number one symptoms of Fibro is insomnia. My record for staying up with no sleep at all is 4 days. It was terrible. I try to practice my sleep hygiene routine each night. Which entails turning off all bright lights 1 hour before bed, no surfing the web or action movies. And when I go to bed turn all lights off, no reading in bed or computer access. I currently take Ambien before bedtime and I also listen to white noise. There is an awesome white noise machine online that is great. As of present I have not been feeling sleepy til 5-7 AM but have been getting 5-6 hours of sleep which is a lot for me. Thanks for all the suggestions and advice posted here. I'm going to try some of them smile.gif .

The fact that I've spent a month sleeping on the floor isn't helping. And the lack of Amerylis.