TJ09

2010-12-27 -Tree Decorating Event

this blue and silver thing is getting old really really fast... all the ones so far I've done have been blue and silver ..... but I'm still rating fair for the work and theme thoughtation (I know it isn't a word, thought put into it is what that means for me).

thank you for voting fair, one of those might have been mine >__<

darn i really hope mine isn't too common that it looks like 20 others

lol I just saw an LOL tree. biggrin.gif Rated it 7.

Ha, I think I saw that one. Gave it a 3 or 4.

my boyfriend fractured his elbow and we were in the hospital for 4 hours, later when we were home watching a movie i was like >_> you never decorated your tree *checks clock* D: it's 12:13

oh well

i worked really hard on mine but i don't have high hopes

i feel bad if i rate low but i've been getting a bunch were i'm just kinda like ehh unsure.gif

most of the ones i've voted i gave around a 5-8

I'm sorry about you BF's elbow. sad.gif And don't feel too bad for low rating; I've rated some much lower then I ever thought I'd be rating when I started this. I've seen some great ones, and I've seen a lot of not so great. I think we'll all settle into a system soon...hopefully. lol

I'm really worried about what my tree's getting rated. Wish I knew if it were getting a good or bad rating. Either way, at least I'd know and could stop worrying about it.

I gave the LOL tree a 5. Just like most of the other trees on here. tongue.gif

If a tree is your average, ok looking tree (without much pattern or colour coordination if it does it would go up to a 6) it gets 5.

I have a question:

Are winners decided by highest average score or highest total score?

Because total score would mean that a tree placed before more people to be voted upon has a much greater advantage than one that is voted on by fewer people.

Is there some type of system in place to ensure that all trees receive a relatively similar number of voting opportunities or is tree generation completely random?

When a total is drawn up, will statistics of how many voters voted on that tree to make that specific total be known?

I've been wondering about this as well, since it would be very disheartening for someone's tree to not be in the finals just because no-one saw it enough. If ya know what I'm saying.

I just saw my first green-themed Christmas tree.

Srsly. There were only like five ornaments plus the candle, all green. I thought it was blank at first because they blended into the tree. ninja.gif

Whhhy?

he slid on the ice, it's not too bad it's a hairline fracture, it hurt when he moved it but it swelled pretty bad, they put a splint on, probably a cast sometime this week

he is more sad that he can't use a mouse or hold a controller cause we just got a bunch of ps3 games

i'm curious about the unused ornaments, when i go to my tree page mine don't show up, but a bunch of the trees i rated had ornaments off to the side, they looked out of the tree range unsure.gif

i don't mind so much since mine kinda decorated my border but i'm just kinda curious cause i thought they would still show up on my tree page just be faded out not gone all together

Edited by darkshadow5392

he slid on the ice, it's not too bad it's a hairline fracture, it hurt when he moved it but it swelled pretty bad, they put a splint on, probably a cast sometime this week

he is more sad that he can't use a mouse or hold a controller cause we just got a bunch of ps3 games

i'm curious about the unused ornaments, when i go to my tree page mine don't show up, but a bunch of the trees i rated had ornaments off to the side, they looked out of the tree range unsure.gif

i don't mind so much since mine kinda decorated my border but i'm just kinda curious cause i thought they would still show up on my tree page just be faded out not gone all together

Ouch, hope he recovers quickly!

As far as I can tell about unused ornament, there's vertical lines defining the tree space and any ornaments with any part on/between those lines shows up. I doubt everyone realized that when designing their trees, though.

Poor guy! I did the same thing (jumped off a slide, but same difference) to my elbow. Everyone signed my cast though, so it was okay. xd.png

If you look on your tree preview right now, you'll see what everyone else sees. Any items that turned "faded" when you moved them away from the tree because invisible. There was a certain line you had to pass to get them out of view; apparently a lot of people didn't know that....

I wish they had a counter, to see how many you'd voted on! I'd like to know how many more I've got to go, though. tongue.gif

I'm practically a machine now; I auto-vote depending on which category it sorts itself into in my mind (vomit, silver-blue, picture, rainbow, etc.). Sometimes I get something a little weird that I have to squint at, but mostly I'm hitting one every four seconds. I will get them all! xd.png

lol That LOL tree must have put me under a trance or something... First, I did what it told me to do, and lol'd. Then I gave it a relatively high score. xd.png

I've been wondering about this as well, since it would be very disheartening for someone's tree to not be in the finals just because no-one saw it enough. If ya know what I'm saying.

It is also quite worrying that people seem to be seeing the same trees, out of a big enough pool that this should not be happening, and certainly not so close together chronologically.

Ouch, hope he recovers quickly!

As far as I can tell about unused ornament, there's vertical lines defining the tree space and any ornaments with any part on/between those lines shows up.  I doubt everyone realized that when designing their trees, though.

yeah, well that's why i was wondering cause there were a bunch that i was like "that looks outside of the tree area but i might be right on the edge of it

i have a personal pet peeve against overly cluttered trees, i vote for them same as the rest but i just don't really like it when i can't see the tree at all

then again i don't like the ones with 2 ornaments on them xd.png

i like a good balance or a reason so the clutter/nothing

Edited by darkshadow5392

maybe it works like: the tree decorating thing mainly shows a particular clump of trees today, then takes another clump together. that would explain the recurrence of the same trees and the general sense of sameness.

That still gives a highly unfair advantage to those in the first clump, since people are more interested in rating more trees and less jaded in the beginning.

maybe it works like: the tree decorating thing mainly shows a particular clump of trees today, then takes another clump together. that would explain the recurrence of the same trees and the general sense of sameness.

...But if they did totals, then that would suck really bad. 'Cause all the trees from the mid-day weekend would get high totals, and all the ones during the week at midnight would get little totals. D:

It's probably something like what Iceheart said; or, then again you have to remember that there are many, many of us on this board and if we're doing a lot of them really quickly for hours, we're hitting a whole lot of trees, so it's probably normal to see a lot of the same ones.

I don't think how many people see/vote on it matters, though, that wouldn't make sense. I believe the scores will be averaged out, as that would be much fairer.

yeah i also wish we had a counter to see how many we'd voted on at the moment. i like your category system *especially vomit!!!* laugh.gif

It is also quite worrying that people seem to be seeing the same trees, out of a big enough pool that this should not be happening, and certainly not so close together chronologically.

Indeed. :\ I hope that it's mere chance, or this contest could end up being quite unfair in a sense.

...But if they did totals, then that would suck really bad. 'Cause all the trees from the mid-day weekend would get high totals, and all the ones during the week at midnight would get little totals. D:

My guess is it is an average.

yeah i also wish we had a counter to see how many we'd voted on at the moment. i like your category system *especially vomit!!!* laugh.gif

Haha, thank you very much. biggrin.giflaugh.gif

Yep, I'm wondering as well whether the winner will be decided based on an average or a total. I've voted on a bunch of trees, and while I wouldn't expect my own to show up, I haven't seen my hubby's either, and his is creative enough to have a chance in the contest... if anyone ever sees it. Considering that the folks here seem to be running across the same trees at relatively the same time as each other, I'm guessing the tree order for voting isn't entirely random...? It would be sad if the folks near the end of the list don't get very many votes simply because most DC players don't have the time to vote for absolutely everything.

Or it could all be coincidence. rolleyes.gif But it would still be nice to know whether it's average or total score that counts.

My guess is it is an average.

I hope you're right! D:

...And I just saw a lovely star-of-david tree! Those ones make me happy. smile.gif