TJ09

2010-12-27 -Tree Decorating Event

One thing that causes me to rate trees down a lot if the garlands/toppers are on wrong. It doesn't take that long to line them up with tree!

Yes, I've been downrating for this a lot too, and also for garlands that have been carelessly layered partially on top of ornaments. It also irritates me when extra dragon-toppers have been used and the big holes in them are showing. And I've been giving trees that say "TJ" on them lower ratings too... I'm sorry, but I think it's gimmicky and kind of a kiss-up.

I've been uprating trees when I notice that they have cute or creative little touches on them somewhere, when they display symmetry (that takes a lot of skill with so many of the ornaments facing the same way!), or just whenever the colors or designs strike me as appealing. I like both "classic" and "picture" trees, but first and foremost they have to look nice.

I have found a number of trees I like while judging so far. :-)

All of my confidence is bleeding away and we have over a week to go! I want to live in Denialand when my tree is a 10 and someone brings me brownies (or even just that second part).

LOL! I'm feeling the same way (minus the brownies... I don't like brownies), but it's not a big deal. After all, two years from now the Gold version of the prize may still be rare, but it won't be unheard of and something else cool will be out. Life goes on...

biggrin.gif

laugh.gif i just saw a tree that looked like they stuck all the dragons (toppers) on the front of the tree and wrapped all the garland around them as if they were being tied to the tree. biggrin.gif maybe they wouldnt stay put? blink.gif

i graded it a little low cause you couldnt really see anything but the garland and it looked like no one gave it any time. but i thought that was funny!

HAHA, i know i've seen a few that look like the garland serves as duct tape to keep the dragons imprisoned in the tree!!! though i've also not been giving them a good rating, because it's totally messy and ridiculous, but it certainly makes me laugh everytime i come across one- just the thought of the dragons trying to get off the damn tree!!!! laugh.gif

I'm just coming in to say that last I heard, Murder said that TJ said screencaps of other trees were OK and Z said they were not. Fizzix in the chat thread also said that TJ said they were OK but she has disallowed them in chat. That's all I've heard concerning their validity so far. Has anybody heard anything different?

IIRC, _Z_ asked us to wait until she'd figured out exactly what was going on. So I just thought we were in a holding pattern until then. I think.

yeah, i also don't like the trees where they've put the dc icon thing and TJ's raptor at the very top, and used ALL the dragons on their trees *i mean, come on, you can clearly tell from the odd leggs and gaps on them that they're toppers!!!* and i just don't like people putting all the DC stuff at the top, it's totally kissing #@%!!!!

"PLEASE PICK ME"

Edited by misfitknits

Wow... I just found a really deserving Ten!

It is so painstakingly color and symmetrically organized, with everything placed perfectly! Unlike mine... xd.png

I was kinda lazy on mine.

IIRC, _Z_ asked us to wait until she'd figured out exactly what was going on.  So I just thought we were in a holding pattern until then.  I think.

I got the impression from Z's posts that some of the tree's owners had messaged her asking that they not be posted. So, if people are screen-capping them on the forum, the person that made them may not be happy about that. It does kinda ruin the first impression for people stumbling into them.

edit: I speel gud

Edited by Vhale

LOL! I'm feeling the same way (minus the brownies... I don't like brownies), but it's not a big deal. After all, two years from now the Gold version of the prize may still be rare, but it won't be unheard of and something else cool will be out. Life goes on...

biggrin.gif

There's something scary about a person who can be optimistic without brownies...

I think what's hardest is not being able to see what other people like or to have them peek at ours and kill hope once and for all. Still I do think the anonymity rule is a good one. Besides, my niece will hang out with me and pretend my tree is good. tongue.gif

There's something scary about a person who can be optimistic without brownies...

I think what's hardest is not being able to see what other people like or to have them peek at ours and kill hope once and for all. Still I do think the anonymity rule is a good one. Besides, my niece will hang out with me and pretend my tree is good. tongue.gif

Blondies can replace brownies any day of the week. That includes weekends.

i wasn't *lazy* on mine, i actually arranged and re-arranged the ornaments each day, when we got new ones. but my idea was not all that original, i just wanted to do a traditional, pretty tree! one like in real life! like, i got to decorate my own home tree, and now i get to decorate a DC one too!!! so, i just had fun with it, but i also took it seriously! i WAS actually thinking i might win *something* even if at the very bottom of that list! but now i don't think so either!!! it's okay, it's the fun of the event that matters. so as long as you had fun, you win!!! *oooozing cheesiness right now!!!!*

I apologize if this has been asked and answered already..looked through all the posts and couldn't find it...will be able to keep the trees, like we have the Halloween treats?

I'd also like to say that i've enjoyed this activity very much and I can see most folks worked hard on their trees (-; and I wish everyone the best of luck...and would be most happy to just get an honorable mention (-;

Edited by Caitlingal

Wow... I just found a really deserving Ten!

It is so painstakingly color and symmetrically organized, with everything placed perfectly! Unlike mine...  xd.png

I was kinda lazy on mine.

Aaahhh! See, this is killing me, too! Everyone's all "I saw a perfect tree!" and then I don't even know why it was perfect, or know it if I come across it. Curiosity is killing me (and the no brownie thing...yeah, I'll be whining about it for a while). laugh.gif

Blondies can replace brownies any day of the week. That includes weekends.

As long as there's a sugar high involved then I'm flexible. biggrin.gif

Edited by skauble

Yeah I know, that's why I feel so bad about it. I've seen at least 15 really well executed ones like that but there can only be 50 winners and I think those should go to the few that really make me look close and smile and call my roommate over to see.

But there are 200 that go on to TJ, and then he picks the winners from there.

In all honesty, I have yet to see even 100 really well-executed trees. I don't think I'm in danger of running out of 8's, 9's, and 10's... I'm more busy feeling guilty about giving out so many 1's, 2's, and 3's to trees I think are poorly executed. :-o

I apologize if this has been asked and answered already..looked through all the posts and couldn't find it...will be able to keep the trees, like we have the Halloween treats?

I'd also like to say that i've enjoyed this activity very much and I can see most folks worked hard on their trees (-; and I wish everyone the best of luck...and would be most happy to just get an honorable mention (-;

Read the first post. smile.gif

i wasn't *lazy* on mine, i actually arranged and re-arranged the ornaments each day, when we got new ones. but my idea was not all that original, i just wanted to do a traditional, pretty tree! one like in real life! like, i got to decorate my own home tree, and now i get to decorate a DC one too!!! so, i just had fun with it, but i also took it seriously! i WAS actually thinking i might win *something* even if at the very bottom of that list! but now i don't think so either!!! it's okay, it's the fun of the event that matters. so as long as you had fun, you win!!! *oooozing cheesiness right now!!!!*

ROFL

I'm oozing cheesiness with you, 'cause I had a blast with this!

Thanks, Misfitknits (love that name LOL) for the info...that's super (-;

I see everyone has made comments about the threes...my only objection is overstuffed trees.. i kind of like to see the tree beneath the ornaments..just funny that way..and it looks to me like some folks didn't have a chance to finish (-;

one tree was totally blank, but i rather liked it...

Edited by Caitlingal

(and the no brownie thing...yeah, I'll be whining about it for a while). laugh.gif

Heh, I quoted it and changed my sig, but I'll take it out if you want me to happy.gif

Yeah, as has been said, there are a bunch of great trees but not 200. That gives me hope, since mine was PRETTY good but not FABULOUS. smile.gif

I just can't wait till we see who the Fortunate Fifty are/will be.

I'm not a huge fan of the ones that use the TJ symbol and raptor on the top and spell out TJ and stuff all over, it does seem kinda like kissing up. But I did use the TJ symbol on mine. I think I did it in a classier way though, not on top and as one of four equally prominent parts of my design in which there wasn't a fourth ornament equally similar to the other 3.

I really wish we could see what our trees are currently rated...

I do too. I've not seen any design remotely close to mine, and I'm curious what folks thought of it.

We do get to keep our decorated tree when we're done, don't we?

Edited by Awdz Bodkins

Heh, I quoted it and changed my sig, but I'll take it out if you want me to happy.gif

xd.png No, you should keep it. People should have fair warning when they tangle with you.

Yeah, as has been said, there are a bunch of great trees but not 200. That gives me hope, since mine was PRETTY good but not FABULOUS.  smile.gif

That's what has given me hope, too. My tree isn't awe inspiring, or the like, but it's sleek...as much as a tree can be. lol And since I spent days moving everything 2 pixels that way and then 3 to the left, I'm hoping it was for some purpose. laugh.gif

Just spent about five minutes figuring out that I was looking at a howling wolf. Anyone else seen that one?

And I haven't had a scrollbar yet but I've had ornaments cut off at the bottom, not the sides. (I hope mine doesn't cut off at the side, It's got a floating thing...)

I'm curious about what happens if you run out of trees to vote on? tongue.gif

TJ said we should keep them for the rest of the year and have the opportunity to edit them. smile.gif

I kinda wish we had categories. I'd love a best of Color Theme, Picture, Humor, Traditional etc. But I'm sure TJ will be looking for a variety as well when he tried to narrow things down. And I know I wish I could go back and rate one or two higher than I did. They may not have been unique, but having seen more, were very well executed for that concept.