hibini

Are humans more important than animals?

Humans don't exactly deserve any help. Animals on the other hand, are in their positon because of us, so why shouldn't we repair what we caused?

Just last week, a friend and I were out and about, and we interrupted a cat catching a young robin. We wrapped it up in a blanket and drove 45 minutes to the nearest wildlife rehab centre.

It didn't survive past 24 hours, I'm sorry to say.

But what's the big deal, in the bigger picture? It's just a bird. Cats kill birds all the time. My cat Feitlebaum killed a squirrel right at my feet, while I was out working in the garden. I praised him. What made my friend and I rescue this bird? Strongly-developed sense of compassion, and we were there. It turned out to be a futile, inconsequential effort. Or did it really? Compassion is its own reward, and is never lost.

You realize that cats actually eat those animals, right? So you just took a meal away from a cat. Do NOT interfere with nature.

Ever heard of the Butterfly Effect? By taking away that bird, you just took away the cat's food, which in turn means that the creatures that eat the cat when it dies will obtain less protein and energy.

Humans don't exactly deserve any help. Animals on the other hand, are in their positon because of us, so why shouldn't we repair what we caused?

i completely agree. finaly, someone has the same opinion as me!!!

that's a horrible thing to say. just because something isn't important to humans means it's worthless and can die? that's disgusting! mad.gif

Look at their username. Rule 14.

-----

People saying that humans don't "deserve" help-- you must not have seen very much of the world.

So....THIS child doesn't deserve any help? hmmm.

Look at their username. Rule 14.

-----

People saying that humans don't "deserve" help-- you must not have seen very much of the world.

right... their comment just pissed me off so much, i didn't even think of that

So....THIS child doesn't deserve any help? hmmm.

Our species isn't "nice" in general. People mistreat animals all the time. While on vacation I saw a guy try to crush a crab with a football. You know why? Because he could. I felt like beating the censorkip.gif out of him. After that I scooped up the crab and brought it to the ocean. That is what we should be doing first. Fixing our mistakes.

The starving children in Africa aren't exactly a mistake on our behalf. They're in that position because of several different things. The difference is that we can repair that, but it's a little late to start repairing the damage we've done to nature over the many years.

Edited by crocodile100

The starving children in Africa aren't exactly a mistake on our behalf. They're in that position because of several different things. The difference is that we can repair that, but it's a little late to start repairing the damage we've done to nature over the many years.

The dying kids in our countries aren't really from any of my mistakes in life, but I still have a responsibility to help them. I've done nothing that would harm any child worldwide, but there are literally hundreds of kids growing up without families all across the US. I still have a responsibility to help them when I see that I can make a difference in their lives.

At the same time, I did not cause the rainforests to be chopped down, or the tigers to become endangered. I did not contribute to the thyclines dying out. Going off your logic, I shouldn't care about them either, right?

Should we not interfere with nature and no longer keep pets? Should we not vaccinate our pets and make sure none of them are spayed or neutered? Should we just let our cats, dogs, cows, horses run free as nature originally planned and let them die for not being able to adapt in the wild, or worse, destroy ecosystems because they're invasive species?

The dying kids in our countries aren't really from any of my mistakes in life, but I still have a responsibility to help them. I've done nothing that would harm any child worldwide, but there are literally hundreds of kids growing up without families all across the US. I still have a responsibility to help them when I see that I can make a difference in their lives.

At the same time, I did not cause the rainforests to be chopped down, or the tigers to become endangered. I did not contribute to the thyclines dying out. Going off your logic, I shouldn't care about them either, right?

Should we not interfere with nature and no longer keep pets? Should we not vaccinate our pets and make sure none of them are spayed or neutered? Should we just let our cats, dogs, cows, horses run free as nature originally planned and let them die for not being able to adapt in the wild, or worse, destroy ecosystems because they're invasive species?

I see what you're doing there. I used the word we because it's all of our problem. Everyone has contributed even a little to pollution which is destroying habitats. No matter how little or much you've done, it's still everyone's problem.

Also, people can help themselves. They can find a way to survive under pretty much any circumstances like food shortages. Animals have no way to defend themselves from illegal hunting or pollution. That's why they should come first.

And it's too late to "undomesticate" animals. Its been done, and the only way to prevent it now is to somehow prevent ALL of them from breeding.

Edited by crocodile100

Also, people can help themselves. They can find a way to survive under pretty much any circumstances like food shortages. Animals have no way to defend themselves from illegal hunting or pollution. That's why they should come first.

Okay, first, those children CANNOT find food for themselves. I don't think you realize how weak they are. And you're giving animals way less credit than they deserve. Most animals will adapt and find food anyway they can if they don't get shot at.

I see what you're doing there. I used the word we because it's all of our problem. Everyone has contributed even a little to pollution which is destroying habitats. No matter how little or much you've done, it's still everyone's problem.

That would be why there are so many people dying in Sudan because of the genocide. That would be why there are so many kids dying of starvation and AIDS. That would be why there are so many people in third-world countries working in sweat shops to make less than a dollar a week in order to at least try to feed their families. That would be why women in those countries reproduce and reproduce to replace the children they've lost, because one lost child means one less paycheck coming in. That would be why so many third world countries turn to poaching, which has quite a high paycheck. Because people can help themselves, but then other countries turn around and tell them they're doing it wrong, so they're stuck with their lot with practically no way to get out short of breaking the law or, if they're lucky, getting a sponser that will donate to get them help. Which doesn't happen nearly often enough. You want the poaching of the tigers to stop? At least help the people doing it get out of their poverty so that they don't have to.

Pollution is actually quite normal, the earth itself will pollute and restore itself. You don't think rivers would actually be clean with animals pooping in it all the time. Yes, we've sped that pollution up to the point where the planet can't restore itself in a timely manner, but don't think that it wouldn't happen without humans. However, as said, I haven't contributed at all to the tigers becoming endangered. Those mistakes aren't mine. Should I not care, then, what happens to them?

Edit: So, in other words, force the several species we've domesticated to become extinct? Doesn't that make things worse?

Edited by JaziandCo

Also, people can help themselves. They can find a way to survive under pretty much any circumstances like food shortages.

No, they really can't. Food shortages are, quite simply, when there is less food than there is demand. This therefore means people receive less food. When that gets to the point where the food being taken in for a person is less than they need to simply survive - even to the extremes that all they do is just sit down all day and do nothing - then people start dying. There is nothign people can do at that point - if they can't get the food somehow, they die. And somethings there really is nothing a person, even entire groups of people, can do except wait for death.

Sorry, but a comment like that is something of an ignorant one. There are circumstances where there is no way to survive through. Humans aren't like they appear in books and TV shows, always ingenious enough to survive any and all catastrophes - but in reality, the vast majority of times people simply die. It's a harsh reality.

Humans don't exactly deserve any help.

Yes, they do. I help people all the time, and some of them really are amazing people. Yes, I have helped out complete asses in my time, but who am I to make judgements that can be life-or-death decisions? You can't always know what kind of person you're helping is.

i would donate to animals no way i would donate to these horrible monsters called humans ... ( maybe not monster BUT we are not NICE creatures at all )

I am a natural born predator, the same as any other carnivorous or scavenger beast. This does not make me a monster any more than a badger, raccoon, or crow is a monster.

i wouldn't say either is more important than the other. the way i look at it is that, people have a voice they can cry for help with and we use it, and we get help for it

animals have no voice.

if a person comes to me for help i will help them. if there is a crisis i can help with i will. but only if they ask for help

animals i will help on my own will.

My friend Ash like a guradian angel to me, one of the things he has asked me to do is find my reason to live, to find out why i was brought into this world. for a long time i saw nothing, little did i know it was staring me in the face.

for me, standing up for animals, is my reason to live. I am the voice, for those without a voice.

There are circumstances where there is no way to survive through. Humans aren't like they appear in books and TV shows, always ingenious enough to survive any and all catastrophes - but in reality, the vast majority of times people simply die. It's a harsh reality.

Leaving catastrophes aside and focusing solely on food - the human body is actually quite adaptable. It can take in pretty much anything, including raw meat. When it is being forced, it learns how to adapt to the new diet changes and accepts whatever it is given in order to survive.

And yeah, I'm also talking about insects and weeds here.

Personally, I think they're equally important (people and animals, that is). Ironically, though, people can't really live without animals, whilst animals could be doing fine and dandy without us. So if I had to choose, I'd probably donate to/help the animals. By helping them, we'd be indirectly helping ourselves.

This topic has so many debatable sides that it's difficult to choose only one, to be honest.

Leaving catastrophes aside and focusing solely on food - the human body is actually quite adaptable. It can take in pretty much anything, including raw meat. When it is being forced, it learns how to adapt to the new diet changes and accepts whatever it is given in order to survive.

And yet it is incredibly fragile and doesn't take much to fatally ruin that balance.

I think both humans and animals are important. Both humans and animals have problems, so we should think of a way of solving problems for both animals and humans.

Both are equally important, though which someone helps comes down to how much said person values one over the other, and even that can be tricky.

I love jackals and cheetahs, but would I save a cheetah at the expense of a loved one? Don't think so, even if they are endangered and we're at 7 billion.

To me, I'll try to help them out equally, but if it came down to it, then I'd take animals over humans, except in isolated situations, because of my experiences with both.

I think humans and animals are just as important as the other. We all live on Earth, we all breath somehow. We are all animals, one way or the other.

(Before I say this, I would just like to point out that when I say "humans" I am not referring to every single human that has lived or is still living. I just mean it as a general term to name the people I am talking about. Sorry, I just want to clear that up before I post...)

I don't believe that one is more important than the other.

But I do believe that humans have caused a lot of suffering to animals. Therefore, we do sort of owe it to them to help them. I feel like people just aren't respecting animals and their habitats as much as we should be.

I just visited the Galapagos which really showed me this. While we were docked by the largest city there, I looked at some water by the dock and I saw garbage in the water. And not too far off I saw an iguana swimming and there were also some sea lions. What if one of them got caught in it and drowned? They seemed as if they were smart enough to stay away from it, but still... That's their habitat. Instead of trying to find a trash can (which wasn't a very long walk) they just decided to throw the garbage into the water.

Also, we were waiting on a dock to catch a bus to the airport and there were tons of people there. There was also an iguana walking on the dock and it wasn't really bothering anyone or anything. Then, this kid came up and started throwing rocks and sticks at it. The poor iguana was on the edge of the dock and didn't really have a lot of places to go to avoid getting hit. I don't know why but I could almost tell how scared it was. And, I understand that the kid was just a kid, but what really bugged me was that his mom wasn't telling him to stop, but just laughing with her friends about how adorable the fact that her kid was throwing stones at a defenseless animal!

I don't believe humans are monsters and don't deserve help. The people suffering around the world? Yes, I would donate to them in a heartbeat, and I do so as much as I can. But I would also donate to the animals in a heartbeat because I feel that they also suffer a lot because of things that people have done. All in all, I don't think either of them trumps the other.

Personally I think this planet would be better without Humans messing it up with wars and global warming. Many disgraceful people keep hunting down endangered animals for food, cloths and even sport. But some people have the kindness and decency to actually do something about it. And I know that some people from different countries are suffering from things like starvation and diseases. However if you think about it different species are going extinct because of disgraceful Human behavior and if we don't make better cloning machines (that can clone animals from a tiny bit of the bone or something like that) then those animals will remain extinct for ever. If I had £1000 I would put half for both Humans and animals but if I did want to give extra money away then I would give it to the animal charity.

hey if all the animals die, we all become vegetarian :]

No animals = less production of waste and carcasses = less fertile deposits of soil = less production of vegetation.

My thousand would definitely go to an animal cause. But then, I do work at the Humane Society!