Cavedragon49990

Baking

A NOTE TO MODS: This is not a duplicate of the Cooking thread. It's a simple thread of things you like to eat that are baked. And if you feel like it, post what you can bake.

I can bake cookies, cake and corn bread/muffins. I like eating bread, cookies, cake, corn bread/muffins, and pretzels.

Couldn't baking just go under cooking? :\ I mean it is basically cooking, it's just a method.

I consider baking a bit different from cooking myself. :\ Cooking usually requires you to check in frequently/stand over what you're making. Baking just requires you to set it and forget it.

...That said, the only things I can make from scratch are pan de muertos, a little 1-minute brownie in the microwave, and blueberry muffins. <w< everything else is from a box.

Huh, just saw this was already made. Well, as I said in the cooking thread, I thought baking was sort of like a cooking sub-category like frying or raw-food preparation.

That being said, baking definitely isn't my specialty. I hate timers, so I prefer to just stand there and watch until it's perfect. Having an oven door between me and my creation is kind of like getting between a bear and her cubs.

Baking is science. You can't just throw in random stuff until it tastes good like you can with other foods. It's very precise.

Therefore, I'm bad at it.

O_o then how come so much of what little I've baked has turned out good...*Mando must be broken*

If you follow a recipe it's fine. If you forget one ingredient or put in too much or too little of another ingredient, generally it's going to taste terrible or just not work out. Baking is chemistry!

I rarely use recipes, even when baking. I have a sixth sense that tells me what should taste good together and not and in what amounts. I haven't used a cookbook since probably sixth or seventch grade, with the exception of home ec in high school

I bake all the time. Unfortunately, I try to eat healthy so the people I know get bombarded with delicious baked goods all the time.

I used to just make stuff from boxed mixes, but that's not much fun because each batch tastes exactly like all the others. Now, I like to experiment with flavors in my baking and I love decorating the goods the best. Christmas is best because I get super ambitious about ginger bread cookies. I put a layer of icing on them then paint delicate details on them using paintbrushes and food coloring. They're my gift giving staple, and it's always grattifying to hear people compliament my work.

If you follow a recipe it's fine. If you forget one ingredient or put in too much or too little of another ingredient, generally it's going to taste terrible or just not work out. Baking is chemistry!

Not always. There's a lot of baking terminology (soft peaks anyone?) that you have to learn from someone that already knows what it means. Plus a lot of it is about feel and intuition. Just following a recipie *can* work really well.... and it can also fail quite badly. Even just a small amount of human error - or the slight difference between your oven and the one the person writing the recipies used - can cause it to turn out terribly.

That said there is an element of "baking is science" to it. Perhaps 'baking is alchemy' might be more appropriate.

I love baking with a passion, and plan to eventually become a baker.

I mostly make cookies (never the same type twice), but lately, I've been experimenting with a lot of pies and cakes. The pie part isn't going so good, though... =/

I'm also starting an internship at a specialty cake shop in a few weeks biggrin.gif

When my grandma bakes bread she never uses a recipe. She doesn't even measure the ingredients, she just mixes it until it looks and tastes right, let's it rise, then bakes it. Best bread ever.

Baking is fun...but I'm HORRIBLE at it. I DID bake a cake from scratch, once, and it didn't cave in or anything...it was really good. But that was purely because my mom saved me from screwing it up over a million times XD It would be much like this:

Me: *Is about to add something*

Mom: WAIT. NO. You add THIS, not that!

Me: *Stares at mixture* ...uuum...

Mom: *Takes out what I'm supposed to add* Put this in it.

She was there for most of the time, making sure I didn't add pepper or maple syrup by accident.

But cooking is more of my thing than baking XD

I stick with cookies mostly, but i have two cake type brownie recipes that I make occasionally- They are way too calorie intensive for my weight control plan tongue.gif

I bake much too much, I almost feel responsible for the fat times around Christmas my family has.

I love making gingerbread, shortbred, cookies, haystacks, sugar cookies, cookies, cake in a box mixes, cupcakes from scratch, cupcakes from cake mix, pies, butter tarts, bread, brownies, cheese biscuits, etc.

I got a Christmas cookbook from one of those Scolastic book order thingy's a while ago and I really want to try making this Christmas Log because it looks so good...

I also want to make Kringle this christmas and well eat it or send it to my cousins in Alberta. biggrin.gif

But I really enjoy eating my creations so I really want to become a chef or baker some day...

But I love adding cinamon to almost every cookie I make....usually it doesn't turn out bad but sometmes I make my cookies too hard so that's not really the spice's fault...

Has anyone ever made almond cookies from scratch? if you use the right amount of almond extract they are to die for. Too much extract though and your screwed

And puffed wheat squares are really good too if you make them in the morning and put one in your lunch... /junk food obsession

Has anyine ever made a sponge cake? I helped my mom once when I was like 4 and it seemed like it took forever!

I like baking more than cooking, as I tend to be more successful in this part of the playing field. Though I don't really know so many recipes, most of the time it's spnge cake (I think that's what it's called?), a variant of that with cinnamon, cardamon and carnation, a kind os syrup cookies, chocolate cake and chocolate muffins.

Chocolate muffins are actually quite popular now, as my sister likes them a lot.

I've never liked choclate, making me the weirder of my friends but the one who got kissed up to every Halloween tongue.gif

But I almost never use frosting on my cupcakes because I end up eating the remains of it or totally loading it up. xd.png

I'm horrible at baking. :<

The only things I can bake are breads, cakes, cupcakes, brownies, cookies, and... that's it. I can make lasagna, too, I guess. :U

Apparently my brownies are the best, but I don't taste it. They taste like regular brownies to me!

I'm rather fond of my chocolate chip cookies - giant, larger-than-adult-palm, bursting with chocolate chips. <3 And the dough is love.

I like making cookies and brownies.... of course, only about half of that mix is going into baking :b

I like making cookies and brownies.... of course, only about half of that mix is going into baking :b

That reminds me of someone I know.

I haven't baked anything in ages (since I learnt to make chocolate chip cookies in high school!).

I usually buy all my baked goods from the bakery now or a supermarket.. though I would love to bake foods again

Most of the things I've ever baked came out of The Redwall Cookbook.

Because I love the Redwall books, and always wanted to eat what the characters ate.

The first thing I ever baked was a blackberry and apple cake. I botched it. Put in way to much salt. The second time, though, it was pretty good.

So cooking/baking is fun for me, though I don't do it as often as I wish I could.

I love to bake (and cook) but when I do I like to make various kinds of bread and cakes, though no cupcakes though as personally just don't like them. Though my all time favorites to bake are without a doubt choux buns.