Pages: (4) « First ... 2 3 [4]  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Taxidermy, aww yeahhh
TheCompleteAnimorph
Posted: Mar 4 2017, 05:31 PM

Mystic Eyes of Depth Perception

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,805

I never realized how long birds' necks were until I saw that ._.
grimace
Posted: Mar 4 2017, 06:07 PM

Level 8

Member No.: 58,627

QUOTE (TheCompleteAnimorph @ Mar 4 2017, 06:31 PM)
I never realized how long birds' necks were until I saw that ._.

[HONKS OMINOUSLY]
user posted image
TheCompleteAnimorph
Posted: Mar 11 2017, 08:04 PM

Mystic Eyes of Depth Perception

Member No.: 10,805

I dunno if it's exactly taxidermy, but my boyfriend and I bought a mounted Madagascan Sunset Moth in a glass frame to hang on the wall. It's really pretty.
rampaging wyvern
Posted: Mar 12 2017, 06:12 AM

'Brachydios' means 'trouble'.

Member No.: 185,615

C. rhipheus, right? I have one too, a male. I should move it out to where it catches light better and isn't dwarfed by the atlas moth I put next to it...

Taxidermy, by definition, is 'the art of preparing and mounting the skin of animal', 'taxis' = arrangement, 'derma' = skin. So the preservation of insects doesn't fall under that. Nor do articulations, wet specimens, mummifications...

I just refer to 'preserving an animal, whole or partial, with any method' as taxidermy because I'm lazy.

I finished off articulating another rainbow lorikeet today, posed in flight with a dried and partially defleshed left wing. Tomorrow, when I have better lighting, I'll be able to take some photos of it.
Seghs
Posted: Mar 20 2017, 05:53 PM

Level 3

Member No.: 220,431

I like taxidermy, but I prefer skeletons, skulls, etc.

http://i.imgur.com/4okGUbV.png ~Linked for size~
Here's an american mink that I articulated! He was my very first articulation, he's got some flaws but I'm proud of him.

I honestly don't understand people's issue with it. Natural deaths are honestly one of the most cruel ways to die. Animals seldom lay down and peacefully go to sleep and pass, they're eaten alive by other animals, spend hours on the side of the road slowly dying after being hit by a car, dying of starvation or disease, etc. I can't comprehend how people can consider that more humane than a quick dispatch by a hunter/trapper. dry.gif

As for the respect part, I find it much more respectful to preserve, remember and love the animal than to just toss it in a hole to rot and be forgotten or incinerate it until it's unrecognizable dust.

Also not sure where people are getting the "They're only killed for taxidermy" thing. If you actually look up hunting/trapping laws in most states it's illegal to kill an animal for a trophy, you NEED to use as much of it as you can. I don't know anyone who would go out, shoot an elk, and leave all the meat and just take the skin blink.gif

This post has been edited by SockPuppet Strangler on Mar 20 2017, 09:23 PM
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (4) « First ... 2 3 [4] 
Add Reply
New Poll