Powered by Invision Power Board

Welcome Guest, Please Read This.
! Welcome to the Dragon Cave Forums! If you aren't sure what to do, here are a list of recommended locations:

Board Rules
Frequently Asked Questions
Edit Your Profile
Search the Forum

Also, please make sure you read the pinned topics in each forum before posting there, as they contain important information. In addition, if you are signed up on the Dragon Cave, please make your account ID (At the end of your scroll link) visible, either in your profile or your signature.

This box will go away on its own once you reach 10 posts.

Pages: (93) « First ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Sexism
fuzzbucket
Posted: May 6 2012, 01:54 PM
Quote Post

Last time I looked, I wasn't here.

Group: Members
Member No.: 55,386

QUOTE (The Evil Doer @ May 6 2012, 06:48 PM)

When Vogue starts supporting healthy looks/diets and employs models that dont look like they're starving, then it will be a firm statement about changing the industry, "culture" of the industry needs to change for things to actually change, minimum age is just public relations.... Thats how I see it...

That's another part of what they say they plan to do. Time will tell.
PMEmail Poster
Princess Artemis
Posted: May 6 2012, 04:42 PM
Quote Post

Level 11

Member No.: 41,277

I didn't say it was an earth-shattering change, but it is, indeed, a change. Vogue cannot very well dress adolescent girls up like adults if they aren't employing adolescent girls as models, can they?

My point to Layn still stands. It is changing the industry. Changing indicates the process isn't finished yet. It's baby-steps, but we can't see those baby-steps forward and then tell them they should stop taking baby steps because the industry needs to change first >_O
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
fuzzbucket
Posted: May 6 2012, 04:47 PM
Quote Post

From little acorns mighty oaks grow and all that. It's a start. And it is a change.
PMEmail Poster
ylangylang
Posted: May 6 2012, 07:14 PM
Quote Post

Level 10

Member No.: 155,846

I think it's influential because people are actually starting to take responsibility for what their power; namely the power to make people idealize a certain type of body or a certain type of look, which hasn't been done for a long time. The power of the media and of the fashion industry to effectively police what the mainstream idea of beauty should look like shouldn't be overlooked.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2012/...xic_models.html

In her book, “Pricing Beauty,” model-turned-sociologist Ashley Mears wrote about the routine buck-passing that goes on in the fashion industry when questions about size and ethnic diversity come up. Bookers and editors and designers all blame each other for deciding what kind of female beauty is the right kind of female beauty.

“Designers want them to look a certain way,” one magazine editor tells Mears, blaming them for making models so skinny.

“We take who the agencies give us,” a designer explains, passing the buck along to booking agencies. “If they only choose that kind of waif, tall figure that that’s what we’ve got to choose from.”

“34-24-34 is the ideal size,” a booker says. “I have no idea where that came from. Of course I don’t like that.”

And round and round it goes, and the quest for edginess pushes the “look” to ever bonier extremes, and no one is willing to step forward and say, “Enough.” Amazingly, this week, Vogue did just that.
PMEmail Poster
Layn
Posted: May 6 2012, 07:41 PM
Quote Post

Eevees are awesome!

Member No.: 9,094

QUOTE (Princess Artemis @ May 6 2012, 04:42 PM)
I didn't say it was an earth-shattering change, but it is, indeed, a change. Vogue cannot very well dress adolescent girls up like adults if they aren't employing adolescent girls as models, can they?

My point to Layn still stands. It is changing the industry. Changing indicates the process isn't finished yet. It's baby-steps, but we can't see those baby-steps forward and then tell them they should stop taking baby steps because the industry needs to change first >_O

My problem is that the changes they are making have no effect towards their intended goal. None whatsoever. Changing what age models are allowed to start working will have no effect on anorexia in people younger than sixteen. None. I'm not saying changes shouldn't be made, I'm saying that this is in no way helpful towards what they say they're doing. This isn't a baby step. It's a publicity stunt.

If their intended goal was doing away with exploiting children for teh sake of fashion, sure. I'd approve of this as a first step. But since their "intended goal" is reducing anorexia in younger people... no. This won't have that effect.
PMEmail PosterMSN
Syaoransbear
Posted: May 6 2012, 08:16 PM
Quote Post

That's a clean burning hell, I tell you what

Member No.: 17,310

What do we need models for? Can't they just pull anyone off the street to wear their clothes? Wouldn't the fashion industry benefit more from putting their clothes on average people instead of people who look nothing like their typical customer and are so photoshopped that the final result is a person who isn't even real? I don't understand why it's called the 'fashion' industry when they are more concerned about the hanger than the clothes.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMSN
ylangylang
Posted: May 6 2012, 08:17 PM
Quote Post

Level 10

Member No.: 155,846

Vogue magazines will not work with models under the age of 16 or who appear to have an eating disorder. They outline the importance of models who both appear healthy and “help to promote a healthy body image.”

So they are doing sth to combat eating disorders. And it's not like a person under 14 will suddenly stop regurgitating by force two weeks before they decide to enter Vogue so...I think it actually does try to combat eating disorders.
PMEmail Poster
Layn
Posted: May 6 2012, 08:44 PM
Quote Post

Eevees are awesome!

Member No.: 9,094

what was originally said was that they were only hiring models who were older than 16, nothing about "no one who appears to have an eating disorder"
PMEmail PosterMSN
Princess Artemis
Posted: May 6 2012, 09:13 PM
Quote Post

Level 11

That isn't so, Layn. http://shine.yahoo.com/fashion/vogue-bans-...-235800554.html is the first link posted in this thread about it, several pages and days ago. It has the same info about them not hiring people under 16 and who look like they have eating disorders.

This post has been edited by Princess Artemis on May 6 2012, 09:14 PM
Vhale
Posted: May 7 2012, 10:10 AM
Quote Post

Tortured Nebula Breeder

Member No.: 40,693

There was a hilarious stunt in Berlin where some pranksters made some huge Photoshop pallettes and put them on some subway posters to highlight the shopping. Unfortunately, the american site where I had read it doesn't seem to carry the article anymore. There's just some stuff left in the cache. This just shows a little piece of it.

http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/images/gal...dd15418e2_o.jpg

http://gizmodo.com/5130163/photoshopped-su...posed-in-berlin

As far as the boys and appropriate color thing, my nephew's favorite colors were bright green and yellow. Especially yellow. his dad told him it was not an appropriate color o.O. Pfft, we buy him yellow stuff anyway. He had really wanted a bright yellow car. His mom had one and he loved it. It did make him sensitive about the colors though.
PMEmail Poster
Terahlyanwe
Posted: May 7 2012, 12:15 PM
Quote Post

Level 2

Member No.: 190,558

I have always liked colors that were "gender-innapropriate" for myself, such as red, blue,, gray. I generally dislike the "gender-appropriate" colors, and was rather dissed on for it for much of my younger life. Stereotypes are dumb.

PM
Bardess
Posted: May 7 2012, 02:03 PM
Quote Post

Level 4

Member No.: 55,271

QUOTE (Vhale @ May 7 2012, 05:10 PM)
There was a hilarious stunt in Berlin where some pranksters made some huge Photoshop pallettes and put them on some subway posters to highlight the shopping. Unfortunately, the american site where I had read it doesn't seem to carry the article anymore. There's just some stuff left in the cache. This just shows a little piece of it.

Love it!

I googled it in German to see whether there was any more and found this thread.
PM
Princess Artemis
Posted: May 7 2012, 02:09 PM
Quote Post

Level 11

QUOTE (Vhale @ May 7 2012, 07:10 AM)

That's fantastic. Heh.
Kestra15
Posted: May 7 2012, 03:10 PM
Quote Post

Did someone call for a nurse?

Member No.: 25,697

QUOTE (Bardess @ May 7 2012, 07:03 PM)
Love it!

I googled it in German to see whether there was any more and found this thread.

Fantastisch.
diannethegeek
Posted: May 9 2012, 02:49 PM
Quote Post

Level 9

Member No.: 52,705

This is 2012, right? I haven't wandered back in time a century or two?

http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattlepolitics/...-right-to-vote/

But at no point have remarks approached those made in a recent sermon by Rev. Peterson, a champion of the Tea Party movement, who declared:

“I think that one of the greatest mistakes America made was to allow women the opportunity to vote.  We should’ve never turned this over to women. And these women voting are the wrong people.  They’re voting in people who are evil who agree with them, who’re gonna take us down this pathway of destruction.

“And this probably was the reason they didn’t allow women to vote when men were men.  Because men in the old days understood the nature of women.  They were not afraid to deal with it.”
PMEmail Poster
KageSora
Posted: May 9 2012, 02:52 PM
Quote Post

The key to beginning again lies before yet beyond the end.

Member No.: 3,018

QUOTE (diannethegeek @ May 9 2012, 02:49 PM)
This is 2012, right? I haven't wandered back in time a century or two?

http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattlepolitics/...-right-to-vote/

Doesn't surprise me. They've said things like "college students shouldn't vote, they're voting for the wrong people--they vote liberal" before.

Basically, anybody who votes for anybody but them is "voting for the wrong people".

It's sad and pathetic that they'd say something like that, but it doesn't surprise me one bit...

Ugh. Idiots, the lot of 'em. -_-' I swear some of these people timetraveled out of the past.
PMEmail PosterAOLMSN
Princess Artemis
Posted: May 9 2012, 02:58 PM
Quote Post

Level 11

That is one spectacular dimbulb.
TikindiDragon
Posted: May 9 2012, 02:59 PM
Quote Post

Quis Custodet Ipsos Custodes?

Member No.: 11,983

Yeah, even I can't make that one make sense. Just, really, what?
PM
Syaoransbear
Posted: May 9 2012, 11:01 PM
Quote Post

That's a clean burning hell, I tell you what

Member No.: 17,310

Anyone ever notice how when a man agrees with his wife or does what she says, he's 'whipped' while when a woman acts obedient to her husband it's just normal?
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMSN
fuzzbucket
Posted: May 10 2012, 09:43 AM
Quote Post

QUOTE (Syaoransbear @ May 10 2012, 12:01 AM)
Anyone ever notice how when a man agrees with his wife or does what she says, he's 'whipped' while when a woman acts obedient to her husband it's just normal?

Ve not allow zis in MY house.

Ve take turns winning. Saves time xd.png
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (93) « First ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll