Elnath

ANSWERED:Inappropriate advertisements

Posted (edited)

Hi, not sure who to contact about this. 

I've been getting some ads on the site that are rather, uh. Racy. And today I got an ad with a photo of animal cruelty. (from PETA) I'm not sure I can describe them or show screenshot without violating forum rules. 

This is a site that children use so I have some concerns. Also *I* don't want to see them.

Don't say it's based on browsing history because I haven't looked at anything that relates to these things. Possibly someone else on my network has?

Anyway, I am not sure who to report this to, so I'm posting it here in the hopes of some guidance or whatever. Thanks.

Edited by w0rmg0d

This same issue was covered in this topic.

DC has no control over which ads are displayed. Responsibility lies with the advertising service.

I would recommend either buying a subscription to DC to go ad-free, and/or to use an adblocker. I'd argue the modern web generally isn't safe - for kids or anyone else - without a reliable adblocker. There's only so much indvidiual site owners can do.

Yeah, also you can hit the "x" if there is one on the ad.

Posted (edited)

On 5/8/2024 at 6:51 AM, seventeendeer said:

This same issue was covered in this topic.

DC has no control over which ads are displayed. Responsibility lies with the advertising service.

I would recommend either buying a subscription to DC to go ad-free, and/or to use an adblocker. I'd argue the modern web generally isn't safe - for kids or anyone else - without a reliable adblocker. There's only so much indvidiual site owners can do.

And the site could not choose to partner with a different advertising service?

If not to protect kids or users' sensibilities, then what is the purpose of restricting dragon names, forum topics, etc? You don't see the problem with advertisements going against the site's own terms? 

Edited by w0rmg0d

I'll repeat what I said in the other topic -

Ads are controlled by google, not by DC, and are generally based on browsing history or completely random if google isn't allowed to collect that data from you. Any other ad service would be much the same. I wish the site could be run without ads, but it can't.

There is a little x in the upper corner of each ad where you can request not to see that ad again or change your ad settings.