Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CryptidPossum

Hello!

Hi! I'm CryptidPossum, my friend introduced me to the game awhile ago and I figured I would finally join the forums! I love to draw and take care of my little bedroom garden (especially my new carnivorous plant babies)!

Hello and welcome! Ooh, which kinds of carnivorous plants do you have? I'm trying to track down some Venus Fly Traps once they come in season!

@purpledragonclaw Thank you!! I've god a nepenthes hybrid, two Humpty Doo sundews about to flower, a butterwort I can't remember the name of, and an all red venus fly trap! They're very fun to keep and they're growing super fast for me, I hope you can find some! The flytrap is the second slowest growing after the nepenthes, but it's still put out three new traps in the last month (the sundews and butterwort are growing like weeds) so it's fun to watch their progress :3
(the poor pitcher had humidity issues the first day and dropped most of her pitchers, and I'm gonna try to get the humpty doos to color up in stronger light, but they're all growing well)

Are you looking for the iconic flytrap or one of the variants?

20210509_225219.jpg

20210509_225303.jpg

20210509_225422.jpg

20210509_225542.jpg

@CryptidPossum I'm looking for the common fly trap, though I've never seen it in red before! You also have the pitcher plant! I've heard those were hard to grow, if you could find them.

How old are your plants? They look really healthy. That top plant doesn't look carnivorous at all, it just looks like a succulent.

@sh20000sh Thank you! I am a simple collector with the hopes of growing my room into a jungle X3

@jJedi_Master_1 Thank you! I can't wait to explore and meet new people! :D

@purpledragonclaw I wish you luck finding one! They're so much fun to keep, though watering is a hassle (most tap water isn't safe, they need distilled/RO water). And yeah! They can be kinda picky when it comes to humidity (all but one pitcher dropped as a result) but if you gradually acclimate them, they can do pretty well with no special treatment, especially the hybrids because they're a lot more tolerant. I just baby mine though so she's living in an aquarium with a mini humidifier and I've been rewarded with two new leaves. They're a lot more common than people think though, especially online, though a few people have stories of finding some at like home depot.

The pitcher plant is two months, the rest one month. After the initial mistake with the pitcher, all of them have exploded with growth and even started to flower, so I'm super proud of them! And yeah, the butterwort looks almost identical to some of the succulents I've got on my windowsill, but the leaves are sticky like flypaper. They mostly eat small flies and gnats so they aren't as obvious as the others.