coo_

Fellow birdwatchers?

Saw the weirdest bird yesterday.

Okay, maybe it's not weird, but I've never seen it before. It was tiny, black body with a little bit of yellow/white on the back of the head and shoulders. Its song was like robots talking.

In other news, while the mourning doves abandoned my house's nest, American Robins moved into my grandma's house. They're right by the door, convenient for peeking at the nestlings. I've seen three babies so far, not sure if there are any more.

The house martins returned to my parents' place again this weekend! They had some rebuilding to do on their nests, because the eurasian tree sparrows used them a lot this winter so some of them were broken. It was nice seeing them again!

There are lots of trees around my house and a big river downhill, and right now all of it is practically buzzing with feathery bodies and chirping. Plenty of swans and various geese by the river, and big flocks of Bramblings in the trees, which I have mixed feelings about. See, I think Bramblings are pretty-looking, but their song not so much. It's rather "shriek"-ish.

I heard a Song thrush the other day, though. Beautiful. Around here that's definitely a spring bird, along with the Redwing thrush.

I'm secretly a birder. Nobody really knows about my obsession. I saw what I thin was, a Prairie Falcon ( or perhaps a male American Kestrel ) in my neighborhood. Canadian geese have started to nest in our area as well. The Sandpipers are yelling their heads off like crazy (as per usual), I have yet to see any osprey, but they're around. (Theres a nest by a large ranch we drive past) Robins are happy, and I saw a smol fluffy juvenile that looked like he just learned how to fly the other day. I've also seen some large brown birds of prey around. They might be a juvenile bald eagle. (They were way too big to be an osprey)

So many house sparrows. Tons of them, as well as a lot of robins and redwing blackbirds. All three of them are so common, but I hope I can spot some rarer birds on my way to school this summer!