sapphiredragon73

Saph arts sometimes

Crits: Try putting some wing-spines off the elbow joint, i recently started doing that and it makes them look nicer in my opinion.

Ah, but the dragon does have a "wing spine" aka a thumb with a claw. It's small, but it's there.

…Wait, elbow joint? blink.gif Some artists do it, but for the most part it doesn't make sense to have an elbow bone jutting out of, well, your elbow. The advantage of bat-like wings is flexibility.

Anatomy-wise, you'll have to ask Ayesthine; though I think there's something funky with the chest and tummy. The belly's too barrel-shaped to be a western.

Dragnilu- I love those movies too! Unfortunately, I don't think I'm going to draw Toothless, because I would hate to mess him up and I don't think I'm willing to screw up his image in my head by doodling him. Perhaps one day. Feel free to request something else though.

Fangtail- Thanks for the crit; I used to put wing fingers at the elbow as well, but I moved away from that a while back. I think I prefer not having one there.

Mage- Thanks! I'll work on the barrel thing, haha

Meanwhile, have a wyvern?

user posted image

Edited by sapphiredragon73

oh no i'm afraid i cannot give any crits bc i don't know anything about dragons and their anatomy i barely know anything abt human anatomy but your drawings are super cool, keep it up!! ; o ; i love all the diverse poses you do ahh experimenting is always gr8 <33

On the blue Dragon the wings are off. They are like a bat's wings. see here They are difficult I know I get the structure but the muscle tone (for dragons can't fly without some muscle) eludes me. The third bone looks too close to the other two and doesn't quite match up with the third point where the wing spikes before curving back to the body.

Spikes on the wings is common for waverens, not so much for western Dragons, although some have a small "thumb" joint. Smaug and the monsterus nightmare are among those with missing forearms, so they have "fingers" to grip onto things and help balance on the ground. If this helps any. I have a dragon collection and have done some extensive reading on them, I draw them well, but not as good as anyone on here.

Edited by AroaraAngelwolf

Since we're sharing pictures, why not some pictures of actual bats?

Also, mad pecs. Bats' (and birds') flight is powered through the chest muscles rather than the muscles in the arm itself (which is why I personally prefer to draw wing-arms really bony). The smaller pecs controlling the dragon's arms would probably sit above the bigger pecs powering the wings. Double the pecs, double the fun!

When it comes to spikes/fingers on wings, I default to pterosaur wings where the wings only have one wing-finger -- the pinky. So the dragon has more fingers to grab things with!

Cool, thank you very much for the crits smile.gif i definitely struggle with wings and am constantly working on it.

Edit for ninja post:

Ah Mage thanks for the bat muscles, haha they actually help a lot; I haven't been able to find any good references for muscling with wings.

Also bats look really weird without skin

Will work on everything for the next weekish betwixt my classes and see how I do, thank y'all very much fo the crits

Ah, p.s. Saph, I saw that the dragon is an adoptable. Therefore I think you should ink it to make the best that it can be! happy.gif The sketch lines make it look messy at the moment, but I understand that you're still trying to fix up the anatomy.

The Wyvern's nice (and I love the colored version! :0), but doesn't it look like it's about to tip forward? Too front-heavy, perhaps, or it's not upright enough. Don't forget to apply center of balance to dragons as well. (I know the lift of the wings compensates somewhat, but from the body proportions it really feels like it should have front feet…)

Edit for ninja edit: No problem! And yeah, most things look weird without skin. xd.png

Edited by TehUltimateMage

Maybe I'll practice lineart on the blue one and make it prettyful smile.gif

I actually didn't notice the off-balanceness of the wyvern until you pointed it out, though i did contemplate putting front legs on it. I'll definitely keep that in mind next time.

okay then if not toothless how about my favorite dragon Sunsong Amphiptere dragon or gemshard dragon if not the idk what else

d-did someone ask for anatomy crits

oh boy oh man

i looove chattering about 'natomy

I can try to list out some stuff, but if you want more in-depth analysis it might be best to talk to me in like a chatroom or something, I'm no good at most other forms of communication

this is also all my perspective, so feel free to ignore me! although i try to base as much as i can off of real-world animals

- first and foremost I generally draw dragons with a keeled sternum, unless it's a lighter wyvern build (in which case i go for a more bat-like/pterosaur-like pectoral girdle) because it allows for a better anchor point for the pectorals as well as allows for bigger and beefier flight muscles to fit. Taken most of my inspiration from birds because they are buff as heck.

- i have lots of feelings about wings, but i'll try to spare you the intricate details. the main thing is that i draw the first and second wing finger fused together, because that's generally how it appears on bats and it helps keep the leading edge of the wing curved, which helps with flight stuff™

- this isn't relevant to wings but it is relevant to balance: the more vertical a hind leg is the more weight its bearing. this is especially relevant to the calf. lots of people draw animals standing but with legs that look like they're crouching, i.e. the calf is almost horizontal to the ground. most large quadrupeds have very straight-up-and-down hind legs.

here's a scribbly thing i drew up last night (lots of stuff is off sorry)

your dergs are good so far though 👌 👌 you've got the right idea

i dig that painting of the green wyvern a lot too like wow

Ayes-Yes, thanks so much, I'll definitely try and incorporate the keel and the hind leg and wing thing in next time. I had no idea that bats' fingers were fused, haha that's actually pretty cool.

And thanks so very much for the dragon scribble; it was actually super helpful in getting your points across (guess I'm more of a visual person)

yee I will doodle more and if you wanna you can feel free to come back anytime and chat with me on anatomy more please

Thank you thank you <3

And dragnilu- I will get on that sunsong smile.gif

Well, I made something. user posted image

The character belongs to Verridith and is not to be used my anyone else.

Now time to doodle up a few of my own charries...

I promise I'm not dead (yet)

user posted image

user posted image

THAT DOG LOOKS E X A C T L Y LIKE MINE IM SCREAMGN

okayokay I'm calm

You're very good.

Is that doggo a chuweenie?

Thank youu!

Moar arts:

Nhaeli, one of my newer chars

user posted image

Fryhna, Nhaeli's to-be rider

user posted image

And a Lionerberess, done as a request for a friend

user posted image

If you take these designs I will hunt you down and hurt you. Just don't.

Petty white dragon! And that three headed kitty!

Love your oc!

Speaking of OC I have a request if you're taking them still or at all. First off, could you do a fox? (Not draw one yet. I need to finish the markings XP))

Or if not taking requests, do you know of an artist who can do foxes and is taking requests?

Edited by AroaraAngelwolf

Hey! Thank you!

And sorry, I've got far too much on my plate to do requests at the moment, nor do I recall anyone who is doing requests right now... sorry 'bout that)

EDIT: Whoops I lied. Pi might be taking requests at the moment, but I've no idea if they can draw foxes; feel free to ask, though!

Thank you thank you! smile.gif

It's always wonderful to see your art, although you should not lie it I'll sick Nico Angel to give Vengeance. He'd give him hugs.