Hazel360

John Green

Now, I am not exactly a large fan of John Green's works, but I found some of his books such as Looking For Alaska to be quite enjoyable. TFIOS was a disappointment to me, however, and by the end of it I was mourning the two days I wasted reading it.

So, what do you people think?

Like him, dislike him? Any favourites?

dislike him because of his strange elitist attitude towards nerds?? and how he repeatedly describes popular people as soul less zombies in his novels? and similar to you, TFIOS was like *raspberry noises*. i know a lot of people would disagree with me, but i definitely thought it romanticized cancer? i know of one person who had a friend that wanted to have cancer after watching the movie so she could have a thrilling love story.... u___U smh. and augustus' pretentiousness was not well played at all, and was only poked fun of a few select times in the novel. the

i've read looking for alaska, TFIOS (and seen it too), and probably something else i wish i didn't haha. if you didn't like TFIOS, you might enjoy another humorous book called Me, Earl, and the Dying Girl. c:

Edited by Matmetchi

I'll search that up. Sounds pretty good to me.

I guess both are qualifying factors in my dislike for John Green. Looking for Alaska was only enjoyable until a certain point in the story

*facepalms* and ikr, what's up with people (mostly adolescents) these days? I kinda wonder if any people who suffered from cancer were bothered or not by it. In real life, I'm pretty sure Gus would have been bullied a lot.

I personally knew of a few cancer patkemts who absolutely hated that movie/book. Also a lot of people who were angry about their lovemaking in the Anne Frank house.

I have to agree with the Anne Frank house love scene. Definitely disrespectful, and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be praised for doing that in real life.

I actually loved TFiOS for the quotes and the way it was written. However, I understand what you mean about the story being kinda eh and the romanticized cancer stuff being offensive.

I loved Looking for Alaska, but An Abundance of Katherines wasn't that great. So, he definitely isn't my favorite author but his books are overall pretty good reads. I usually read books that are more like... Saturday by Ian McEwan. Dry humor, beautiful prose. biggrin.gif