georgexu94

Table Tennis (Ping Pong)

How you hold the racket?  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yeah, as pikapooka - i love when i have a chance to play it, but i am terrible at it xd.png (okay once I won an amateur competition but it was a long time ago).

Pen hold? I haven't ever heard about this kind of holding... But it sounds strange biggrin.gif

Sometimes they call penhold the Chinese style; the shake hand is Western.

Well, I think it's racist.

Edited by georgexu94

I love it as as a sport, but I only observe it because I'm terrible when I play. sad.gif

May I ask if any of you know the difference between the black and red side of the racket? In some rackets, the red part has bumps.

I hold everything wierd. I hold a pencil using the tips of all five fingers. I really like table tennis, but I don't have a table. Even if I had one, there isn't enough room in the house.

And I'm still having hard time aiming. I always have the wrong angles. Even if I don't hit the balls hard, I keep on sending them out.

Edited by georgexu94

I don't play ping pong but I know I'd be terrible at it because my "run-the-heck-away-from-objects-flying-towards-me" instincts are through the roof. I'd be ducking out of the way too much to hit the ball!

I still wonder the difference between the red and black side. Some rackets have bumps on the red side. It's always the red side. I'm theorizing that it has something to do with stopping the ball since it's more rubbery.

I like table tennis, though I'm ridiculously bad at it, as well as completely clueless about the rules and stuff. Mostly I just play with my friend in PE because I don't like to do anything else there :3 We're both getting better over time.

I have no idea what my way of holding is called, but I'm told that I hold the racket wrong. Whatever, it works for me. xd.png

lol how do I grammar

Edited by Orlageddon

I have no idea what my way of holding is called, but I'm told that I hold the racket wrong. Whatever, it works for me. xd.png

lol how do I grammar

Erm, describe how you hold it. Maybe they are not familiar with other holds. There's no way of holding the racket wrong, as long as it's efficient. wink.gif

Turns out a little Googling was enough.

So it looks like I don't use either one, but mine is closer to the shakehand grip, only I don't leave my index finger extended but grip the handle with it also. What's the reason for the extended index finger? I find that it just makes me less stable, but maybe I'm just not used to it.

I looked up penhold and wow, that looks uncomfortable. To me, at least. I can't for the life of me figure it out... laugh.gif

I like ping pong. We had ping pong tables at school and we have them at university too, so I sometimes play with friends. I don't know if my way of holding the racket has a name because I was never taught how to play ping pong, so I just applied a bit of what I was taught in tennis classes to it. I tried to hit the ball using a forehand drive (which I guess it's similar to a shake hand hold) a few times, but I'm so used to playing tennis that the ball never landed on the table xd.png So I now play ping pong with two two-handed backhands.

I looked up penhold and wow, that looks uncomfortable. To me, at least. I can't for the life of me figure it out... laugh.gif

Nope, penhold is fine. That's how I hold it. It also gives much advantage once you get use to it. wink.gif

I like ping pong. My sister got a ping pong set for her birthday (two rackets, table-attachable net, three balls) and she and I like to play with it occasionally.

I still wonder the difference between the red and black side. Some rackets have bumps on the red side. It's always the red side. I'm theorizing that it has something to do with stopping the ball since it's more rubbery.

From my experience, the difference between the two sides vary from racket to racket. Pimps can be found on both the red and black side - it really depends.

The point of having one red side and one black side is to allow the opponent to tell which side you are using, making the game more fair. Because differences in rubber creates different spins/speeds, the opponent needs to know which side you are using in order to return the ball the best they can. It would be unfair if someone had two red sides - one without pimps and the other with pimps. This would confuse the opponent, giving the person with two red sides an unfair advantage.

Hopefully I was able to clear some things up for you. I'm not great at explaining things. xd.png

I do have some experience with ping pong though, and (not to boast or anything, but) I'm on the AB provincial team. tongue.gif

From my experience, the difference between the two sides vary from racket to racket. Pimps can be found on both the red and black side - it really depends.

The point of having one red side and one black side is to allow the opponent to tell which side you are using, making the game more fair. Because differences in rubber creates different spins/speeds, the opponent needs to know which side you are using in order to return the ball the best they can. It would be unfair if someone had two red sides - one without pimps and the other with pimps. This would confuse the opponent, giving the person with two red sides an unfair advantage.

Hopefully I was able to clear some things up for you. I'm not great at explaining things. xd.png

I do have some experience with ping pong though, and (not to boast or anything, but) I'm on the AB provincial team. tongue.gif

Erm, how does the pimps affect the spin exactly?

You have not played Table Tennis until thirty of you crowd around a table using hard-back books, pencil cases and your own hand to play "Round the Table."

Or on the side of an Italian mountain with the table on a slant and a sheer drop down one side.

For some reason, ping pong came very naturally to me-- so I started playing it all the time. I played ping pong even when I didn't have anybody to play ping pong with. People said it made me look like a duck in water, whatever that means.

I just love playing ping-pong with my Flexolite ping pong paddle.

For some reason, ping pong came very naturally to me-- so I started playing it all the time. I played ping pong even when I didn't have anybody to play ping pong with. People said it made me look like a duck in water, whatever that means.

I just love playing ping-pong with my Flexolite ping pong paddle.

How do u play ping pong alone? ohmy.gif

I stink at PingPong haha I am usually the person to retrieve the ball when my friends play if it goes off the table which is often haha.

It's fun, but in high school people would be playing ALL in the Senior cafeteria.

Even during study halls so it made it hard to focus.

Not to mention all the jocks would hog it so I never got to play.

I just realised that I was serving the ball the wrong way...