Mikki

ANSWERED:DragCave Phone Application

Would you pay $0.99 for a DragCave application for your iPod or smart phone?  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't know about everyone else, but I often continue to stalk DragCave and it's forums while I'm away. I love using my iPod to keep in touch with what's happening tongue.gif

Sadly, though, there are issues when using your iPod, for example, you can't click on 4/6 caves. (There's been a thread about THIS specific issue before, I recall.) In order to go to any cave besides Alpine and Forest, you have to first click on one of those and THEN click on the cave you want. Simple, but annoying. Depending on how fast your internet connection is, this can cause you to miss rare drops, or the egg you really wanted.

Another issue is that it's really hard to read things in forums. tongue.gif If there was a forums section of the app, it could have the proportions just right so you don't have to zoom in as much as you can just to read a post.

Also, not to mention that when you use some places' WiFi, you have to accept their terms every flipping minute, and some even block dragcave and it's forums, while apps often aren't blocked. (The hospital in my town does q.q)

Personally, I think it would be great to be able to check on my dragons from my iPod or Crackberry, when I simply don't have the time to get on the computer. An app would make this so much easier, plus, MAYBE it could be $0.99? That way DragCave could get some profit off of it as well, but I understand TJ wants DragCave to be a free site, so that probably won't happen.

Maybe if there was a forum part of it, you could upload photos on a forum post from your iPod gallery, and of course the same link option.

But anyways happy.gif Comments, concerns, opinions? Please tell me what you think! If you vote other than "Yes" in the poll, please leave a response saying why.

Example: You choose that you don't want to pay = "I don't want to pay for this because..."

Thanks! <3

Edited by Mikki

I guess the whole question is if TJ is willing/able to code an apple app. I think TJ is the only one who can give a real answer here unless a vast majority of the users post against this idea, and I can't imagine they would.

Aren't most apps with a small fee like $.99? I can't imagine people would object to a tiny one-time fee for the app that would go to support the site, but I guess it depends on TJ.

I guess the whole question is if TJ is willing/able to code an apple app. I think TJ is the only one who can give a real answer here unless a vast majority of the users post against this idea, and I can't imagine they would.

Aren't most apps with a small fee like $.99? I can't imagine people would object to a tiny one-time fee for the app that would go to support the site, but I guess it depends on TJ.

Yea, I didn't think people would mind paying a dollar, but I know (or at least I'm pretty sure) TJ has said before that he wants the site to be free, so I don't know what he'd think about that.

And yea, I know TJ would be the one to code it, so it depends on him, but I don't think he'd bother coding unless quite a few people were for the idea.

I'm sure that people would use it if it was available. Ipod touches and iphones are rather popular.

Is it possible to have two buttons for getting the app, one free and one "donate a dollar to the site and get the app at the same time"?

I'm sure that people would use it if it was available. Ipod touches and iphones are rather popular.

Is it possible to have two buttons for getting the app, one free and one "donate a dollar to the site and get the app at the same time"?

It's not possible to have two buttons, but it's possible to basically put the app on the market twice, once free and once for a price, and people have the option of taking either or both.

Most apps do this and the free version has limited usage or less features, while the paid version you can have forever or has all the features of the game/app.

I would love this so much, but I know (from experience) that apps can be rather difficult to code and might have a few glitches in the beginning. Other than that I would be so happy if this was implemented and would probably pay $0.99 for it tongue.gif

Added a little poll, maybe that'll help tell us who would be willing to pay or not. Please vote!

Thanks for the feedback thus far. <3

If TJ was able to code one, then that would be great and I'm sure most members of DC who have access to it would use it. But it's not really quite as simple as that. xd.png Coding anything, especially in a format that you might not be familiar with, is extremely time consuming and I don't think it's likely that TJ has the time to do a project this big, unfortunately.

If he does, that'd be amazing of course, but it's just a really big thing to ask. If it went ahead though, I'd support it 100% but I'm just not sure how likely it is that TJ has the time and patience to do something like this. smile.gif If he does though, that would be brilliant and I'm sure everyone would love it. tongue.gif But something like this is just really up to him. If he's not on board, it doesn't matter how much support the idea gets.

Edited by StormWizard212

This is a great idea, I've wanted an app for my phone for a while. The website and forums work fine on my phone, but usually apps are more useful. However, I think if an app is going to be made it should be for both iOS and Andriod. I use Andriod.

iff apps would be made, then would be making one for blackberry too an option? i have a blackberry phone.

Developing cost for iOS = $99

Learning the language... a lot of time.

There's already a mobile app, what's the point? Though I wouldn't mind a donate button if this takes off biggrin.gif I've always wanted to donate, but can't as I lack a paypal account. But an in app donation means all I need to do is use existing itunes credit.

Edited by DarkEternity

There isn't already a mobile application, that's the problem. Using your browser on your phone makes the format awkward and you can't even click some things without trouble.

But thank you for the feedback. smile.gif

Edited by Mikki

No matter whether you make an app or a browser, it will still be awkward.

No fullscreen? Then use a browser with fullscreen. Like Mercury. (iOS)

No user agent faker? Then use a browser with a user agent faker. Like Mercury.

No shortcuts? Then use a browser with shortcuts. Like Mercury.

No matter if you've an app or a web browser, you will continue to be troubled by web page popups, because there's a problem with the connection (it's unsecure, etc.) and NOT due to the website. iOS/Mobile users will always be troubled by slow web page loads. I always use the same wifi for my computer and yet my iDevice using the same connection is always slower. Why? Lower RAM, lower processor.

No matter if you're using a web browser or an app a blocked website will always be blocked. You'd still be trying to download stuff from the website. The only way to avoid it would be to use a VPN or proxy, even if we get a web app. Everytime Apple's iOS is updated, TJ will have to update the app as well to ensure compatibility, meaning we might miss out on site events/etc.

Apple also gets a 30% cut of all purchases, by the way. I just want to make sure that TJ won't make a loss (a lot of developers do): http://www.ifans.com/blog/47415/ and our userbase is large enough to ensure that making an app will appeal to enough users that it's not an unnecessary drain of money and resources and time.

EDIT: Oh, I also wouldn't particularly mind if it's ad supported (because if it wasn't, it'd be losing even more money :/)

EDIT2: ehh, about the uploading part... Apple is quite tight with uploading *coughdropboxcough* and images and stuff use up bandwidth, though I guess there's an imageshack uploading app already? D::

EDIT3: Ah, well it might need a few tabs as well :/ I open several dragon pages when I want to fertility/breed

Edited by DarkEternity

I know dragon cave has over 5000 lines of code in it, so it could be possible, as he could code that much. However, coding is very hard (I'm a beginner coder) as what works for one thing doesn't always work for another thing, so I think its possible, but as someone said earlier, time consuming.

Dragon Cave gets over a million page views a day, and if you give each user on average 100 views, thats still 10 thousand people, so I think they'd be enough customers, but maybe you could only charge for it for the first 100 users or so? That way you could pay the cost of development, as well as not charging, I would happily pay a dollar for it, and people with less money could get it for free smile.gif

Or...you could charge money to get an ad free version? That way you get money either from the ads or to remove them smile.gif

I think the main problem with creating the app would be accessing the scroll, and the images loading. I think it would be nar on impossible to be able to see other peoples scrolls via the app, and the lag would be near on impossible. My computer can have problems uploading all the pictures on my scroll, that would be reeally hard on a tablet/phone.

I have already mentioned plans to revamp to existing mobile site to increase usability on smartphones. As such, I don't think there is much benefit in allowing this discussion to continue