TheChosenDarkness

Spriting: A Work In Progress

My fiancee's DA: Legion

My DA: TCD

Please note that I will be using some of my fiancee's images to practice my spriting. biggrin.gif

Original: Toadagon Digi

Current WIP: user posted image

Watch my progress here:

Okay, I finally, finally found my muscles. Which is what I was playing around with before. Just FYI. I now have done this:

user posted image >>> Extra shiny user posted image

Much better, yes? O3O

See, all that work below was just to find the silly muscles. So I could figure out what the light would look like bouncing off of a very muscley frog. tongue.gif

All my work I have done up until this point:

user posted image - Base prototype 1

user posted image - Base prototype 2

user posted image - With Rough Base

user posted image - With Smooth Base

user posted image

user posted image

Edited by TheChosenDarkness

Good start! The smooth ones aren't really sprites though. Not sure about the rough. Also, you have a very confusing or pillow shaded light angle.

Edited by PieMaster

http://bastetcat.deviantart.com/#/d2ot0pu

That is the form I usually use or another similar to it. ^^;

Sorry, I have a habit of trying to find "muscles" instead of lighting. Like, if a muscle was here.. where would the light and shadows be. Kind of like on a horse. I have been doing horse pixeling for so long, that it takes me a while and tweaking to do something different.

I generally have two styles I do:

user posted image

user posted image

Also, I sometimes do a "smooth" pixel technique. Which is similar to: Smooth Pixel

Aha! Found one I usually use when doing horses in a "smooth" technique: Smooth Horse

Any who, I am not 100% happy with either base. >..> I just like how the rough one turned out. Which will probably be re-done and use a similar style. I think I about figured out where the muscles are. Legion drives me crazy with his "over muscle" creatures sometimes. laugh.gif

I just looked at the tutorial. I'm sorry, but smooth pilxeling is not spriting. Spriting is done pixel by pixel.

It's best to start with a light source before shading. Draw a sun if you need to in the light sou4ce. Then, hade the muscl3s and shadows according to the light.

Yes I know. I never said it was. I said I use a "smooth" and "rough" pixel technique. Which helps me find what I need on creatures I haven't worked with before. Most of the time I use horse pixel lines. Which is something I am more comfortable with. xd.png

Needless to say, I finally found my muscles on that thing and done a different and better basing. biggrin.gif

Lol, okay happy.gif Sorry for derping xd.png You're a really good spriter. Keep it up!

I like the shinier of the two new ones the best. The first doesn't have enough contrast.

Thank you and no harm done. xd.png

So do I. I always see Frogs as wet and shiny... so I try to make sure they have a "sheen". xd.png