Silverwingwyvren

Dangerous or Dirty Jobs

I have a dirty/dangerous job if you will, I'm the guy who picks up the road kill off the side of the roads, freeways, hwy, express ways. what about you? you got a dangerous or dirty job or just want one?

Edited by Silverwingwyvren

Nah, hadn't got a job yet and picking up dead road kills must be a disgusting job. -Has a dirty thought- e.e

I suppose, to a certain extent, mine can also fall into both categories. I read meters. Now that might not seem like it's either dirt or dangerous... but I spend all day, every day, going into people's houses. Lots of people's houses. Ever seen 'How Clean Is Your House'? I go into houses like that, and more often than you might think too. Places where your feet stick to the floor and you feel a desperate need to shower when you leave. Places where you hold your breath because the smell is so bad. And, let's face it, unless I'm back in an area I've been in before I'll have *no* idea what kind of person is behind the door - or wether or not we've got a warrant out on them for unpaid bills.

@Tif - It's not all that bad, just have to worry about getting hit myself. Well at one point we picked up a raccoon that was still alive and I got bit on the glove.

@Tiki - You only read the inside meters? Or do you do both?

@Tiki - You only read the inside meters? Or do you do both?

I do both - but over here in the UK it's only houses that have been built within the last 10 years that have external meters. The vast majority are still indoors.

That stinks :/ having to go into bad houses to check the meters. Here their outside and the people who do it have to worry about dogs and crazies xd.png. My dad works for the electric company and he has to worry about crazy ppl.

That stinks :/ having to go into bad houses to check the meters. Here their outside and the people who do it have to worry about dogs and crazies xd.png. My dad works for the electric company and he has to worry about crazy ppl.

We get the crazies too occasionaly. And dogs. But to be honest going into some of the houses is actualy the worst part. That and having to knock on doors really early in the morning because it's almost the only time you can catch some people in.

Oh, gosh. We have the automated meters here, so we don't have meter readers. It sounds awful. The roadkill job sounds kinda fun, though, but I'm weird like that.

@Gos - Welcome fellow weird one xd.png the fun part is when a deer gets hit by a semi and we have to pick up the peices that are every where. I had to fight some buzzereds one time over a dead deer. I know I'm pretty sick so I have heard but hey that's just me things effect each of us in a different way.

My dad used to work in a waste-water treatment plant. He monitored the tank levels, worked the machinery, and drove the sludge trucks. He had 24-hour shift sometimes, too, and had to sleep in the employee bedrooms.

I used to hang out at the plant a lot if my mom had to work when I got out of school. The ladies in the chem lab were really nice.

He also had to be on call while a new facility was being built...which meant he was forced to carry a pager around that risked going off in the middle of the night.

Edited by Jackal

I'm an Intensive Care nurse, and in my off-duty I volunteer as a night-club medic.

Edit: This is my 10,000th post.

Edited by Kestra15

Yeah it might not seem to bad to you but I got a soft spot for animals. That might be one nasty racooon, was it alright?

Some interesting dirty jobs so far. smile.gif

As for me, one of my jobs is mildly dirty, as a research assistant that processes rocks for dating.

Long story short, I take rocks, wash them, dry them, then reduce them to fine sand in two steps, then separate out the lights vs the heavies (a wet process that is fun and gets sand all over unless I'm very careful). Plus a couple of clean steps after. All this to concentrate the little zircon crystals so my boss can date them.

@Kes - oooo that's a good one :3

@Tif - nope I put it out of it misery instead of letting it suffer any more than it already was.

@Stripey - doesn't really sound dirty or dangerous but does sound really cool though biggrin.gif

Edited by Silverwingwyvren

I used to have a (potentially) dangerous job. My job was picking up the unexploded ordinance after bombs were exploded.

Our little town had a LOT of old unexploded ordinance (think, like 50 years old) so every once in a while a few were put into bunkers and exploded. After the air cleared of dust and ashes, we were to walk around looking for shrapnel and pick it up. If we found any unexploded explosive, we were supposed to let the foreman know. It really wasn't BADLY dangerous though, since you do need to have a WAY for it to explode. And we were working in 130 degree heat, in the desert, in Summer. I got heat exhaustion and ended up in the hospital from it.

I want to be a full Emergency Department Registered Nurse.

And I still want to be a night-club medic.

Oh, and work as a medic on Mt Everest.

Messy enough?

I think the night club is essy enough x3

Actually it's the least messy of the three; while it involves a lot of vomit, which is naturally rather messy, I only really have to clean it up when it's on the floor of our room. If a casualty is covered in their own vomit I just give them a blanket to cover up in. Equally if they're lying in a puddle of their own urine (yes, it has happened often) or worse yet decide to soil themselves (again, happened), I only need to clean the FA room. Everywhere else, the cleaners deal with it.

In ICU however, if a patient soils themselves - and with it being Norovirus season, it's even more common and much messier than ever - I have to clean them, the bed, and the bedspace as well. Let alone if they vomit/bleed/urinate/cough up sputum/etc. I really am not exaggerating when I say that on many shifts I will do nothing for 12.5hrs but clean up excrement.

You really don't get much messier than that.

My messiest job was at a barbeque restaurant. I worked in the kitchen, and let me tell you, pulled pork is no fun to work with. It's really greasy, and that grease gets all over the floor. If you slip and fall, you'll reach out to catch yourself... too bad the things that you grab are really, really hot. Not to mention that here in the south most of the barbeque sauces are made with vinegar. The white sauce we used to have was a foul-smelling concoction of vinegar and mayonnaise. I dropped a gallon jug of it once, which busted open in a rather violent way, and I spent an eight hour shift reeking of vinegar mayo. Ick. Burns and grease and stench, oh my!

Kestra, all I can say is thank goodness there are people out there like you. Once, after a long surgery, I had a nurse that asked me over and over again if I felt like I was going to be sick. (Happens a lot after lengthy anesthesia.) I didn't, so I got my red Jell-o and my Sprite. Only after consuming this did I begin to feel ill. The pink puke got all over me, my bed, and the floor. I felt so bad for my nurse that I insisted on helping to clean it up. Bless you for taking care of us fools.

@ Kes - Yeah I can imagine so, I've seen it happen myself and it ain't pretty.

@Mind - You no fool, your stomach just said "Me no wanna!" and pushed it back up.

I like my job picken up the body parts, fighting buzzereds for road kill, ticketing people who hit the canadian geese, smelling days out flesh rotting in the sun in the summer. Its just sad when I find dogs which has kept happening lately sad.gif

@Mind - You no fool, your stomach just said "Me no wanna!" and pushed it back up.

I guess that makes my stomach the fool then? I still felt bad because I assured the nurse repeatedly that I was not going to barf.

I like my job picken up the body parts, fighting buzzereds for road kill, ticketing people who hit the canadian geese, smelling days out flesh rotting in the sun in the summer. Its just sad when I find dogs which has kept happening lately  sad.gif

One of my best friends in high school would loudly exclaim, "Look, a piece of carpet!" any time we drove past road kill because she didn't want it to be an animal. I always tell myself it's a possum. I has strong dislike for those ugly buggers.

Its always an animal or tire. One time some one hit a black bear and that thing had to have weighed 250 to 300 pounds.

Possums are some tricky little guys, the playing dead thing works until you pick them up then theres problem. But the babies are cute you can't hate them x3