Sweet_Wyvern

Redwall: A Time of Darkness

((Alright, I think we need to pause the RP for a moment. There's only two of us, plus Sylverfinger who has disappeared. How can we get more RPers for this? I don't want to go any farther without at least one more person.))

((That's why I was hesitant to create this because only those who've read the books will join and that's a small window.))

((Bump? It's sad that literary topics die, but hey, I guess they do. I suppose if some people spontaneously join we can keep going. Unless however you wish to continue with just you and I? In which case I'm up for it, and maybe people will join then. You don't have to follow the RP if you dont want to))

((Then let's give it a go))

The badger ruler did not speak when the hare alerted him of their departure arrangements. He didn't have to; the hare dismissed himself. As soon as he'd left the badger lord/lady closed the door and returned to his private forge. For a moment he/she sat still, enjoying the calm before the storm. Then they stood and began selecting armor.

Pralia had arranged everyone into groups of 5, each creature taking a turn at some form of defense. A group of moles was haphazardly shooting no-tip arrows everywhere. Another group was trying to learn sword fighting, but only managing to give themselves splinters with the sticks they continued to wack each other with. Pralia smacked a paw to her forehead after seeing this and set the cauldron down on the grass. "Listen up you lot!" She called. A misguided arrow whizzed past her ear, turning her glare upon a very shamefaced young mole. He scuffled his foot paws quietly and tugged his snout in an apologetic gesture. "Alright, listen. Archers, shoot arrows at targets, not in the air," she explained, gesturing to the hay bales that had been set up. "Swordsbeasts, do not just whack each other. Try and parry each other's blows." There was some quiet murmuring before they all got back to work again. Pralia shook her head and resumed climbing the stairs with the cauldron.

Fern shook her head, watching another arrow whizz by her head before Pralia stepped in. Her pa was right; these poor Redwallers certainly weren't fighting beast. She looked over the wall, eyes wishing but understanding. "Hurry back Pa." She turned back and helped Pralia up the steps with the couldron. "Ya really shoulda asked me to help ye, Pralia." She said with a sight smile.

Pralia gladly let Fern take the cauldron, standing back up and stretching. "Its fine, I managed," she replied. As always the view from the wall top was spectacular. "So I was thinkin', if they try to climb up the wall or break down the door we dump hot water on them," she explained, patting the cauldron to make her point. "I think it's been done before... I never did pay attention in Abbey school."

((I'll post with Krazka soon))

"Pa said it has been done, only with oil." Fern said, looking in the pot then at the wall. "Treesap, Justive!"

"Aye?" The two twin otters walked up lightly, looking at Fern respectfully.

"I need this pot moved directly above the gate, then a fire built, but not lit. We're doing the old dump and burn." Fern said, watching the two smile slyly and get to work. "These to are my best inventors; they'll have this set up in no time.

~~~~~~~~~~~

The hares mounted up outside, forming row upone row of deadly force. The special group, the Long Patrol, were out in front. Generals went around, checking on the young hares and old. "Fix that stance, soldier, or I'll wear your guts for garners!" The young buck did as he was told, eyes forward.

Now, all was to do, was wait for the old badger lord/lady and they could depart.

Username: En'K'Haral

Character Name: Morgotha Swiftblade

Species: Fox

Noticeable Markings: Scars criss-cross his body and face making his red pelt look a little patchy. He is also missing his left eye.

Accessories: He wears an eyepatch and a choker made of various animal teeth. Aside from that he wears an unusual armor made from bands of metal riveted to leather linked at the joints with sections of chain-mail. He does not wear any headgear to accompany this.

Weapon of choice: He favours the halberd, but is acquainted with pole-arms in general.

Personality: Unlike other foxes who rely heavily on their wits he relies heavily on his skill. Although he has wits aplenty and isn't shy with his insults to subordinates. He is very loyal to Krazka and despite the traitorous nature of foxes he wouldn't dream of betraying his commander. Double crossing others however he has little issue with, and he isn't afraid to get his hands dirty.

Rank Wanted: El Capitan

Anything Else: He is called Swiftblade because of the ease he wields his halberd with.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Username: En'K'Haral

Character Name: Conya Stoutarm

Species: Hare

Noticeable Markings: A scar on her left cheek from some kind of mace.

Accessories: She wears a pair of small hoop earrings, on her left ear is a copper one and on her right a silver one.

Weapon of choice: Two-handed greatblade, although she does keep a pair of twin long-knives for when the greatblade is impractical.

Personality: Although a jolly beast at heart she is definitely rough and rowdy. Happy to get into a brawl with any beast willing to get bruised and bashed up for little or no reason at all. However, she knows when to quit and when things have gone too far, after all it's all in good fun.

Rank Wanted: Long patrol regular.

Anything Else: She is an avid drinker so make sure you get yours before she arrives.

((Hope these are alright happy.gif))

Edited by En'K'Haral

((Ha ha! I like it, especially miss Conya. Both accepted, jump on in!))

Pralia nodded admiringly as the two otters bore the cauldron away. Turning back to the road, she sighed and leaned on the battlements. "Is war hard Fern?" She asked glumly. She didn't want any beast to get hurt, and despite her thrill at the upcoming adventure the true Redwaller in her shuddered from the violence. She wanted so desperately to stop the vermin, but at the same time such bloodshed should've been avoided.

----------

Krazka and his horde were now camped out somewhere just inside Mossflower wood. The vermin were all huddled around fires, bickering over the food they had gathered and who got what. Krazka surveyed this with a thoughtful eye, sweeping his tail around to rest on his lap. They had made good progress, though the ballista did hamper their travel slightly. No matter, it would be worth it when he stood Amon the rubble of the castle walls. Flicking a fish bone at the unlucky rat siting in range, he barked, "Where is Swiftblade? Someone bring him to me!" Surprisingly his mood was fair, however it did no good to keep him waiting.

-------

The badger lord/lady exited the mountain and walked among the ranks. He/she was decked in full regalia, their face hard with the knowledge of what was to come. "March." Immediately the higher ranked hares began shouting orders. As one the Long Patrol moved forward, the badger leader at the head of the march.

Fern nodded lightly, looking at the road. "It ain't pretty, ain't easy, ain't fun...for those not used to it at least." She pointed toward the birds over the trees. "Vermin are in Mossflower. Birds always know."

---------

Skipper helped pulled the log-boats onto the shore, waiting with the shrews. They lot small cook fires and went fishing. A good meal was cooking by noontide and he sat with Log-a-Log watching the fire lightly. This was home. Moving around, helping other, fighting wars; that was home to him and his crew.

((Yay!!! happy.gif I haven't squeed since I met Kamina at AN last year happy.gif))

Morgotha Swiftblade was pacing through the assortment of vermin clutches as they scrabbled for their meager foods. He himself had...tarriffed a nice portion for himself from the rest of the horde. He carried his halberd with him using as a pacing stick, It made a moist thunk in the ground ever other step he made. A rat came running to him. "Krazka want's you present" The rat said realizing his mistake a moment too late. A flick of his foot a twist of the arm holding the halberd and his free arm pushing down on the top-most and of the polearm brought the butt of the weapon rocketing up to meat the rat's chin with a resounding crack. The vermen fell flat on his rear and a tooth went soaring through the air. Morgotha spoke in a harsh and grating tone. "Lord Krazka wishes to see me. Get it right next time or I will use your skull for potting daisies, got it grogbrains?" The rat nodded nervously and Morgotha marched off to meet with Krazka. The warlord didn't like to be kept waiting and Morgotha knew this well. When he arrived he bowed to his commander and spoke in a tone much less harsh than that he had used with the rat. In fact his tone had a sense of enderment and respect to it. "You summoned me Lord Krazka." He said awaiting whatever it was Krazka had to say to him.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As one the hares of the long patrol marched and replied accordingly to their orders. Amongst them two ears adorned with earrings, one copper and one silver, that a number of other hares knew well stood out amongst the rest. These ears pointed proudly skyward belonged to Conya. Amongst her comrads she was recognized as the hare with the most fighting spirit, a spirit that has gotten her into all kinds of trouble including time in confinment to quarters. When the order came to march Conya who was not in any sort of trouble today replied with her squad in a loud and bround "YES, SAH!" before marching with the rest of the long patrol. Like always her greatblade was slung across her back and her twin long knives rested at either side of her waist.

Pralia sighed again, but nodded. She understood; war was war. Pushing herself away from the edge she turned back to face Fern. "Well, were with you either way. And thank you so much for coming to help us. I only help that your father returns in time."

------

Krazka acknowledged his captain's arrival with a nod of his head. "Sit down, Morgotha. Help yerself to some wine," he invited him with a wave at the bottle. "I called ye here ta discuss tactics. Redwall's a big place, an' it'll take more than sheer force to get in," Deatheye explained, stroking his chin. "Have yew got any ideas? I seek your counsel." He trusted the captain far more than any of the other scum in his horde. The fox rose from his chair and paced around the tent. The ballista offered an obvious plan, however they needed something more cunning. "Perhaps a sneak attack into the night... No, we may kill our own," he muttered to himself.

"Thank you." Morgotha said helping himself to a glass of the wine. He sat down thoughtfully as the question of how to strike was posed. He had gone with the scouts to see things for himself earlier and was less than amused. As Krazka noted it was big and as much a fortress as the rumors said, they could just bring the place to ruin with the Ballista but that would defeat the purpose of conquering it for themselves and even if the only brought down one wall it would be one wall of exposure to retaliation from survivors until they could build it back up again. The main gate faced the plains, any attack from that direction would be cut down by archers on the battlements before it reached the gate. Leaving only the walls facing the forest, but those doors were small and presented the bottle-necking problem. The warlord was muttering plans to himself as Morgotha thought on it staring into the wine glass. Something caught his eye in the glass, the reflection of a shield resting on a tree. A wicked grin creased the fox's lips. "Attacking either of the plains-side gates would be utter suicide no matter what time of day it is. The forest on the other hand faces two of the abbey walls. It does a couple of things for us, the trees will provide some protection from any archers they mount on the battlements, and it is a notably wonderful resource for shield construction." He paused seeing if he got his commander's attention before continuing. "The gates facing the forest are very small but as such we will be able to get through them with greater ease. The only problem with that is our forces will be bottle necked into a pair of small openings, typically more suicidal than attacking head on, up-hill, in broad daylight, against archers behind the walls. But if we can build shields from the wood of the trees in the forest that are large enough for a whole rat to hide behind, we will be able to force more of our forces through the small openings since the shields will afford them protection from opposing forces long enough for our rats to close into combat. When they do reach the abbey beasts they will ditch their shields and hack at it with the abbey beasts in typical fashion. I think if we arm three or four squads thusly we will be able to tie up enough of their forces for a nice portion of the horde to pass through without the shields and provide relief for those that went in first. But for this to really get off the ground we have to make sure we control the needed parts of the forest first. The plan won't mean much if squirrels ambush us from the trees, or if we are flanked by whatever forces they have before we get the gates down. I think with some adjustment to aim we may be able to use the ballista to basically rip the gate off of its hinges. Small doors are easy to replace." He said before taking another sip of the wine he had been offered by Krazka. He personally liked the idea, but there was still more. "While them Redwall beasts are all tied up with those that broke through the remainder of our forces will use ladders and grapples to scale the walls facing the forest. If we can also make this a surprise attack things will go infinitely more smoothly. It's doubtful though that we will be able to pull it off as such so no reason to hold anything back when we attack. I'm sure their back door exploding into splinters will do a lovely little number on their moral." He added the last bit with a sly wink from his good eye.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The thrum of pawstomps echoed through the air as the long patrol marched on to meet log-a-log and the otters at the riverbanks. "I say, wot exactly are we marchin for old chap?" Conya asked the hare next to her. He sighed, as he marched. "Weren't you payin attenshun to the briefing? Redwall's in danger of siege." "Says who?" "A bird, wot." A sergeant's ear flicked in irritation and he shouted back at the pair. "CUT THE CHATTER BACK THERE." This silenced the two hares quickly as they continued their march.

Edited by En'K'Haral

"Pa says Redwall is our first home, the river our second. Of course we help when we need." Fern said, smiling lightly at Pralia. She looked back over the walls, thinking. "I need abbey beast to go with some of my otters, start cutting the trees closest to the walls down. We'll use the wood to shore up the doors and make spears. We'll put some down in that ditch." She pointed across the road, a plan forming easily in her young, wild mind.

"Those trees have to go cause those vermin can use them to climb up and over. The boys will fill that pot, with what I'm not sure, but they will...And I need a few digger-beast to come with me. You too." She smiled at Pralia, "Ye'll like what I'll show ye. Ye sort things out and meet me behind the Great Hall."

~~~~~~~~~~~

Skipper smiled; Log-a-Log's son had managed to bring some shrimp from up river and the shrews always had a supply of hotroot. Shrimp 'n' hotroot soup never did no beast wrong. He ate slow, enjoying every bite before looking over the beach. "Ahoy, Log, here be comin' the hares, best be hidding the food, aye?"

"Pack it in, shrews, quickfast now. Lest ye want to share with a hare!" Log-a-Log said, eating rather quickly now but laughing to hard. He coughed, choking slightly. Skipper shook his head, pouring in more hotroot. Hares couldn't take the heat.

The hares haulted once they had arrived with the Guosim and broke to make camp. Conya was quick to help set up. She hadn't seen much of the other beasts outside of Salamandastron never really having left herself, she was deemed too rowdy for one of the smaller long patrols. Once she was done she made her way to meet with the Guosim and otters that were camped near her unit. She marched into the camp happily waving to those nearby. "I say, how do you do chap. So your a shrew...never met one meself." She said to a shrew desperately trying to conceal his food from her. She bounced from shrew to shrew cheerily introducing herself although sometimes it seemed more like she was looking for a fight. At the rate she was going she would surely get a tussle from one of the Guosim before too long. However, as fate would have it she came to a stop in front of the Skipper before the next shrew who looked just about ready to start a scuffle with the hare. "Good day! Name's Conyarisa Perriermina Alexandria Stoutarm, but most just call me Conya or privet Soutarm if your a stuck up sergeant, wot." She said clearly having a good time meeting people. Her paw was outstretched to Skipper for him to shake.

Edited by En'K'Haral

"Howdy Conya." Skipper said, taking her paw lightly while shooting a glare at the young shew beside him. "Name's Triage Rhulain Taggerung, but you can call me Skip, Skipper, or Triage. Other two are family names." He looked at the other hares who were, for the most part, making friends. Most of the other hares had seen shrews, and many had met the otter, but the younger bucks were to excited for their own good. But no fights started yet, which was good he guessed.

"This here's Log-a-Log, and this," he pointed to the bird resting on his shoulder, "Is Mikal."

"Nice t' meetcha." Mikal said, turning one eye to the hare. Log-a-Log nodded, hiding a empty bowl behind him.

"Right then, Skip it is, and your Log-a-log. Wonder why the sarg keeps calling you Log-a-thing. Log-a-log seems like a simple enough name if you ask me wot." She looked at the bird with a scrutinizing eye. "I always heard birds were right terrible beasts. Savage to the core and bad mannered to boot. You seem civil minded enough though wot wot. Pleasure to meet'cha then Mikal." Conya said before she noticed the soup that Skipper was holding. "I say those vittles sure look tasty. you wouldn't happen to have some more laying around?" A pacing stick rapped Conya sharply between the ears annoucing her stuck up sergeants arrival to the scene. "Ow! I say what was that for!?" "You were allotted rations before we left don't go stealing their vittles. Oh and trust me privet Stoutarm if you don't follow this order now you'll wish you had listened to this old stuck up sergeant when you get a taste of that shrimp and hot-root soup." The sarg said waggling the pacing stick cautiously in Conya's face. "Yes sah!" She saluted smartly and waited for the sarg to leave before turning back to the skipper and whispering to him with a wink. "You heard him I can't steal vittles but if it were offered to me I surely wouldn't refuse it of course." Conya said chuckling as she sat down with Skip and log-a-log removing her greatblade from her back and setting it down on the grass next to her. "So Skip Log-a-Thing, dear me I guess it is harder than it seems, anyways gents tell me about yourselves." It seemed Conya had found the crowd she wanted to hang with whether this wqas fortunate for them or not was yet to be seen.

Skipper looked at Log-a-Log and shrugged, offering her the bowl. She'd regret it alright. The shrew still regretted it. "Well, ye know me name, my ma was a Rhulain and my pa a Taggerrung. Me wife died in birthing me daughter, Fern-Angel. She be preparing Redwall fer war." Skip took another laddle full of shrimp'n'hotroot soup, eating it easily. Nothing was hotter for an otter.

"My family just be a bunch of fighters." Log-a-Log said, rolling his shoulder lightly. "But that rough-rouser be my son." He said proudly, pointing at the young Guosim a few feet away. The boy was as thick as any, strong too. But unlike others, he was smart. He was a tacticsin by heart.

((Merr, it's hard to keep up ))

Krazka continued to stroke his chin thoughtfully as his captain laid don the foundations of a plan. "Yes... With means of cover there would be no way for the enemy to attack us. From what I hear these are soft creatures; they shun the warrior way. If we can face them in paw to paw combat there'll be no stopping us." The warlord turned away from the tent wall and looked at Morgotha. "Very clever, Swiftblade. I take it you have plans for these shields. They cannot be too heavy, nor too weak," Krazka said, half to himself. "Most likely the dwellers of this castle will anticipate the use of their trees, so we must stay farther back in the woods." Deatheye returned to his seat and steepled his paws.

-----

Pralia finished giving orders and surveyed the groups of Abbey dwellers. Each one had a group and were going off to do something or other. Satisfied, the squirrel twitched her tail then walked back into the Abbey. For a moment she stood and just inspected the Great Hall. It was such a large and welcoming place. Her thoughts were broken when she spotted Fern over to the side. Pralia skipped over to her and waited to see what they were to do next.

------

The badger lord/lady shouldered their way gently through the throng of hares and approached an otter and a shrew. Both bodies looked like the leaderly type. "You must be Log a log and Skipper," he she said. "I am (insert name here), it's nice to meet you, though not under these circumstances."

Fern smiled at Pralia, looking back at the wall before her. Her father had told her this was the spot, now to get to it. She pulled her dagger free and ramed it into the old cement, pulling bricks free one after the other. Once she was done, she stood back and surveyed her work with a smirk. Different weapons sat arrayed before her, from bows and arrows to spears and swords. "Pa put these here himself, just in case. Take yer pick, Pralia." Fern said, smiling at her young friend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Skipper stood with Log-a-Log, looking up at the badger respectfully. Log-a-Log went first, twitching his snout lightly. "Aye, sire, I be the Log-a-Log of the Gousim. And I agree, I wish it were other circumstances.

Skipper nodded the same, saying, "I'm Skipper, full name Triage Rhulain Taggerrung. Me crew's already at Redwall, me daughter in charge. We were planing on swimming up here this summer tide and meetin' ya." Mikal sqwaked, chuckling lightly.

"Already met cha, Badger, nice see 'gain."

Conya listened to Skip and Log-a-Log tell their stories as she accpeted the bowl of shrimp and hotroot soup from Skip. She took a swig of the soup and immediatly began coughing and spluttering. "I say!" She coughed some more and set the bowl down before she spilled the soup everywhere. "That is some suicidally hot soup, wot!" She excliamed to the otter. However, Skip and Log-aLog were now standing and introducing themselves to someone. Conya turned around to face the beast behind her who was none other than the badger lady ((until farther notice)) of the hares. She stood botl upright and gave the badger a smart salut. "Marm!" Conya struggled to contain herself while the hotroot continued to ravage her tastebuds. A few snickers from her fellow hares in the unit drifted over to Conya.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

((If you like Sweet_Wyvern I can wait for you to post before making my replies happy.gif))

Morgotha finished his glass of wine and stood. "I believe that Yew will be a good choice. The nature of the design will make the shields heavy but the use of yew should help relieve some of that burden. I will take my leave and have the horde get to work on it right away...with your permission Lord." Morgotha said offering a bow. He was eager to get things underway. The plan very much reflecfted his combat behaviour: jumping into the fray at full speed and not slowing down for anything. This style is what provided him with his numerous scars. Something that could be viewed as an omen at first but at a second glance one can see that no matter how cut up bruised and scarred he has gotten he is still going strong.

Edited by En'K'Haral

((I don't want to prevent you guys from rping so I'll be fine.))

Pralia jumped back in surprise. All these seasons she'd walked past this wall and never known what lay behind it. "That was smart! Though I don't think the Abbot/Abbess will appreciate weapons being here..." She trailed off, intrigued by something sticking out at the back of the pile. It was a nice stout bow with a taut drawstring and a beautiful quiver stocked with arrows. Wordlessly the squirrel shouldered all of this, and as an afterthought pocketed a small dagger.

----------

Krazka waved his paw and said, "Yes, have the horde begin fashioning as many of these shields as possible. I will begin drawing up a plan of attack. And, of course, a back up. One can never tell when something will go amiss." The fox dismissed his captain with a nod and rose. He turned around and began observing a map that hung from the tent. It was a very accurate map of Mossflower, pilfered from a squirrel family on one of their raids. It also displayed Redwall. The fox picked up a piece of charcoal and took a step closer, making marks in certain places and muttering to himself.

---------

The badger lord/lady shook both of their paws with a nod. He/she was about to go on speaking when a hare addressed her. They raised an eyebrow at he hare, Conya, it was. Oh, he/she knew of Conya. "At ease," the badger said, then returned their attention to the two group leaders. "We would love to have you at Salamandastron after all of this. Speaking of, when did you plan to move towards Redwall? We must make haste."