soupnazi

Should names have meanings?

I think it's important that names have meanings, it give more character to the person in the certain role they play in a story, or what happened to them, or what is to come. If we DC community members were only known by our member numbers then people might not thought up soquickly nicknames for others. Just Sayin'.

It doesn't matter. I name characters by the feel of the name, the shape of it, the way it tastes on my tongue. If that makes any sense. Even if a name's meaning perfectly captures a character of mine, I would sooner go with the name that feels best for them.

If no name really has the right shape, I'll go to behindthename.com and look for meanings and themes, or just scroll through the lists looking for something nice, but that's more of a last resort.

I like names with meanings, but most of my characters are lumped with names I happen to like or just came up randomly when I thought of them. Sometimes there's a link between name and character, but not often- I have an assassin OC called Mortimer, but Mortimer happens to mean 'from the quiet pool'. Everyone calls him Mort, though, and that means 'death'.

Hi everyone I was looking through the forum when I found this I totally agree with you because my name Saif (which means sword in arabic) totally reflects my dads personality so I agree that it should reflect the parent in some way

Well, I think it's ok, when the name fits the charakter... but only sometimes!

like, for example, when you have a sweet, individual redhead-girl some parents/authors will surely want to name her Ginger. The reason is obvious.

but in most cases there are just too many coincidences with absolutly fitting names and that's the main problem, I think!

The first thing a Name has to do, is sond good and fit into the envirorment!

You could name someone Rana (lat. for frog) just because you think, it's nice.

And you can also do it for fun like naming a Princess like that! (that would be pretty ironic... biggrin.gif )

As long as it's a pun, it's totally alright!^^

and in some cases it's a nice thing, that the meaning of the name fits the charakter.... but only as long as you don't overdo it.

But in my opinion the only thing that has to match is the sound of the name.

I prefer some names to have meaning, i.e. a pretty girl character named Marissa, but I don't like it to go where it's punny. Like, Peeta in the Hunger Games.

Since someone's mentioned Harry Potter, I'm mentioning Harry means 'army leader' Fitting?

As for others, yeah, I think it's nice if a name has a meaning, but it's not crucial. People don't always fit there name. I don't, and neither does my sister. My name is ultra religious, and I'm clearly not. As for my sister, her name means poetic, and considering the most I've heard her say in her soon 14 years of living, is Kan jeg få Ice cream! (Can I have Ice cream) Not really poetic that?

You don't typpically name people after the meaning of that speciffic name, you choose something you like, or has a speiciall meaning to YOU. If we did, there wouldn't be many Brian's out there, cuz I don't think anyone really want's to name their kid 'Big nose'

I have a little story going on in my head where the main character is named Aurora. I started calling her Rora since I like Aurora better when you roll your r's, but turns out she's more of a Rora than Aurora. As for the rest of the people there, it's part of their worlds culture to give atleast one name because of the meaning. One ended up as Alanyja anyway because the name just randomly popped into my mind.

It's pretty cool when names have meanings, if it's really significant in the story. I like naming my characters with either significant or cool names, since I don't really like using really normal ones.

When I write I somtimes will match names but only for one or two characters. The rest just get whatever name pops into my head. And as far as making everything in the story have a meaning I HATE THAT. If there is a river in the town it's cuz there's a river not cuz it represents the characters life that doesn't make sense. So yeah I say not everything has a meaning nor should it. And as far as names go maybe one or two characters need to have personality fitting names but that's it not all of them.

For instance, let's say it's a fantasy medieval setting. Would the king and queen name their child Jim? Probably not; instead, they'd use something more regal sounding. So, in a sense the name would fit the character since it would be a fancy name and they're royalty, but it would fit them because of their parents, not because of their personality.

[pedant] Actualy there have been English and Scottish Kings called 'James' - of which 'Jim' is the nickname form. So, theoreticaly, in a medieaval setting there could be a royal called James who instsed on being referred to as Jim to make him 'more in touch with the people'. [/pedant]

Edit to be slightly on topic: So, yeah. I think a name should have meaning that fits it's setting. If a name would logicaly be in use for that character in that setting it's fine. Randomly throwing an odd-ball name into the mix (say, someone called Trixibelle into said medieaval setting) won't really work.

Edited by TikindiDragon

It depends, if they are names that are given at birth, then no, they really shouldn't have much meaning. However, if a character earns a nickname at some point, I see nothing wrong with that.

Like in one series I love, it is rare for people going through basic training to not earn a nickname from this one particular master sergeant named Braven Tooth(not his original name, by the way).

That's a very practicall way to keep everyone happy biggrin.gif Which series is it?

Absolutely. I am of the firm belief that *everything* in a work of fiction should have meaning, down to the smallest chitchat between two characters.

^ Love.

I do not name my characters randomly. I believe that your name does have an impact in your personality, yes, even a slight one.

[Although my name means "follower of Christ" and I'm a convicted paganist. Sigh.]

Back to fiction, I think names should always be very well thought of. They should match characters' background, should make sense in their universe, should impart personality and essence, even if it's just a glimpse of their whole self.

For instance, one character of mine:

His given name is Vieno, an unisex Finnish name meaning "gentle". That means he must be Finnish, or at least have Finnish parents, and that "gentle" must be a characteristic of his personality.

Though he lives now in Greece, serving as a knight to Athena, he speaks to his siblings in Finnish, often swears in Finnish, and still celebrates holy days [sic.] in the way he learned from his parents. Being a musician, his favourite instrument is the kantele, followed by the cello, and he dislikes loud music, favouring instrospective, delicate styles. He seems to be a perfect gentleman, always very polite and apparently caring, and speaks in an intricate, soft way. Also, his face is kind of androgynous, and his violently colourful clothes don't help in creating a more masculine impression.

The fact that he left Finland at the age of 13 to learn Arabian tribal music and dance, hates fish and snow, that underneath those lovely manners he's really a manipulative, needy jerk, that he's aggressively gay to the point of harassing his fellow knights, and that he's obsessed with removing every hint of facial hair - that's just a tad of seasoning which makes him, at least for me, much more interesting.

So. I don't like completely random names with no alternative linguistic backgrounds [Ashaykla], poorly thought out names [Hawaiian chick called Shizuka], names which have been obviously adapted to sound like names [Fyre], bizarre unexplainable adaptations of existing names [Mahryah], unimaginative names which are too obvious ["my name's Melody Sweetheart; I like to play romantic tunes on the flute and love teddies, unicorns and birdies"]. I like names that, despite being at first sight plain or common, have some deeper, surprising meaning. Examples would be Ronald Weasley and Wednesday.

Edited by Kumiho

[Although my name means "follower of Christ" and I'm a convicted paganist. Sigh.]

Ironic symbolism?

Y'know, I used to really think that character names all ought to stand for something, but I've developed some reservations. I'd rather have a name that bears no significance other than that's what the character's parents (or the character) picked than to have a name like "Bella Swan."

This plain-Jane every-girl's name means "beautiful swan," hurr hurr hurr, so clever.

Whatever. Not a fan.

Oh, well, I don't consider Twilight literature. But I digress. Yes, I'd rather have a name with no meaning whatsoever.

In books the writer is the ultimate creator so... any name goes.

In real life, it's parents who put more meaning into naming their kids than anyone else, and if the kid doesn't like the given name, it'll be changed.

So in a sense names have no meaning beyond the meaning we attach to it.

Kinda like language to aliens in the bigger scheme of things..

I am writing a book, some of the names I gave characters have meanings but other names I liked to I used them.

For example-

Alex means Protector of Mankind and in my story he is a guardian/protector

Aaron means exalted, high mountain and in my story he is also a guardian/protector

It depends, I needed a name so Aaron was the first name I thought up that was fitting for the character. Alex was a name I looked up and liked.

Edited by evangeline5432

One of my favorite authors is Tamora Pierce. She said once that she just came up with the names of characters off the top of her head, and didn't look up meanings until years later. Then it turned out that one of the twin characters' names, Thom (ie. Thomas) means "twin." It was a coincidence that worked out. Other names have had meanings that didn't suit at all, and most of the names were just average.

We all have stories behind our names. My mom wanted to name me Daneille, just because she liked it, but there are so many Daniels on my dad's side of the family that he said no just to avoid questions about whose namesake I might be. Aryn was a name they found by chance. Chris was an odd one-- but I can only assume they wanted Christina and chose otherwise because I already had a cousin by that name. Sometimes it's just a matter of a name that was popular when you were born, or one with a good association to one of your parents, or, sometimes, a parent will actively choose by finding a name with a good meaning. Sometimes it's even simpler-- a childhood friend was named August because that's the month he was born.

I'm all for characters having names. I see no reason not to have characters with namesakes, or named for the meaning, or with a story behind the name. There's also no good reason avoid just giving random names and not worrying if they fit. I named a character Lanita Theiser, after a friend named Katrin Theiser. What does Theiser mean? What does Lanita mean? Heck if I know, but it sound pretty. I also named a character Lorraine Cur... who is of heavily French descent and qualifies as a scaliwag for most of her life. tongue.gif But I'll never tell if the name or the character details came first!

Many cultures assign meanings to names, so there is a basis for doing so. If you feel a certain name is "right" for your character, use it. But if you ever decide to research it, you might find yourself surprised. Honestly, names are more important than most people give them credit for. It is hard to be a princess with a name that belongs in the streets.

Really obvious, giveaway names are to be avoided in general, if simply because they give too much away. If you know that So-and-so is evil and such-and-such is the prince in disguise and the main character's name means "foolish, unlucky"... I don't think I need to go further.

Once in a while it's nice. Names that clash completely can be a tad annoying (unless it's used well, for humor.)

I totally agree, clashing names are horrible and can totally ruin a mood in a story. For that reason an author or parent should pick a name that fits into hes personality... Yet that cannot be achieved always for example, my name in Arabic "Saif" translates into Sword which in my opinion is quite a violent name which is the total opposite of my calm and musical personality.....

I like the concept of the characters' names having deeper meaning in fiction. While I understand that it's not that realistic, it's not too far off either. My parents chose my name for me specifically with a hopefully fitting meaning behind it. And personally, I'd have to say they got close enough tongue.gif

But anyway, we're talking fiction here. And I like mysteries in fiction. So if there's a character with a certain name, that in the end proves all too true but isn't obvious at first mention, then I'm happy.

When writing myself, I usually go ahead and find 'pretty' names and add characteristics/background to them later. I've got an whole assortment with different, unused characters lying about xd.png And they all got fitting names. Most of them, anyways.

It's all well and good to name characters by meaning, though it's not terribly realistic. If you're not going for realistic, though, then, hey, why not?

I used to name characters by meaning. Most recently, though, I named a character Leanna, which I got from smushing together Lena and Anna, two of the most popular names in Germany in 1989. (According to a website that I've long since forgotten [it was last year that I named her].) Her father is from Germany (though he moved to America in his adulthood) and Leanna was born in 1989. Her middle name means 'beautiful', which was chosen by her parents because, when Leanna was born, they thought she was the most beautiful thing in the world. Cheesy? Totally. Realistic? Possibly.

Her surname is Abendroth, which apparently is German for 'sunset'. I'm thinking of having her paternal grandmother's maiden name be Morgenstern. Then, it's like a marriage of the sunset and the morning star, which I think is totally awesome. (Plus, I'm a total nerd for 'The Princess Bride'...) The maternal side of Leanna's heritage doesn't really factor in because Leanna's mother isn't exactly human. Anyway, together her middle and surname mean "beautiful sunset" but I didn't really do that on purpose. (I actually picked the names first, then looked up the meanings. I only came up with the reason for her middle name today. [Well, technically yesterday, since it's after midnight, but I've not been to bed yet, so...])

Anyway, I seem to have gotten away from my main point, which is, yeah, it's okay to name by meaning if you're not really going for realisticness. Or if you're going for irony or, like Nix mentioned, the parents were trying to impart a certain trait on the kid. That last bit actually reminds me of an advert that's been running lately where a guy considers getting a certain mobile phone for his mum and that leads to him thinking of what he'd name a kid and he settles on a name because he thinks that "A Brian will make eye contact and work with his hands." (Before anyone makes the comment, no, I do not watch too much television, I just happen to retain random things that amuse or intrigue me...)

Oh, well, I don't consider Twilight literature.

that reminds me of a scene from a webshow I like. I believe it's been turned into a GIF, but I'll have to check on that...

Edit: actually, I found the clip.

Edited by nekoinu525

I recently read a little article thing about names, and it brought up making names have meanings that relate to the character. It said that giving your character a name that fit their personality is a good thing, but I disagree; even though you created the character, the character most likely had parents-so how would the parents know to name their child something that fit their personality when the character was a baby? It just doesn't make sense to me, which is why I think a character's name should not fit their name, but fit their world and the parent's personality.

For instance, let's say it's a fantasy medieval setting. Would the king and queen name their child Jim? Probably not; instead, they'd use something more regal sounding. So, in a sense the name would fit the character since it would be a fancy name and they're royalty, but it would fit them because of their parents, not because of their personality.

I kind of see what you mean....no one really knows what the child will be like when they grow up, but my friend is writing a story, and I know her characters are named after their personalities...

I'm really not sure about that.........

There are several sources that say that names reflect a persons being. It is perfectly realistic for names to match personalities.