When I went to England with my family, we all got comments, of 'very' Australian accents. It was hilarious. Even though we don't sound like the TV's Australian accents!

Maybe I do, maybe I do...

I guess I would have an Australian accent, being an Australian (and if being from QLD makes my 'accent' any different, it's news to me). Though, I can't really tell the difference between regional accents within Australia, as to me, they all sound the same (aside from the pronunciation of some words). Then again, I haven't exactly travelled much, so the people I do meet from other cities have usually lived in my hometown for a while.

So in 2011 I hadn't been anywhere else in Australia, other than my hometown and briefly, some areas within a few hundred kilometres. I've been to Brisbane and Sydney since then and wow, yes people do sound and talk different.

I lived on the south side of Brisbane for two years, and in the suburb I lived in people sounded pretty normal. They spoke a lot quicker though, which was hard to keep up with having grown up in a town where people spoke in a way that their words were drawn out. Other suburbs nearby, had a "bogan" sounding accent. Not a country sounding accent, but one that was a horrible mix of mangled country and can't be bothered speaking properly. "Hoooww ya goin' mayte!" "Yeaaah bro, got me my P plates!" "Check out dem wheeeels!" I won't lie, I sometimes spoke like this too.

Moving to Sydney was another eye opener, although I only lived there for a year. I thought Brisbanites spoke fast, but Sydney people spoke even faster. Everyone was always in a rush, and tended to speak quietly to boot. I rarely encountered people who spoke with a "bogan" inflection, but the area I lived in had lots of different cultures. It was pretty great actually, if people actually spoke slow enough for me to understand them.

I recently reconnected with my sister, and spoke to her over the phone. Her accent is very different now that I've had three years to soak in the local accents. It's a mix between North Queelsand, Australian and West Sussex, English. Her SO is English so that's why, but when she doesn't have the West Sussex accent jumbled in, she talks slow and loud. It's like apples and oranges - completely different from how the people talk in Sydney and Brisbane.

Edited by VampiricOmen

I have the accent that is identifiable as being from the central north east part of the US - Michigan, to be precise, where we're known to pronounce every letter in a word, and refer to soda as 'pop'. It's also the accent (or lack thereof) that most national broadcasters have, likely due to said enunciation habits and basic understandability.

I live in New Zealand, so I have an accent that some think is Australian. My Xbox Live friends sometimes comment and say that I have and accent, and I was suprised when I first heard them say it. Even though they live in America, I have never really noticed accents from hem.

I have a pretty normal mid-Atlantic or New Jersey accent.

I don't really know because I don't travel a lot.

My boyfriend, my ex, and some coworkers all tell me I sound really New England- Maine and NH. It really comes out when I talk with one of the other guys from New England.

We have such a mishmash up here. People from all over the country live in Alaska. Plus the villages all have their own accent and speech patterns too. It's really cool. I can tell the accents of a couple of different Alaskan Natives apart. Inupit sounds different than Athabaskan. Some of my Native friends are really awesome and teach me a little here and there.

I have a fairly standard American accent, just because where I live in Florida, though it may be in the south, not many of us have heavy southern accents except those who move here from Georgia, the Carolinas, etc. So mostly everyone around here has a 'basic' American accent.

Same for me. I live in northern Florida.

My piano tuner guy had an Irish accent. It took me a few minutes to figure out what kind of accent it was when I first heard it. When I figured it out I was like @w@

Sort of RP English mixed with Northern country Scots vernacular. It's weird because Scottish people immediately say I have an English accent and vice versa. Even though I know a few of the words in the Northern Isles I can scarcely understand them, so I tend to just nod my head and say 'mmn'.

*shrug*

Well, I don't really notice accents unless they're really heavy and obvious.

But, according to other British people, I sound American. According to foreigners, I sound like a Brit. According to my mom, who's American but has lived in Britain for fifteen years, I sound like an American, but my British accent is very noticeable once I start yelling at people.

My accent is weeiird. o_o

I have a Californian accent- not sure what that would be called. I'm just glad I didn't end up with a valley girl accent (although I can imitate it pretty well since I've heard it so much).

Midwestern in general (the standard-issue "American accent", even though there are dozens of actual American accents), but definitely subcategorizable as native Michigander. I have the whole hard 'r' and nasal 'a' thing going. laugh.gif

Since I am from Serbia I have the Serbian accent, if you can even call it an accent. I speak English close to perfectly as I've been studying it for over eleven years, but when you hear me speak it you will surely notice that it's not my native language. However, you should be able to understand me. tongue.gif

Same with my German - I speak in a different way than native Germans, of course, and I hate it in a way. My German sounds way too soft, as if you were talking to a kid. That kinda annoys me. dry.gif

Since I am from Serbia I have the Serbian accent, if you can even call it an accent. I speak English close to perfectly as I've been studying it for over eleven years, but when you hear me speak it you will surely notice that it's not my native language. However, you should be able to understand me. tongue.gif

Same with my German - I speak in a different way than native Germans, of course, and I hate it in a way. My German sounds way too soft, as if you were talking to a kid. That kinda annoys me. dry.gif

Question for you!

How do you properly pronounce Maza? My friend imported a wonderful golden with great bloodlines from Serbia, but none of us are sure of the right way to say her name.

One of my other close friends is German. She has an accent that many people have issues understanding. Fortunatly I don't. She's a kick too. You can tell when she gets mad too... It gets heavier.

Question for you!

How do you properly pronounce Maza? My friend imported a wonderful golden with great bloodlines from Serbia, but none of us are sure of the right way to say her name.

One of my other close friends is German. She has an accent that many people have issues understanding. Fortunatly I don't. She's a kick too. You can tell when she gets mad too... It gets heavier.

Hahaha, I'd be glad to help! The "Z" is pronounced like anywhere else (the word "zoo" for example), and the both "A"s - like in the beginning of a word starting with an "A" ("A" like in "accomplishment" - slightly shorter and not stretched). If I manage to find a recording or anything I'll send you the link. smile.gif

I have Korean accent.and Korean language has no accent. I pronunce L and R almost same. Edited by sh20000sh

Well, I have a slight English accent mixed in with an aussie accent. If you want to know how that sounds, I'll trim a bit where I talk in a video of mine c:

Oh, I love this topic. My classmates would say I have a bit of an accent when saying the native language, Filipino. They say that there's a faint Chinese sound to it. Well, this is when I don't feel anything. And obviously, when I speak Chinese, I have an accent of Filipino. This though I recognise. I don't speak Chinese fluently.

Change topic. I like the French accent. I love listening to French speaking in English. *dreamily* It's beautiful when it comes from a female. And it sounds awesome from a male.

Other accents I encountered is Taiwanese speaking Fukien. That I cannot understand so it's best to speak Chinese Mandarin to them, then it would sound normal to me for I am used to it, being to Chinese high school where they teach traditional Chinese (mostly from Taiwan).

I'm Chinese and is fluent at it, it's my mother tongue. I moved to Canada when I was like 7 and has spoken English ever since. I've been told I have no accent for either languages though (I hope not :b ).

Edited by suskekun222

My accent is like Californian brah. Supposedly, to other people, it sounds slow and relaxed or "chill".

Edited by Infinitum

New girl with an Irish accent came to my school and she's in my maths class. I love talking to her because Irish ones are my favorite smile.gif

Alabama, USA. It's quite the accent.

I fluently speak English and I have no trouble speaking English properly, but I tend embrace my accent when I'm hanging out with my friends. We all do. It's a bad habit.

English, a mishmash of the Midlands and the South East. Non-rhotic with the first six mergers from here if anyone's interested in these things (I am happy.gif).

Alabama, USA. It's quite the accent.

I fluently speak English and I have no trouble speaking English properly, but I tend embrace my accent when I'm hanging out with my friends. We all do. It's a bad habit.

Another Alabamian.

Though I may have picked up something more Northern-y somehow. I quite occasionally get asked "where are you from" by people at the school I've attended my whole life tongue.gif

Then again, none of those were people I knew well. It might be possible that I too embrace the southern-ness when with my friends tongue.gif

And on another note, female German accents and male Russian accents. sakldajlfj yes pls.