The Fifth Element

The Fifth Element Lineage

I agree, symbiotic plants growing out of their bodies. I haven’t seen a more fitting Life Elemental in a long time

A resounding YES! in Life.

I believe a symbiotic relationship with another form of life is unique enough that it should be in Life.  Their magical ability to keep flowers alive for longer periods is interesting, too.

Should I bring up the Fever Wyverns at this point as they have a symbiotic relationship with bacteria and viruses??  (I havent mentioned them since 2015.  :) )

Hi, so I'm back after a 5 year hiatus and had once upon a time been fairly active in this. I think trying to pick up where I left off is beyond me, but is it ok if I name eligible dragons with "element" in the name?

And do you guys have any suggestions for naming frozen hatchies? All my Sunsong Amphipteres and Blunas are Elementals from 2010 and I'd like if I could somehow tie the names for frozen hatchlings together with the names of the grown up adults, but you guys don't want non-adults named as Elementals, so any ideas?

Thanks!

Hi, ArgentiAertheri! Sorry we didn't get back to you sooner on this. You are free to name any dragons you like with element in the name, provided they do indeed fit our criteria. We do things a little differently than the last time you were here; we each have a spreadsheet, and we record our dragons there instead of posting them all to the lineage. But feel free to share any particularly pretty dragons with us anyway, I always love to see the things people are working on!

I tend to name my frozen babins 'Frozen (something to do with the parents, usually)'.

Edited by silver_tiger

We got new dragons!

Floret Wyverns are an elegant breed, named for the flowerlike manes and tails each individual possesses. They project small fields of magic around themselves that calm those in the field’s proximity, for a short while replacing anxiety and anger with peace-of-mind. Florets are strikingly wise; they often share their knowledge of the world with whomever is willing to listen and learn. They are very faithful to those close to them, and are especially devoted to their partners and young. It is said that the lasting friendship of a Floret is one of the highest testaments to one’s true character.

The Freckled Dragon is a small, cunning breed known for their obsessive hoarding habits. Males and females are visually identical, but one can tell the difference between genders depending on what they collect—males only collect green-colored items, while females only collect red-colored items. Though their wings are too small to sustain flight, these dragons can glide for a short distance. Instead of flying, freckled dragons travel by running at swift speeds for long distances. They are typically docile, but can become violent if their treasure is threatened.

I think the Floret Wyvern would be a good fit for LIFE!

I agree on Florets. They're magical. They promote peace and peace of mind. They share knowledge.

I don't think Freckled dragons are elemental though. I don't see anything that fits our criteria.

Hello hello. Im sorry for vanishing for months. Life got busy and drag cave was not exactly at the top of my priority list. Ima try to be more active. Now im currently not sure what to do. I think I sorted through all my dragons and determined who were elemental s before I got busy but I’m not sure what to do with them. I was never given a spreadsheet so do I put them on the new member one or do I just keep patiently waiting for my own?? ;-; knowing what to do would be much appreciated thank you.

Sorry for vanishing again. To be honest, I'm thinking about mostly-quitting DC, just finishing some lineages every once in a while.

I love the community here, especially this thread, but whenever I take a long break from internet games and forums, I feel strongly that it's actually better for me. It seems I'm just unable to do such things in healthy doses, and I don't want to procrastinate my life away. :(

So unless someone is willing to put in the time to take things over, there will not be new personal spreadsheets after I make the current batch.*

Newcomers will still be able to submit their dragons to the joint New Members' spreadsheet, but making the individual spreadsheets is a responsibility that I do no longer want to carry. Sorry to disappoint. :( 

If someone is willing to step up, please let me know! It's not a difficult process, and once you've figured it out, it takes about 30 minutes to make one member spreadsheet. (There is a detailled HowTo on our website and I'll be happy to answer any questions that might come up.)

Similar goes for mod duties. I can do my share when I happen to be around, but I can't carry this thing anymore.

*@SnowyIcefall and @Mak0 finally got their well-deserved sheets today.

@ArgentiAertheri Do you plan to come back and actually register dragons? Or do you just want to name some of yours for yourself? Both options are fine, of course, I'm just trying to figure out whether you need a spreadsheet.

Edited by Lastalda

TJ's dragons grew up:

What they lack in size and strength, Tatterdrakes make up for in aggression and ferocity. Any perceived threat is seen as a challenge and met with complete hostility; fights for territory are so commonplace that many older Tatterdrakes possess wings so ripped from fighting that they can no longer fly. Tatterdrakes are exclusively solitary except when they are seeking mates, for which they also clash.

Red-Tailed Wyrms are a small but clever breed of dragon. Their innate ability to use air mana allows them to fly, and they are aerial predators with extremely sharp eyesight. They tend to ride on warm air currents, and then swoop out of the sky when they spot prey. Once the wyrm catches its prey, it will constrict its meal before swallowing it whole. They can often be found in human settlements, draped over rooftops or signs to rest between meals.

Unfortunately I don't see anything elemental in Tatterdrakes. Maybe the Red-tailed Wyrms? They use air mana to fly. I don't know if that's enough though by itself.

Hello. SO I just re joined the site, after many years of not being active. I decided to to start with a new scroll and all, so I was considering joining the Lineage again if possible please?

TJ's dragons from the birthday release have grown up!

The Leodon Dragon is well-known for its astonishing size and short, explosive tempers. Although often praised for its undying bravery, its penchant to jump head-first into unknown situations often leads to more trouble than necessary, especially when the Leodon relies more on brute force to solve problems than its innate skill as a master of fire magic. These dragons are adventurous by nature and enjoy any physical challenge they come across, but nothing evokes a Leodon’s courage more than the endangerment of its kin, both blood and chosen. The friends and family of a Leodon are fiercely guarded, even at the cost of its own life.

Despite their massive size, Lacula Dragons are supremely stealthy creatures that rely on cunning wit to overcome the disadvantage of their large, flightless bodies. These dragons carve their homes into wet caves along the shores of sea cliffs, and use their resourcefulness to trap prey into the corners of large labyrinths of their own design. Typical prey often includes other dragons of medium size, but Lacula Dragons have been known to overcome larger creatures through sheer ambition and force of will. Their bite is often fatal to smaller creatures due to the potent venom in its hooked fangs, which is capable of paralyzing even the largest of adversaries. Although these dragons are solitary in nature and only meet for breeding purposes, a Lacula may be convinced to share its territory with another dragon if advantageous. In this case, the bonds a Lacula forms are everlasting, and any companions of a Lacula should count themselves lucky to have such a dragon willing to protect them.

Melismor Dragons are social, good-natured dragons that enjoy the shelter of forested areas. They live in close-knit family groups, burrowing deep into the earth and creating extensive, winding networks of underground burrows. While rarely seen at the surface, Melismor Dragons, when encountered, are known to be fiercely loyal and protective, yet kind when their families aren’t in any danger. These dragons are omnivorous, but most of their diet consists of plants, especially tender roots, and honey is a favored treat they’ll often bring back to their burrows to share.

Among the most intelligent of dragons, Razorcrest Wyverns often opt to use their brains over their brawn, hunting prey in elaborate ways and avoiding confrontation through clever diversions. Such efforts are helped by their strong affiliation with the air element; highly magical, Razorcrests can manipulate the wind to distract, disorient, and disarm their opponents. Their wit pervades every aspect of their personalities, which are rather quirky and vary wildly between individuals. However, they are generally amicable toward those who seek knowledge, as they value that above all else.

Leodon Dragon: My instinct said Fire when I first read the description, but there isn't actually anything Fire-related other than mastery of fire magic.  A fiery temper doesn't actually have anything to do with Fire, at least not as we have it defined.  A tenuous case could be made for inclusion in Life, citing the focus on bravery as well as the magic ability, but I think that bravery/courage/defending kith and kin are sufficiently nebulous that we can't really compare to the majority of other dragons -- of course most breeds try to protect their family, friends, and territory.

Lacula Dragon: The only thing potentially elemental to me is the paralyzing venom, but I really don't want to reiterate the debate we had over the Fevers (which were not accepted into the lineage) over a dragon with not much else elemental going for it.

Melismor Dragon: Basically rabbits, in dragon form.  :P  Residing underground is not sufficient to qualify for Earth category, so probably a no.

Razorcrest Wyvern: They manipulate the wind/weather to win fights and subdue or trap prey, but that seems more like a strategic choice they make rather than a fundamental connection to the weather.  That would still count towards Wind if there were anything else Wind-like about them, but I don't see any.  I don't think cleverness would count as a very specific part of nature, different from other breeds, that they rely upon or are affected by.

(I mean, let's be honest here, these are the Harry Potter houses dragons.  That starting place doesn't incline them towards being Elemental.)

I think the Razorcrests are Elemental, since they do magically manipulate wind. The others — I agree, thhere’s Nothing really Elemental about them.

I vote YES for Razorcrests in Air.

NO for the rest.

4 hours ago, Lavinia said:

(I mean, let's be honest here, these are the Harry Potter houses dragons.  That starting place doesn't incline them towards being Elemental.) 

Actually, it should, as the four Hogwarts houses are elementally aligned by design... XD (see here (CTRL+F for 'element')).

But yeah, the descriptions are making this a bit difficult for us, and I'm afraid including Laculas and Merismors would be really stretching things.

But I think/hope we can make a case for Razorcrests in Wind an Leodons in Fire. Yes, we haven't used "fiery temper" as a fire-argument, but IMHO we really should...Seriously, these are basically screaming "Fire", the description just doesn't have the right words. :P

And since the Razorcrest description explicitly mentions their strong connection to the air element, I don't think we should just let that pass, either.

Can someone maybe find out more details or get additional info/statements from the creators about these that might strengthen their cases? @Fiona perhaps?

I can ask if needed but as I was in on the design discussions let's see if what I know already is sufficient. First of all, the elements associated with each of these are: fire for Leodon, water for Lacula, earth for Melismor, and wind for Razorcrest. They are also intended to be adept with magic.

I am on the fence myself as their other qualities are more important to the concepts than their elemental affinities. Leodons are courageous, Lacula sly and cunning, Melismor are loyal and Razorcrest are clever. So, while Razorcrest, for example, are adept at using wind magic, it's their cleverness that really is their key hunting talent. Is that enough?

Edit: from Nirami: "Melismors are not super extra magical, but they do use their earth magic to form and maintain their burrow networks. they also may or may not subconsciously influence the plants in the immediate vicinity of their burrows to be more tasty 😜" Magical burrows, tasty plant life. Seems elemental.

ETA: from Piemaster: "Yeah, Razorcrests are pretty strongly magical

"The Razorcrest just blew me away! LITERALLY!"" - wind magic. :D

Edited by Fiona

7 hours ago, Fiona said:

Edit: from Nirami: "Melismors are not super extra magical, but they do use their earth magic to form and maintain their burrow networks. they also may or may not subconsciously influence the plants in the immediate vicinity of their burrows to be more tasty 😜" Magical burrows, tasty plant life. Seems elemental.

Interesting, and definitely a fundamental interaction with nature that we haven't seen before, though not a super significant one globally.  However, influencing plant tastiness in their burrow's vicinity would point towards Life, not Earth.  Earth is dirt and rocks, not plant life; I would count it toward Earth if it had been that they influenced the soil (to have more plant nutrients or something) rather than the plants themselves.

Looking at the Leodons initially, I was thinking "these are going to be Fire element!" before opening up the description.  They look like they should be...  Close examination of the sprite shows what looks like fire breath and a tail that may or may not be on fire at the end ( @Fiona do you know if that is fluff or fire at the tip of the tail?) even though these aren't in the description.

I am on the fence myself as their other qualities are more important to the concepts than their elemental affinities. Leodons are courageous, Lacula sly and cunning, Melismor are loyal and Razorcrest are clever. So, while Razorcrest, for example, are adept at using wind magic, it's their cleverness that really is their key hunting talent. Is that enough?

This was exactly what I was thinking when I wrote my prior post.  We've always looked for breeds so tightly connected to their element that they have at least three different supporting arguments.  All four of these breeds have descriptions that place their adjective (courageous/cunning/loyal/clever) at the forefront and tie the rest of the description back to these concepts, not back to their elemental affinities.

I counted it as earth, because the dirt and rocks are minerals that the plants absorb to grow, and a significant factor in a plant's robust growth, or lack thereof. She didn't explicitly say that the Melismor's "subconscious influence" was due to enriching the soil but that's how it read to me.

Yes, Leodons are heavily fire magic. I'll have to check to see if the tail fluff is fire. Pretty sure it is, plus they're like, snorting fire.

Edited by Fiona

Can we maybe try to collect/list the pro-arguments for each and see if we can make a case?

Leodons in Fire:

- breathe fire

- (possibly) tail on fire => can apparently withstand and generate intense heat/open fire

- masters of fire magic

- "fiery" temper

I think this should be sufficient, especially if @Fiona can confirmt he tail being on fire.

Razorcrests in Wind:

- strong affiliation with the air element

- manipulate wind as a weapon (yes, it's a matter of intellect; but without the elemental affinity, they would have to use other weapons, right? This being their weapon of choice speaks of a strong affinity for me)

- powerful wind magic users

That seems possible, but a bit weak. @Fiona can you find out whether these spend a lot of time flying/are very good flyers? That alone would, of course, not suffice, but I think it should count as one elemental trait.

Melismors in Earth or Life:

- live underground & create deep, elaborate tunnel networks (Earth)

- influence plant tastiness in their burrow's vicinity (Earth if it's via the soil, Life if directly)

Seems too weak for me.

Lacula:

- ?

Nope, can't come up with anything.

Based on this, I'd vote YES on Leodons in Fire, undecided (but tending towards yes) on Razorcrests, and NO on the rest.

Anyone else have more points to add?

Edited by Lastalda

We were discussing size when the artists were talking about these guys. Melismors are roughly the thickness of a draft horse through the body but are much longer. Consider that tunnels burrowed through dirt at that size would collapse behind the critter. These don't collapse because the Melismors use earth magic to dig and maintain their tunnels. I don't know that I consider that a third point, but an addition to the first point. Rather than "live underground and create deep, elaborate tunnel networks" it's "live underground and use earth magic to create and maintain elaborate tunnel networks"

I'll try to poke the various people about the various questions.

:waves at everyone:

Hello!  Long time, no see.   Frank has been in ailing health and up until last week, I haven't felt much like being online either.  That being said, there have been a lot of new dragons come up lately, haven't there? 
Floral Crowned from Valentines
Florets and Freckles in March (?)

Tatterdrakes and red-Tailed Wyrnms in April (?)

And now the Leodons, Lacula, Melismor, and Razorcrests here in May.

Have we voted on any of these?  What was the consensus?

I have been so busy with work and waning interest in the game, I have no idea what's going on anymore XD But I'm trying very hard to get back into it at least a little bit, lol. I'm going to try and get a few dragons named and such this weekend.

@Grandmother_cathie we currently have a serious lack-of-mods-with-time&energy issue. I'm afraid, as long as nobody steps up to take over at least some of the duties, votings etc. will happen very infrequently and whoever wants to know how things stand will have to dig through the thread themselves. :(

On 6/12/2018 at 3:17 AM, Lastalda said:

@Grandmother_cathie we currently have a serious lack-of-mods-with-time&energy issue. I'm afraid, as long as nobody steps up to take over at least some of the duties, votings etc. will happen very infrequently and whoever wants to know how things stand will have to dig through the thread themselves. :(

I completely understand!   Here is what I've found:

Floral-Crowned Dragons - "Dragons that grow flowers on their heads? Floral pheromones? Prolonged flower life?"

1. Fiona - Yes (Life)
  2. Silver_tiger - Yes (Life)
  3. Mak0 - Yes (life)
  4. Stormfriend - Yes (Life)
  5. Grandmother_Cathie - Yes (Life)
  6. rrattts - Yes (life)
  7. Lavinia - Yes (life)

Floret Wyverns - "They're magical. They promote peace and peace of mind. They share knowledge."

1. PhantomoftheWolves - Yes (Life)
  2. Lavinia - Undecided (Life)  @Lavinia - thanks for the save on these guys - I missed them!
  3. Grandmother_Cathie - Yes (Life)

Freckled Dragons

1. Fiona - No
  2. Grandmother_Cathie - No
  3. Lavinia - No

Tatterdrakes

1. Fiona - No
  2. Grandmother_Cathie - No
  3. Lavinia - No

Red-Tailed Wyrms - "use air mana to fly. They have no arms, no legs and no visible wings, but they fly.  That's pretty different. I think they fit the concept of an air element but not our official definition of the Wind element. "

1. Fiona - Undecided
  2. Grandmother_cathie - Yes (Air)
  3. Lavinia - No

Leodon - "mastery of Fire Magic.  They are also intended to be adept with magic.  what looks like fire breath and a tail that may or may not be on fire at the end. "

1. Lastalda - Yes (Fire)
  2. Grandmother_cathie - yes (Fire)
  3. others commented, but I couldn't tell exactly what their vote was.
  4. Lavinia - Yes in Fire IF their tail is on fire.

Lacula - "They are also intended to be adept with magic"

1. Lastalda - No
  2. Grandmother_cathie - No
  3. Lavinia - No

Melismor - "They are also intended to be adept with magic.  Magical burrows, tasty plant life. Seems elemental.  However, influencing plant tastiness in their burrow's vicinity would point towards Life, not Earth.   use earth magic to create and maintain elaborate tunnel networks"

1. Lastalda - No
  2. Grandmother_cathie - Yes (Earth)
  3. Lavinia - Undecided, but if yes, then earth
  4. others commented, but I couldn't tell exactly what their vote was.

Razorcrest Wyverns - "manipulate the wind/weather to win fights and subdue or trap prey.  Description explicitly mentions their strong connection to the air element. Yeah, Razorcrests are pretty strongly magical  "The Razorcrest just blew me away! LITERALLY!"" - wind magic.  Manipulating gusts of air (which do qualify as weather) in combat situations is really not enough for me.  Maybe if they did most things in their life by manipulating gusts of air and had a second qualification (such as connection to the cosmos or spending the vast majority of their lives in the air).  The description says it even, the fundamental thing about Razorcrest Wyverns that influences everything about them on a fundamental level is not the wind, but rather "their wit pervades every aspect of their personalities. "

1. Stormfriend - Yes (Air)
  2. Lastalda - undecided but leaning to yes (Wind)
  3. Grandmother_cathie - Yes (Wind)
  4. Lavinia - No

Would it be OK to leave comments open until June 30th and then have an official vote from July 1st through 7th?

Edited by Grandmother_cathie
updating votes